Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

That sounds like what you can disclose about a player already under contract on your team.

Why would that matter? The player would have to sign a release for pre employment physical anyway. Anecodotally, both the Cubs and Red Sox discussed Dan Haren's hip when he wasn't under their control.

Keep in mind that players injuries are very public by there nature. The employment- related phase deals with what type of injuries can be discussed i.e. TJ is okay while diabetes isn't.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems you are implying that the O's have killed 2 out of 2 deals this offseason due to physicals. If so, you are so ridiculously wrong as to be full of it.

Peguero

Webb

Casilla

DeJesus

Lough

Brach

Escalona

De La Cruz

Hendriks

Monell

Weeks

Young

Aceves

All passed physicals and were added to the 40 man or signed to minor league contracts with invitations to ST.

C'mon Man. Never let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Most of those guys are on minor league contracts. Is it standard procedure to fly those guys into Baltimore and give them physicals? I don't know but I don't think so. I bet those guys are just given physicals when they report to ST.

I think that may be correct or reports exchanged electronically? Good question there.

Listening to an interview with Buck on XM MLB this morning, he mentioned having 10 OF coming to ST, then corrected himself and said "it's 11 now" Could they have finally cleared Colvin's physical? Who are the OF expected in camp this spring? AJ,Nick, Lough, Peguero, Reimold, Pearce, Urrutia, Young, Berry, who else?

Listening to an interview with Buck on XM MLB this morning, he mentioned having 10 OF coming to ST, then corrected himself and said "it's 11 now" Could they have finally cleared Colvin's physical? Who are the OF expected in camp this spring? AJ,Nick, Lough, Peguero, Reimold, Pearce, Urrutia, Young, Berry, who else?

Xavier Paul would be 11.

Paul is the 10th. But Colvin could still be the 11th.

Most of those guys are on minor league contracts. Is it standard procedure to fly those guys into Baltimore and give them physicals? I don't know but I don't think so. I bet those guys are just given physicals when they report to ST.

Brach, De La Cruz, Escalona, Hendriks, Webb, Monell, Weeks, Lough and Peguero are all on major league contracts and the 40-man roster. Every one of them would have had to pass a physical to complete the trade or free agent contract. That's 9 new players on 40 man contracts. One that failed his physical and still hasn't signed. One that has issues that have yet to be resolved.

Failure to spend what it takes to win it all, not just 81+ games is a major failure by ownership. Due diligence and refusing to throw away money on injured players is not.

As for the 2nd part, we still haven't seen everything. If no other moves are made, it certainly looks like a cost saving winter. Does anyone really know "spend what it takes to win it all" amounts to?

A good question. I'm not sure who on the market this winter - or last winter, for that matter - would have made that difference. Toronto spent a ton to win it all and failed miserably. So, simply spending money on the highest priced free agents is not the sure answer. Maybe DD is a genius and Gausman is the starter we're waiting for; maybe Peguero, Lough, Urrutia and Reimold can solve our problems in LF and at DH; maybe Aceves and Webb will bolster our bullpen someone here now will step seamlessly into the closer role. It's just a lot of maybe's and they haven't acquired anyone that you could look at the track record for that player and say, yeah, he's a plus major league player.

I have to think we are going to hear an announcement that he's been signed soon or that another team has signed him about 2 weeks from now. It doesn't look like we are going to get any details about what's going on in between.
They have had plenty of time to come to a decision on his medicals. So unless they are holding the roster spot open for a possible SP signing sometime after Tanaka Friday, I think they have passed on him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> agreed to terms with Colvin last week pending a physical, sources said. Could this be Grant Balfour redux?</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">January 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One source says Colvin has been hitting, throwing & working out 5 days a week in Arizona and hasn't had any problems. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From the "not this again'' department: Source says <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> are claiming there are issues with OF Tyler Colvin's physical.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

Archived