Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

Why? He has been cleared for baseball activities. He isn't currently broken.

"Cleared for baseball activities" does not mean "completely healthy." In order to start rehabbing, a player must be cleared for baseball activities. If Reimold is not deemed as 100% by opening day, he can be rightfully placed on the DL. That is not shenanigans, that is how it should be.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Cleared for baseball activities" does not mean "completely healthy." In order to start rehabbing, a player must be cleared for baseball activities. If Reimold is not deemed as 100% by opening day, he can be rightfully placed on the DL. That is not shenanigans, that is how it should be.

He was cleared for baseball activies around Christmas. Barring further injury there is no reason to assume he won't be healthy for the season opener.

I would rather he continue playing then go on a phantom DL assignment and minor league rehab.

Either he is healthy or he isn't, either he can hit, or he can't.

I am a Nolan fan but he has to produce or go.

I was a Nolan fan, at this point, I hate to say it, time to move on and let one of the younger bodies step into that spot.

I was a Nolan fan, at this point, I hate to say it, time to move on and let one of the younger bodies step into that spot.

I don't know if I would have given him the contract or not, I certainly would not have if I wasn't sure he would be completely recovered for spring training.

Since they did I am willing to support him one last time.

Man has mouths to feed!

I would rather he continue playing then go on a phantom DL assignment and minor league rehab.

Either he is healthy or he isn't, either he can hit, or he can't.

I am a Nolan fan but he has to produce or go.

He has to be healthy to produce. He was cleared for baseball activities, but it will take some time before the nerves in his hands and arms are 100%. I suspect they learned that when he reported to the mini-camp, and that's why they signed Delmon Young right away.

Keep him on the DL until his hands and arms are as good as they're going to be, then send him on a rehab assignment.

Nolan caught a bad break last year when he was cleared to play, even though his surgery was not successful. Perhaps the O's gave him the contract this year as a do-over after screwing up last year. Regardless, if they are serious about giving him an opportunity, they should optimize that opportunity by letting him be as healthy as he can be before asking him to produce.

If he can get healthy and produce on a rehab assignment, I won't be sorry to see him replace Delmon Young.

He was cleared for baseball activies around Christmas. Barring further injury there is no reason to assume he won't be healthy for the season opener.

I am assuming nothing. If he is not 100%, he can be placed on the DL. That is not an assumption.

This is completely untrue and quite frankly, I am sick of people giving Duquette a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I despise the fact that Angelos is the owner of this team more than the next guy but between the money saved from BRob's contract, the money saved by trading JJ and the extra $25 million from the TV network, there is money to be spent. It may not be as much as we all would prefer but there is money. For some reason, Duquette continues to take the "hope to find a diamond in the rough" mentality and it is extremely frustrating, especially since the Orioles have FINALLY become competitive again. I mean seriously, how many more times this offseason are we going to hear "No harm in this signing or that signing...it is just a minor league deal"? Yes...adding depth is very important but it sure as hell seems to me like Duquette has been more focused on improving our AAA team than our major league squad.

Good post. I was all aboard Ship DD until this offseason. I am very much questioning if he has what it takes. Angelos is cheap but some of these signings are a joke. Sure, no big deal one might say, but time and effort that goes into these signings is time away from what we really need: starting pitching improvement.

Big surprise: starting pitching wins championships. That should be your focus, get it done or you will be lied to rest in the GM graveyard like all the others.

Angelos won't approve? Escalate it. Get Buck involved, threaten to resign. Trade for pitchers under contract.

Agree 100%, DD needs to be held accountable. This has been the biggest failure of an offseason I have seen this far.

Good post. I was all aboard Ship DD until this offseason. I am very much questioning if he has what it takes. Angelos is cheap but some of these signings are a joke. Sure, no big deal one might say, but time and effort that goes into these signings is time away from what we really need: starting pitching improvement.

Big surprise: starting pitching wins championships. That should be your focus, get it done or you will be lied to rest in the GM graveyard like all the others.

Angelos won't approve? Escalate it. Get Buck involved, threaten to resign. Trade for pitchers under contract.

Agree 100%, DD needs to be held accountable. This has been the biggest failure of an offseason I have seen this far.

I completely disagree with you, 100% on this.

14 years of pure crap from this team, because of stupid moronic GMs that couldn't work the Angelos system.

Finally get a guy that can work the system and two years of winning baseball and you want to hang em?

Sorry, don't buy into your analysis.

"Threaten to resign?" Yeah, because Angelos always backs down from threats. Just ask Davey Johnson. "Get Buck involved?" First of all Buck works for Dan not the other way around. Did I mention Davey Johnson?

Trade for pitchers how exactly? Are you willing to trade Gausman, Bundy?

I completely disagree with you, 100% on this.

14 years of pure crap from this team, because of stupid moronic GMs that couldn't work the Angelos system.

Finally get a guy that can work the system and two years of winning baseball and you want to hang em?

Sorry, don't buy into your analysis.

My point is this: stop fooling around with AAAA fodder and go get what the team needs: A #1 or #2 SP, A #4 or #5 pitcher for insurance, a closer and a DH.

Yeah, yeah..right. I forgot...Everything is on hold because of Tanaka. Nobody will sign when money is offered at them:) Yeah right...

Are we winning because of DD's efforts or Buck's efforts? My guess is the latter by a long shot.

My point is this: stop fooling around with AAAA fodder and go get what the team needs: A #1 or #2 SP, A #4 or #5 pitcher for insurance, a closer and a DH.

Yeah, yeah..right. I forgot...Everything is on hold because of Tanaka. Nobody will sign when money is offered at them:) Yeah right...

Are we winning because of DD's efforts or Buck's efforts? My guess is the latter by a long shot.

I like to think its a combination of how well DD and Buck work together.

Andy went as far as saying their new facility in Sarasota was a major reason for the team's improvement.

Cust was quoted as saying the new facility was light years better than the old facility.

You mentioned getting 4 SP, some think this team needs 1 SP, and that 4 guys are pretty much penciled in.

"Threaten to resign?" Yeah, because Angelos always backs down from threats. Just ask Davey Johnson. "Get Buck involved?" First of all Buck works for Dan not the other way around. Did I mention Davey Johnson?

I have mentioned this repeatedly on posts. My only "inside" information I have ever had was a good source. My buddy and his father used to work as a scout under Tony LaCava. They were very close. I got a lot of good info during that process when he turned the O's down. My source was as reliable as they come. I would trust this guy with my life. He said Tony asked Peter Angelos at dinner: "Can I let Buck go"? The answer was no and Tony cited personal and family reasons for turning down the job. Bottom line-Buck doesn't work for DD, it is a lot more complicated under the Angelos reign. The organization is dysfunctional as it has ever been. The difference is that Buck knows what he is doing and has his ear, others were not as qualified.

I think people forget the rumors that Buck might become a GM at some point..they weren't just rumors I don't believe.

And DD can't make Arroyo sign. Burnett, Maholm, even Garza if things really stretch out. While he and 29 other GMs are waiting on the market DD is bringing in a lot of options for LF and DH. None great but many possibilities. The 50-man roster, the 75-man roster is filling up. SP is the one last key to the offseason. I feel confident DD will get one.

Why should Duquette be held accountable for not signing a bunch of expensive players when it's clear Angelos has given him a budget where that's all but impossible? It's fairly obvious to me: Duquette acquired top talent in his other jobs, and basically no other Angelos GM has.

Archived