MLB Lifetime Pass

Nigel Tufnel

I had never heard of this, but apparently MLB has had a golden ticket program for 75+ years, where ex-players can attend any regular season game for free for life. Currently, you need 8 years of service to qualify. None of the other major sports do this.

Charles Lindbergh had one. Jose Bautista tweeted a pic of his. The National League gave one to Babe Ruth, but the American League shunned him. The first of its kind went to Teddy Roosevelt.

Part of an exclusive club, each of these figures received a Lifetime Pass.

Major League Baseball's version of the golden ticket from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, the prestigious card grants free admission to MLB games for life to any player, manager, coach or umpire with at least eight years of MLB experience. Full-time front office personnel, including general managers, marketing and public relations officials, receive it after 25 years of service.

Similarly, Hall of Fame pitcher and current Orioles color analyst Jim Palmer, who keeps his Pass in his dresser drawer, told The Toronto Star it is more symbolic than practical and that he probably won't ever use it.

"I don't think I ever will," the former Oriole said. "I have a media pass with my picture on it."

While also with the Orioles, current Cubs reliever Kevin Gregg was presented with his by Baltimore's traveling secretary. Gregg, who has pitched for the Angels, Marlins, Blue Jays, Orioles and Cubs, showed it off to his then-Oriole teammates.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that MLB also gave these same passes to all 52 of the Iranian hostages in 1981.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201307/major-league-baseball-lifetime-pass

EDIT: I forgot to mention that MLB also gave these same passes to all 52 of the Iranian hostages in 1981.

That's the first time I ever heard of it and it sounded pretty cool, but not cool enough (by far) to go through 444 days of miserable captivity. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about which is longer: hostage captivity in Iran or a current Red Sox / Yankees game (I think enough time has passed for that joke attempt).

I had never heard of this, but apparently MLB has had a golden ticket program for 75+ years, where ex-players can attend any regular season game for free for life. Currently, you need 8 years of service to qualify. None of the other major sports do this.

Damn. Some people get all the breaks.

Archived