Who finishes #1? Davis or Cabrera?

Moose Milligan

Who ends up with the home run crown?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who ends up with the home run crown?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Chris Davis, but this poll reminds me of the bs "Player of the Game" polls at the end of Orioles games....

Orioles losing 10-2. Player of the Game voting:

A. Markakis 1 for 4 with a double and run scored 86%

B. Freddy Garcia 5 innings, 6ER (Jim Hunter: "He was gritty and he really kept us in the game") 10%

C Josh Hamilton 4 for 4 with 4 home runs 4%

I mean, I get that this is an Orioles fan board, but 78% REALLY think Chris is gonna hang on to this? I can't believe this poll is not closer.

So it seems like no one thinks Crush can catch Cabrera in RBI's; it's 128 to 118 now, and, of course, highly dependent on how the hitters ahead of them do.

He's gotta not miss on RISP situations to close that gap, cuz I think guys will be on. Davis is no slouch hitting .360, but Miggy's over 80pts higher with RISP, I don't see that gap closing. And all those strikeouts are gonna do him in as far as catching up in RBI, IMO.

Well just now, IBB for Cabrera with men on 1st and 3rd and two outs--and it paid off: Fielder flied out, inning over (not good for us BTW, still 7-4 Oakland). Maybe teams will just stop pitching to Cabrera altogether and Crush will cruise to the HR crown...

Why would they just now decide to stop pitching to Cabrera? It took until Sept to figure out that's the move? lol

I love Chris Davis, but this poll reminds me of the bs "Player of the Game" polls at the end of Orioles games....

B. Freddy Garcia 5 innings, 6ER (Jim Hunter: "He was gritty and he really kept us in the game") 10%

I mean, I get that this is an Orioles fan board, but 78% REALLY think Chris is gonna hang on to this? I can't believe this poll is not closer.

Don't get me started on the "Player of the Game Poll" just because of the example you gave. Keep the poll but rename it as the "Orioles Player of the Game" and don't even list opposing players.

As for the HR race, I'm pulling for Cabrera. Nothing against Davis but last year, Cabrera was the first player to win the Triple Crown since Yaz in 1967 which was pretty amazing. This year he is 30 points ahead of Davis in BA and 12 ahead in RBI's while trailing by only3 HR's, which is very, very close. I hope he catches and passes Davis so we can have the first ever back-to-back Triple Crown winner. It's about history.

I think as one poster mentioned, Davis' numbers might be motivating Cabrera. But I also think at some point, if he's not doing so already, Davis will be looking over his shoulder and watching the Tigers scoreboard to see what Cabrera is doing.

I can't believe some of y'all Orioles fans would rather see Miggy win a second triple crown than have an Oriole lead the league. Yeah, it was cool when he did it last season, I agree, but I don't really care that much if he does it again. And I definitely don't prefer that to one of our own leading the league! When is the last time an Oriole did that?

Except Davis is currently in the lead, so I would assume that were someone making odds it would still make sense to give him the edge. I think you may be going too far on the removal of homer shades and overshooting the objective mark here a bit.

I can't believe some of y'all Orioles fans would rather see Miggy win a second triple crown than have an Oriole lead the league. Yeah, it was cool when he did it last season, I agree, but I don't really care that much if he does it again. And I definitely don't prefer that to one of our own leading the league! When is the last time an Oriole did that?

Last year was the first time in 45 years a Triple Crown was awarded; an event that half the members of this board probably had never witnessed. It was historic. To do it 2 years in a row would be unheard of.

Davis, unless he breaks the all-time HR record, is a nice side story and a major achievement in the eyes of Orioles fans as contributing to team history. But if he hits, say, 58 HR's, it's really not going to be something that many baseball fans will reflect upon years down the road and say, "Hey; remember the summer of 2013 when Chris Davis hit 58 HR's? That was close to the all time record."

Again, I've got nothing against Davis. But I'll take witnessing history over an anecdote.

Last year was the first time in 45 years a Triple Crown was awarded; an event that half the members of this board probably had never witnessed. It was historic. To do it 2 years in a row would be unheard of.

Davis, unless he breaks the all-time HR record, is a nice side story and a major achievement in the eyes of Orioles fans as contributing to team history. But if he hits, say, 58 HR's, it's really not going to be something that many baseball fans will reflect upon years down the road and say, "Hey; remember the summer of 2013 when Chris Davis hit 58 HR's? That was close to the all time record."

Again, I've got nothing against Davis. But I'll take witnessing history over an anecdote.

This!

And also, I'm not rooting against Davis, but for 80% of the poll to think that Davis will maintain this slim 3 homer lead for another 33 games, that to me is "orange colored glasses" voting. Miggy is absolutely ON FIRE right now. Unless Chris goes on a home run binge, I think (not hope, but think) that Miggy catches him.

This!

And also, I'm not rooting against Davis, but for 80% of the poll to think that Davis will maintain this slim 3 homer lead for another 33 games, that to me is "orange colored glasses" voting. Miggy is absolutely ON FIRE right now. Unless Chris goes on a home run binge, I think (not hope, but think) that Miggy catches him.

Fair point, but if I'm not mistaken Davis has been in the HR lead since day 1 of the season (at the least tied for the lead). I think it's reasonable to expect another HR explosion from Davis similar to what we've seen several other times from Davis this season. So again, were I making odds, I would think Davis would be ahead.

This!

I'm not rooting for Davis to stop hitting HR either, but seriously, what Cabrera is doing is so much more impressive. Cabrera was 7 back not long ago, now he's 3 back. He's going to pass Davis soon. No shame in the best hitter in the world edging you out in a HR race.

This!

Over their last 23 games, Davis has hit 9 homers and Cabrera has hit 11. The Tigers have 31 games left and the Orioles have 33 games left. At that pace, Cabrera won't pass Davis (though he might be dead even). A four homer lead isn't really "slim" (and it was 4 when the poll started) when that accounts for about 9 percent of the home run total, it is only slightly more slim than Cabrera's 12 RBI lead, which most fans don't see Davis surpassing.

Over their last 23 games, Davis has hit 9 homers and Cabrera has hit 11. The Tigers have 31 games left and the Orioles have 33 games left. At that pace, Cabrera won't pass Davis (though he might be dead even). A four homer lead isn't really "slim" (and it was 4 when the poll started) when that accounts for about 9 percent of the home run total, it is only slightly more slim than Cabrera's 12 RBI lead, which most fans don't see Davis surpassing.

This is an area where I think the bottom of the lineup hitting better will really help Davis. With him in third, guys like roberts getting on and the lineup turning over one or two more times here and there will give him more opportunities.

That is good and all, I personally couldn't care less about MLB stats and records unless it relates to the Orioles.

Some of you are competing over who is most logical and objective like it wins you points on a test. Being a homer and an Orioles fan is uncool here.

Archived