Its now 2014 and we haven't made any notable moves

AlbionHero

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have we waited too long? At this point pretty much everyone left requires draft pick compensation while likely not worth it or barely starter caliber to begin with. We're getting to the point where theres really not much offseason left.

Since it is January the 1st you may want to wait until after the holidays are over.

Still lots of time for trades.

Have we waited too long? At this point pretty much everyone left requires draft pick compensation while likely not worth it or barely starter caliber to begin with. We're getting to the point where theres really not much offseason left.

If the O's add:

Burnett or Arroyo

Balfour

and trade for a DH

The off season will look pretty good IMO.

I think they are waiting until after the Tanaka sweepstakes are over to address the SP issue. As are many teams. Then Burnett, Arroyo, and Hammel will be options that don't require a pick. They will also be looking at the market for Morales and Cruz. I doubt they sign Balfour.

Since it is January the 1st you may want to wait until after the holidays are over.

Still lots of time for trades.

And that same logic has applied to how many winyers now? The O's won't spend significant money. They won't trade anyone of value to get anyone. Those two factors equate to moves that won't improve this team enough to realistically compete in this division. Sure, there's times for moves to be made. Problem is, there won't be any made that will help much. The O's have eliminated a lot of potential moves already by being cheap. I'm not worried about it anymore. I'm numb to it and quite content because of it. It will be nice spending quality time with the family this summer doing other things not related to the Orioles. Happy New Year.

I think they are waiting until after the Tanaka sweepstakes are over to address the SP issue. As are many teams. Then Burnett, Arroyo, and Hammel will be options that don't require a pick. They will also be looking at the market for Morales and Cruz. I doubt they sign Balfour.

Yes. Wait for Tanaka to sign with the Dodgers or Yankees, then fight the other 10 teams that didn't get Tanaka for the Garzas and Arroyos of the world. Solid plan.

And that same logic has applied to how many winyers now? The O's won't spend significant money. They won't trade anyone of value to get anyone. Those two factors equate to moves that won't improve this team enough to realistically compete in this division. Sure, there's times for moves to be made. Problem is, there won't be any made that will help much. The O's have eliminated a lot of potential moves already by being cheap. I'm not worried about it anymore. I'm numb to it and quite content because of it. It will be nice spending quality time with the family this summer doing other things not related to the Orioles. Happy New Year.

Yet here you are posting on an Orioles' message board on January 1. Something tells me that, good or bad, you'll be following the Orioles as closely as always this summer.

When it comes to bats, I think you are correct. The only middle-of-the-order hitters left on the free agent market are Cruz and Morales, and neither is special enough to warrant giving up a draft pick.

But pitching was the biggest problem with the 2013 O's, and I think there are still options for improving the rotation and the bullpen. Bronson Arroyo would be a meaningful upgrade over Scott Feldman--he'd probably be their number two starter. Burnett would also be an upgrade, although I think he'll either stay with Pittsburgh or retire. Rodney would not necessarily be an upgrade on JJ by himself, but Rodney/Webb could arguably be considered an upgrade over JJ/K-Rod.

So there's still time to make the O's legitimate contenders. But options are running out quickly. If you see Arroyo and Rodney signing somewhere else in the next two weeks, I wouldn't blame you for throwing in the towel on 2014.

Yes. Wait for Tanaka to sign with the Dodgers or Yankees, then fight the other 10 teams that didn't get Tanaka for the Garzas and Arroyos of the world. Solid plan.
What's your plan, out bid the MFY and the LAD for Tanaka? Yeah that's the ticket. The guy's going to get over 20M per for at least 6 years. :rolleyestf:

Yes. We have.

keep-calm-but-we-re-all-doomed1.png

If the O's add:

Burnett or Arroyo

Balfour

and trade for a DH

The off season will look pretty good IMO.

Burnett would get lit up in the AL East. After the way the Orioles treated Balfour, do you seriously believe he'd ever sit down at the table with them again? To trade for something of value you have to trade value. They'll keep shopping at "Dollar Store" and will keep overvaluing their prospects. (See Arrieta, Erbe, Matusz and Britton.)

Archived