Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

Take the Fielder to TEX trade. How was it that all the people involved in that deal didn't leak it before it was final. I don't recall reading about Prince flying to TEX for his physical. It seems to me some teams are able to keep things quiet until things are final.

Yea take that trade CBSsports.com reported the agreement on November 20th and early on the 21st the details were being finalized according to Yahoo.com and Detroit papers even though the Tigers confirmed the trade late on the 20th, but the deal required MLB approval and I suspect physicals where done sometime after the 20th. Jon Heyman broke the story via twitter earlier on the 20th and the Tigers confirmed very late on the 20th. The deal was reported official on the 21st. So just because you did not know before it was official it does not mean that it was not reported.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea take that trade CBSsports.com reported the agreement on November 20th and early on the 21st the details were being finalized according to Yahoo.com and Detroit papers even though the Tigers confirmed the trade late on the 20th, but the deal required MLB approval and I suspect physicals where done sometime after the 20th. Jon Heyman broke the story via twitter earlier on the 20th and the Tigers confirmed very late on the 20th. The deal was reported official on the 21st. So just because you did not know before it was official it does not mean that it was not reported.
If the deal was reported as official on the 21 then you are saying the physicals were done sometime between the 20th and the 21? That seems impossible to me unless both players were already in their respective cities poised to dover as soon as the bell rang in the Commissioners office. :rolleyestf:

If the deal was reported as official on the 21 then you are saying the physicals were done sometime between the 20th and the 21? That seems impossible to me unless both players were already in their respective cities poised to dover as soon as the bell rang in the Commissioners office. :rolleyestf:

What exactly is your point. I have no idea when or even if physicals were done, I know the teams confirmed the deal less then 24 hours after they started talking so everything happened very fast. I have no idea when Bud signed off on the deal, I have no idea where the players were. I know that the teams were not able to keep it a secret for even 24 hours. You stated we need to be more like the Tigers and TEX and not release any info before deals where final. You also indicated this deal supported your position, somehow, that leaks always came from the O's FO. That because the two teams where able to keep a lid on all of the people that knew something was close (which by the way they didn't) somehow it proved that leaks did not come from those places. Guess what if Bud would have forced the cash to be handled differently that deal could have ended up just like the Balfour deal and for days after Heyman broke the story. Everyone would have been wondering what the hold up was. But my point was Heyman cited "Major league sources" prior to the teams announcing anything and the teams did not confirm until later that there was an agreement.

An interesting note on this deal is if the teams somehow had to compensate Kinsler for the Tax impact of leaving TX.

What exactly is your point. I have no idea when or even if physicals were done, I know the teams confirmed the deal less then 24 hours after they started talking so everything happened very fast. I have no idea when Bud signed off on the deal, I have no idea where the players were. I know that the teams were not able to keep it a secret for even 24 hours. You stated we need to be more like the Tigers and TEX and not release any info before deals where final. You also indicated this deal supported your position, somehow, that leaks always came from the O's FO. That because the two teams where able to keep a lid on all of the people that knew something was close (which by the way they didn't) somehow it proved that leaks did not come from those places. Guess what if Bud would have forced the cash to be handled differently that deal could have ended up just like the Balfour deal and for days after Heyman broke the story. Everyone would have been wondering what the hold up was. But my point was Heyman cited "Major league sources" prior to the teams announcing anything and the teams did not confirm until later that there was an agreement.

An interesting note on this deal is if the teams somehow had to compensate Kinsler for the Tax impact of leaving TX.

My point is simple. Deals aren't final until after the physical. Either in the Fielder deal physicals were given in record time, or they weren't given. It behooves both the O's and Colvin's agents to keep the lid on things, given Colvin's recent injury history and PA history with physicals. It would seem that one or both sides dropped the ball here and it could come back to bite them in the butt. We shall see.

My point is simple. Deals aren't final until after the physical. Either in the Fielder deal physicals were given in record time, or they weren't given. It behooves both the O's and Colvin's agents to keep the lid on things, given Colvin's recent injury history and PA history with physicals. It would seem that one or both sides dropped the ball here and it could come back to bite them in the butt. We shall see.

Some of us are telling you it could be neither side that leaked this. In reality these deals become almost impossible to keep a lid on once they reach a certain point even if both sides want to keep the lid on it. Also sometimes the team pretty much has to leak the possibility of a deal because, you know the player shows up at the team facilities and everyone sees him. Kind of like what happened in this case where Rock said the beat writers knew they had an agreement with another OF, even knew it was not a huge name and found out the name when you know he showed up in Sarasota. Why do you have so much trouble processing this stuff, oh yea you need it to fit your fiction.

BTW I have no idea what the connection between the Fielder deal and how it behooves the O's and Colvin's camp to run a totally black op. Just how the O's where going to do that with the player showing up in Sarasota to you know have the physical. Issue all the beat writers blindfolds?

Some of us are telling you it could be neither side that leaked this. In reality these deals become almost impossible to keep a lid on once they reach a certain point even if both sides want to keep the lid on it. Also sometimes the team pretty much has to leak the possibility of a deal because, you know the player shows up at the team facilities and everyone sees him. Kind of like what happened in this case where Rock said the beat writers knew they had an agreement with another OF, even knew it was not a huge name and found out the name when you know he showed up in Sarasota. Why do you have so much trouble processing this stuff, oh yea you need it to fit your fiction.

BTW I have no idea what the connection between the Fielder deal and how it behooves the O's and Colvin's camp to run a totally black op. Just how the O's where going to do that with the player showing up in Sarasota to you know have the physical. Issue all the beat writers blindfolds?

You should have stopped there.

I really don't care if this one becomes official or not. Is that bad? I don't think it's a bad deal and definitely worth a shot, but there are enough OFers in camp that if this falls through due to medical concerns I don't care. I get that it looks bad and may hinder business moving forward and that would suck, but for this particular deal. Whatever. Nice to have him in camp, not heart broken either way.

Come on guys, 2 for 2!

It seems you are implying that the O's have killed 2 out of 2 deals this offseason due to physicals. If so, you are so ridiculously wrong as to be full of it.

Peguero

Webb

Casilla

DeJesus

Lough

Brach

Escalona

De La Cruz

Hendriks

Monell

Weeks

Young

Aceves

All passed physicals and were added to the 40 man or signed to minor league contracts with invitations to ST.

Archived