Who finishes #1? Davis or Cabrera?

Moose Milligan

Who ends up with the home run crown?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who ends up with the home run crown?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that Davis will hang on for the title.

Cabrera hasn't hit a home run since August 26th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=cabremi01&t=b&year=2013

Hang on? He has extended his lead and is threatening to take the RBI crown away from the dinged up Cabrera.

I think that it's in the bag. In fact, I've felt that way for about a week, now.

But if you go back and read some of the posts in the first few pages of the thread, you might think that Cabrera is capable of swatting 8 or 9 home runs in the Tiger's final 12 games.

I think that it's in the bag. In fact, I've felt that way for about a week, now.

But if you go back and read some of the posts in the first few pages of the thread, you might think that Cabrera is capable of swatting 8 or 9 home runs in the Tiger's final 12 games.

He certainly is, if he is healthy.

He isn't.

I do not care about Cabrera winning the TC per se, but it is a hell of a feat that had not happened since 1967 until last year. It had also not happened two yrs in a row since 66-67 (Frobby). And has never been won two years in a row by the same player. To see him miss because of an injury is part of the game, but imho bad for baseball. And that is not to take a single thing away from Crush!

I do not care about Cabrera winning the TC per se, but it is a hell of a feat that had not happened since 1967 until last year. It had also not happened two yrs in a row since 66-67 (Frobby). And has never been won two years in a row by the same player. To see him miss because of an injury is part of the game, but imho bad for baseball. And that is not to take a single thing away from Crush!

It has nothing to do with injuries. Cabrera has never hit more than 44 home runs in a season. Chris Davis currently has 50 and most likely will have more by the end of the season. Cabrera really has never been close to Chris all season.

Baloney. I'm not "competing" to be logical or objective. A question was posed as to who will finish first; Davis or Cabrera. I didn't even vote. I stated that if I had my druthers, I'd rather witness history. If Davis was on a pace to pass the all-time MLB HR record, which he isn't, I'd be pulling for him. That would be a significant achievement. But it appears that is unlikely to happen. If he passes the all-time Orioles record for HR's in a season that's all well and good but a team record is not nearly as significant in the overall baseball world as an historical MLB record, which is what Cabrera is shooting for.

It would be more witnessing history if you see Chris Davis win home run title. I have seen Chris Davis in person 15 times this year and have only seen Cabrera once in person. Frankly it excites me absolutely zero for Cabrera to win the triple crown. Putting three stats together doesn't mean anything to me. How many bases has Cabrera stolen this year? How does he rank among third basemen in the league? How many doubles does he have.

So Frank obviously led the league in 1966, Eddie tied for the lead with like 17 other guys in 1981... have any other O's led the league in homers? I can't think of anyone.

Going back to 1954 (when the team came from St. Louis), no.

Going back to the start of the franchise (1901), Vern Stephens led the league in home runs for the Browns in 1945, and Ken Williams did so also in 1922.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr5.shtml

By the way, of the 3 players that Murray shared the home run title with in 1981, 2 of them (Bobby Grich and Dwight Evans) were either former or future Orioles.

Only Tony Armas of the Athletics had never played for them (the Orioles.)

Going back to 1954 (when the team came from St. Louis), no.

Going back to the start of the franchise (1901), Vern Stephens led the league in home runs for the Browns in 1945, and Ken Williams did so also in 1922.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr5.shtml

Neither the Orioles that became the Yankees nor the old Orioles of the National League had a player that led the league in Home Runs.

Neither the Orioles that became the Yankees nor the old Orioles of the National League had a player that led the league in Home Runs.

Lip Pike led the National Association in homers while playing for the Baltimore Canaries in both 1872 and 1873. His seven round-trippers in '72 were more than double the total of the #2 guy in the league.

Archived