DD on the O's CURRENT postseason potential

MrOrange82

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but it struck me as significant, particularly with all the recent conversations concerning the Orioles' organizational philosophy (or lack thereof). From Roch's blog:

I asked Duquette whether the team as currently constructed is good enough to make the playoffs.

"I think we have some more work to do to accomplish that, but we're making progress," he replied. "We added a couple left-handed hitters and there are some opportunities to help our pitching staff. Hopefully, we'll be able to help ourselves there.

"It's nice to win the offseason, but that's not always what it takes to have a competitive team. I would encourage fans to look at the players who are returning, and we have a very established starting pitching group. Our starting pitching is improving. If we could add another starter in the mix, that would be great.

"We have some more work to do, but we're progressing. I think (pitching coach) Dave Wallace will get the most out of the pitching staff."

I found the above interesting for a number of reasons.

First off, DD expressly acknowledged, IMO, that the O's are probably not good enough to make the playoffs as currently constituted. That's about as close to a direct answer to that kind of question that I've seen from DD.

Secondly, and somewhat paradoxically (at least in light of the conversations we've had here), he indicates that the team is only a couple players away from being good enough for the playoffs. Specifically, his focus seems to be on adding one starter to the rotation. Since Roch threw cold water on the idea that Garza, Jimenez, or Santana could be that starter, what does that say about DD's opinion of the rotation? Does it not need the "ace" for which many people have hoped? Does it only need a number 3/4-type guy? Who else but Burnett profiles as the kind of short-term, budget number 2 (or possibly better) starter that the Orioles could land?

I have my own opinions on the above (which includes being sick of hearing from DD about the team's returning players), but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think DD is really hot for Burnette. Enough to make him wait a while. He can only make a couple "big" moves now and he has to be very precise to maximize effect. AJ would at least slot #2. Maybe not a true 2 league wide but def a 2 for us. I think DD is taking a chance to risk getting much less (less than even Arroyo) by waiting out AJB.

At least for a while... January ticks away.

I feel, as currently constructed, we will have the 4th best starting rotation in the AL East and the 3rd best offense next year.

I anticipate DD's solution to solving this dilemna to be that of some washed up loser to compete for the #5th spot in camp, doing nothing to address the offense, and callin' it a day.

I sure would love for him to prove me wrong though.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but it struck me as significant, particularly with all the recent conversations concerning the Orioles' organizational philosophy (or lack thereof). From Roch's blog:

I found the above interesting for a number of reasons.

First off, DD expressly acknowledged, IMO, that the O's are probably not good enough to make the playoffs as currently constituted. That's about as close to a direct answer to that kind of question that I've seen from DD.

Secondly, and somewhat paradoxically (at least in light of the conversations we've had here), he indicates that the team is only a couple players away from being good enough for the playoffs. Specifically, his focus seems to be on adding one starter to the rotation. Since Roch threw cold water on the idea that Garza, Jimenez, or Santana could be that starter, what does that say about DD's opinion of the rotation? Does it not need the "ace" for which many people have hoped? Does it only need a number 3/4-type guy? Who else but Burnett profiles as the kind of short-term, budget number 2 (or possibly better) starter that the Orioles could land?

I have my own opinions on the above (which includes being sick of hearing from DD about the team's returning players), but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

How does Roch know or anyone else what DD's plans are for getting a pitcher. I

just don't see DD airing what or who he meets with and talks with. A good GM

keeps things close to the vest. IMO

I think it's a little significant for DD to say what he did, but duh! Right today now, we're not a Playoff contender. Basically what his whole statement said was "we're not done."

This organization won't pony up the years nor the $$$ required to land a top starting pitcher.

So barring some unforseen epiphany from Petey or the market for Starting Pitching completely collapsing I'd say its a pretty safe bet to cross Garza, Jimenez, and Santana off our list.

I think it's a little significant for DD to say what he did, but duh! Right today now, we're not a Playoff contender. Basically what his whole statement said was "we're not done."

That's what makes it interesting, though. I agree that taking Roch's statement (or the statement of any writer) without any degree of skepticism would be a mistake. For all Roch knows, DD's been talking with all three of the pitchers mentioned above, and also Burnett.

Of course, I would be extremely surprised if the Orioles signed even one of those guys, but that still begs a few questions: what if they did? What if the one guy they signed was, say, Ervin Santana? What if the one guy turned out to be Jimenez? Is he enough? Would either of those two complete the offseason? I think a lot of people would say "[Garza or Tanaka] or bust," and I couldn't blame them for doing so. But would one of those starting pitchers and a couple other complimentary pieces be enough to make the O's a playoff team?

I think there's work to be done before the O's are playoff-possible, and so does DD, evidently. What's most interesting to me is that his comments, IMO, indicate that he's a lot more bullish on the O's current roster than many of us are.

I still think we have a shot at Jimenez in the range of a 3 year/$42m contract after all the other starters are gobbled up. I think it's more likely we prefer Arroyo and Burnett, but oh well.

I do think we're going to sign one of these guys, but it will inevitably be disappointing. At least we know Duquette doesn't always talk out of both sides of his mouth to the media.

I think Dan wants to add a back of rotation starter and another reliever, and he will then declare us a "competitive ball club". Truth is, nobody really knows whether we'll contend or not. Unless you knew we were going to contend in 2012, don't pretend you know what'll happen in 2014.

I think Dan wants to add a back of rotation starter and another reliever, and he will then declare us a "competitive ball club". Truth is, nobody really knows whether we'll contend or not. Unless you knew we were going to contend in 2012, don't pretend you know what'll happen in 2014.

Personally I think (I think...) he will definitely sign some starter, trade for some position player (DH is a position). I'd love to see another solid pen arm but I'd say it's 50-50 that we do. 60-40.

Who besides Boston do you think has a better offense?

With the additions of Beltran, McCann, Teixiera, and Jeter I think the Yankees have the potential to pass us offensively. That line-up (assuming they can stay off the DL) has speed (Gardner+Ellsbury), OBP, and power potential littered throughout.

Well, I was hoping 2012 was not going to surface, because the "anything can happen, just look at [________]" is a fairly tired, weightless statement that can be applied to just about...anything.

Few people predicted 2012 because 2012 defied the odds, not because pre-2012 saw the Orioles put together a roster that, on the surface, should have been bound for the playoffs. And from the negative run differential that was beaten to death for much of that season, to the bullpen's late-inning, Herculean performances, to the team's record in one-run and extra inning games, the 2012 Orioles were surprising in every sense of the word. They experienced a tremendous run of good fortune that simply screamed "unrepeatable," and...guess what? They didn't repeat it last year.

Nobody "really knows" whether we'll contend or not. Who cares? I didn't start this thread because I was hoping someone would channel Dionne Warwick (pre-bankruptcy). I started it because the person in charge of putting together the Orioles 2014 roster made some interesting comments that more directly speak to his opinion of the team's current construction than most comments I've previously seen.

I won't pretend to know what will definitely happen in 2014, but I will speculate on the probabilities of certain outcomes. And chiming in with "anything's possible" doesn't add a single ounce of substance to that inquiry.

Archived