Mets have talked to O's about Markakis

sportsfan8703

The way I see it is that a trade for Nick isn't going to happen anytime soon. The best thing for the O's would be for Choo, Granderson, and Ellsbury to sign huge deals. The higher their deals get the more Nick's trade value goes up. It would put them in a situation where they'd have to choose having Nick for 1 year with a option or having to go multiple years on a guy like Cruz. Once these big contracts start being given out Markakis, Hardy and Wieters value will only go up.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we all like Nick... but I'm easily in the "bag of balls" category. That $15M is really a problem right now. I don't think there'd be a noticeable difference between Kakes and Hank in RF next year, save for the enormous cost of the former.

Its not really that big of a problem its his production thats been a bummer. Pujols and Josh Hamilton contracts would be a big problem. Markakis wont be getting that type of money next season unless he rebounds.

What do you think accounts for the general perception or "common wisdom" in this situation? Do you think its just a general assumption about human behavior? Going further, is there potentially confirmation bias regarding this assumption to highlight instances of a player performing highly and getting paid while ignoring those that perform on par with previous performances or that hold steady? I would think the level of improvement might actually be somewhat statistically significant just because players in their "walk" year following years of arbitration are probably at the middle of their respective primes. Was the Forbes article in regards to players hitting FA for the first time or after their first ML deal? Because if its the latter it could have to do with some players who had been in steady states of decline (who didn't then get paid the big bucks) dragging down the overall average. Just spitballing here. Would be interesting to see the article, though. Do you have a link?

Found it!!!

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/13/yankees-phillies-astros-business-sports-bloomberg-baseball.html

Oh, I don't think I would go quite that far in my Nicky nihilism. Urrutia has a ways to go to show he can even be an adequate outfielder, much less play right field anywhere close to Nick. If Urrutia were in RF next year, I suspect you would be uttering a few choice words as balls bounced off the Camden Yards wall at bizarro angles and turned into triples rather than being thrown out at second.

Urrutia is not an adequate outfielder? And you are basing that on what exactly? His AA manager, Gary Kendall, said he was solid in RF when he played there for him. Have you seen him play a number of games in the field that tells you otherwise?

I think the common misperception is that he can't play out there because of some comments Brian Graham made when he first came up, but I think a lot of that was due to rust. I'll trust the the opinion of Kendall, he's a good baseball guy and been around the game a long time.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/04/kendall-on-urrutia-urrutia-on-the-orioles.html

Urrutia is not an adequate outfielder? And you are basing that on what exactly? His AA manager, Gary Kendall, said he was solid in RF when he played there for him. Have you seen him play a number of games in the field that tells you otherwise?

I think the common misperception is that he can't play out there because of some comments Brian Graham made when he first came up, but I think a lot of that was due to rust. I'll trust the the opinion of Kendall, he's a good baseball guy and been around the game a long time.

I was responding to the comment that suggested that Urrutia would be equally as good as Nick Markakis in right field in 2014. Hard to see that.

I was responding to the comment that suggested that Urrutia would be equally as good as Nick Markakis in right field in 2014. Hard to see that.

What you suggested was that he couldn't be adequate much less compare to Nick. Nick by the way is below league average in range factor and negative in DRS. He has experience, but at his price tag I'd argue it makes sense to bring up Henry. He's almost a younger version of Nick offensively and the money can be used to purchase a FA where we have a real hole.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/04/kendall-on-urrutia-urrutia-on-the-orioles.html

There are many reports labeling Hank as below average defensively. We've heard it from some in the organization; we've heard it from outside of the organization. To dismiss them because his manager paid him a compliment is short-sighted imo.

For example:

Defensively, it is not pretty, and in the games I saw, he misplayed multiple balls in the outfield. Overall, Urrutia may have enough offensive ability to get to the majors, but he lacks an obvious profile and will have to improve his defense to stay in the lineup.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21188

To be clear, I think Nick will bounce back and should not be moved in a salary dump. If we can make a deal and have to sweeten it by sending some money, then fine.

I don't think payroll needs to be dumped at all, what with the extra TV money and all.

That being said, Nick is #2 on my list if payroll does need to be cleared.

What you suggested was that he couldn't be adequate much less compare to Nick. Nick by the way is below league average in range factor and negative in DRS. He has experience, but at his price tag I'd argue it makes sense to bring up Henry. He's almost a younger version of Nick offensively and the money can be used to purchase a FA where we have a real hole.

Nick has been and will be a much better outfielder than Henry Urrutia will be in 2014. You can believe that Urrutia would be OK defensively in right field. The price tag is what it is, but that doesn't change the fact that Nick is not going to be easily tradeable for any meaningful return, so the Os are going to have to hope that he rebounds offensively and Urrutia may be a left field option or might benefit more from playing full-time and working on his defense and improving his power numbers at Norfolk.

Would you do a Ike Davis for Markakis deal, get a righty to platoon with him at 1st and move Chris Davis to RF? I thought he looked real good out there when Markakis went down in Sept. '12.
Why would the Mets possibly give up Ike Davis for Markakis?

Have you seen what Ike has done recently?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisik02.shtml

When I see Ike Davis, I look at the advanced batting stats and see someone poised for a rebound:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisik02-bat.shtml

His ISO dropped .100 in 2013, and his BABIP was abysmal, all while still posting a .326 OBP. His 15% walk percentage was actually pretty good. In addition, he hit MUCH better in the second half, absolutely crushing the ball in August (SLG of .522). A Davis for Markakis swap is something I could definitely get on board with. Even if Davis doesn't rebound, we shed a ton of salary, and get a good "change of scenery" candidate.

Archived