Johnson Part of the Core

Can_of_corn

I don't think I'm the one taking myself too seriously. If you don't think your post came across as nasty, I'm not sure what to tell you. Post a poll and I'll leave the board if I'm wrong.

It would have been ok if you hadn't added the "thing of beauty" comment. That was just taking a shot and you know it.

They're going through withdrawals. Johnson hasn't blown a save in 6 weeks. They also had the over on 9 blown saves.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you write the checks for the O's now?

figure of speech

n. pl. figures of speech

An expression that uses language in a nonliteral way, such as a metaphor or synecdoche, or in a structured or unusual way, such as anaphora or chiasmus, or that employs sounds, such as alliteration or assonance, to achieve a rhetorical effect.

figure of speech

n. pl. figures of speech

An expression that uses language in a nonliteral way, such as a metaphor or synecdoche, or in a structured or unusual way, such as anaphora or chiasmus, or that employs sounds, such as alliteration or assonance, to achieve a rhetorical effect.

If it's not your money, what do you care? Other then to bash Johnson more? He hasn't blown a save in 6 weeks so you need to complain about something.

If it's not your money, what do you care? Other then to bash Johnson more? He hasn't blown a save in 6 weeks so you need to complain about something.

I think even you will agree that the O's will not have an unlimited budget next season.

Every dollar they overspend on a closer is money that will not be available to help elsewhere.

It is exactly that simple.

I am willing to risk a less successful "closer" if I am paying him 8 or even 6 million less then I am Johnson. You can use that money to pick up a couple wins somewhere else.

You write "closer" as if it is an abstract concept. While that may be the case from a purely statistical point of view, teams do in fact want a closer on their team, just as they want an ace. All the numbers in the world might back you up, theoretically, but teams that go far in playoffs do have closers.

You write "closer" as if it is an abstract concept. While that may be the case from a purely statistical point of view, teams do in fact want a closer on their team, just as they want an ace. All the numbers in the world might back you up, theoretically, but teams that go far in playoffs do have closers.

VAtech used "closer" I was following his lead.

I don't think I'm the one taking myself too seriously. .

Yeah, I think you are, and I am almost certain that no one with any sense would consider that I have some personal issue with Jim Johnson based on my humor/sarcasm. I don't need to post a poll about it. There are have been many discussions about Jim Johnson, of which I'm sure you and I have participated. None of them involved him kicking my dog.

It would have been ok if you hadn't added the "thing of beauty" comment. That was just taking a shot and you know it

Again, I think you need to get a sense of humor. If anybody is taking things personally, it is you.

You think Johnson's saves are generally efficient then? Including the one today?

I think even you will agree that the O's will not have an unlimited budget next season.

Every dollar they overspend on a closer is money that will not be available to help elsewhere.

It is exactly that simple.

And that gives you the right, the need to be a ___ and beotch and moan about an accomplishment?

Every team has a designated "closer" for the most part. How they value them, where they get them, to what extent they use them, and how they pay them is a different matter.

Shutdowns and Meltdowns are great stats. However, shutdown percentage (by which people seem to mean, and correct me if I'm wrong, SD/(SD+MD)) is not a good stat. Shutdowns and meltdowns occur in different game situations, and a pitcher who has an opportunity for one may not have an opportunity to records the other. For example, a reliever who pitches one inning with his team down by a run may record a meltdown (by increasing the deficit) but can't record a shutdown.

Additionally, many pitchers receive very few SDs and MDs on the year, and a percentage list is likely to be dominated by those who pitch fewer of them and happen to do well. An 11/0 SD/MD split is fantastic, but not necessarily better than a 24/4 split, depending on what else happened.

For a while I was playing around with the concept of a "shutdown opportunity," and even had a working definition, but recording the data from the play-by-play was incredibly time-consuming, so I dropped the project.

Archived