Johnson Part of the Core

Can_of_corn

I agree with Gordo, this isn't a firm declaration that he intends to stay.
He would be crazy to do that. It would insure that the O's would lowball him if they offered an extension. He can't answer that question directly. I'm sure he has been carefully coached by Boras.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget starters. Lots of halfway competent starters could probably move to the pen and do it. All they need is a lot of close games and a manager that is governed by the Save Rule.

That would certainly include Buck, despite all filmed advertisements to the contrary.

Just out of curiousity, why are you and a few others so BITTER about JJ and saves? It is like a personal affront to some of you. I get it that really smart people like you know that the save is silly and anyone can do it and yada yada yada, but why be so nasty about it? The guy didn't kick your dog.

Johnson pitched fine today. Two routine ground balls for base hits and a ringing line drive for a base hit. He hung tough despite the issues when a lot of guys would have folded. Personally, I'm happy we've got him our side. I'm also happy the Orioles won today so I'm ready to be happy for us rather than snarky about something so relatively trivial.

My 2 cents...

For myself...

I don't see the value in allowing a player to accumulate stats that will only raise team cost to retain said player.

Buck just handed Moye Sports Associates their first bullet point in an arbitration hearing.

For myself...

I don't see the value in allowing a player to accumulate stats that will only raise team cost to retain said player.

Buck just handed Moye Sports Associates their first bullet point in an arbitration hearing.

Perhaps he also just made him a more attractive trade chip.

Just out of curiousity, why are you and a few others so BITTER about JJ and saves? It is like a personal affront to some of you. I get it that really smart people like you know that the save is silly and anyone can do it and yada yada yada, but why be so nasty about it? The guy didn't kick your dog.

Johnson pitched fine today. Two routine ground balls for base hits and a ringing line drive for a base hit. He hung tough despite the issues when a lot of guys would have folded. Personally, I'm happy we've got him our side. I'm also happy the Orioles won today so I'm ready to be happy for us rather than snarky about something so relatively trivial.

My 2 cents...

I feel the same way. We all know JJ wasn't great this year. But JJ isn't the Antichrist, either. I'm glad he finished the year on a high note and accomplished some milestones that are pretty tough to achieve, even if they are opportunity-dependent.

My 2 cents...

Because I don't like our manager overvaluing guys like Johnson and our GM apparently willing to overpay for him, I have some personal agenda with Jim Johnson? Really?

You find my sarcasm/humor "nasty" and feel the need to ask me if he kicked my dog?

You're the judge on assessing fandom and what kind of humor is appropriate on the board now?

You're taking yourself far too seriously man.

I feel the same way. We all know JJ wasn't great this year. But JJ isn't the Antichrist, either. I'm glad he finished the year on a high note and accomplished some milestones that are pretty tough to achieve, even if they are opportunity-dependent.

Every milestone is opportunity dependent. In baseball, you make your opportunity by succeeding.

Thanks. I wasn't aware you felt that way. You've been mighty circumspect on the issue.

I kind of thought after Frobby posted the save percentage stats for the last 15 years and the shutdown/meltdown stats for the rest of the bullpen this year that maybe there would be some consideration that ending wins isn't as easy as some of us would like to believe, but I don't think it is going to happen. JJ will be gone pretty soon and then we'll see how easy he is to replace. I hope the same folks are just as accountable when that happens because I'd put the chances that our "closer" will have less success than even this season at 2 in 3. I don't want to pay him 8-9 mil per year either and that is a reasonable argument, but the rest of this stuff isn't reasonable IMHO.

I am willing to risk a less successful "closer" if I am paying him 8 or even 6 million less then I am Johnson. You can use that money to pick up a couple wins somewhere else.

Archived