Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't his AAA stats in Colorado Springs and the Pacific Coast League, last season, while decent enough, shouldn't they be taken with a grain of salt, since they are inflated by the high attitude?

Sure. Among players with 100+ PAs for the SkySox he was 8th in OPS, and this wasn't a good team. Not impressive for a 27-year-old MLB vet.

Age 32-35 seasons with a career OBP of 319. Eh, I wouldn't have minded picking him up at that price but he isn't exactly an on base machine. Lots of variance in his OBP season to season.
Infante's lifetime OBP is .319. Not really that great.

He isn't perfect, age is bit more then I'd like and his OBP is not consistent.

However, his career .319 OBP isn't the key number. He has put up great OBP seasons recently including .345 last year and .359 in 2010.

I think if you tell him his job is to get on base, he gets on base. As free agent 2B go its as good as one can hope for and it would have been a huge upgrade given the Flaherty/Weeks.

I think Lough and Pearce have LF pretty sewn up.

That leaves:

Reimold (1M guaranteed, no options)

Urrutia(3 options)

Colvin(1 option)

Young(minor league deal)

Almanzar(Rule 5)

Cust(minor league deal)

Paul(minor league deal)

Peguero(750k guaranteed, no options)

all fighting for 2 spots on the 25 man roster. My guess is Urrutia, Colvin, Cust, and Paul will take the corner OF and DH spots in Norfolk. Maybe one of Cust or Paul is released or opts out. Almanzar is shipping up to Boston. Peguero is DFAd, and potentially headed to Norfolk. Reimold and Young make the team. If Reimold can't cut it, then he goes to the DL and Urrutia or Colvin is the DH.

I think Lough and Pearce have LF pretty sewn up.

That leaves:

Reimold (1M guaranteed, no options)

Urrutia(3 options)

Colvin(1 option)

Young(minor league deal)

Almanzar(Rule 5)

Cust(minor league deal)

Paul(minor league deal)

Peguero(750k guaranteed, no options)

all fighting for 2 spots on the 25 man roster. My guess is Urrutia, Colvin, Cust, and Paul will take the corner OF and DH spots in Norfolk. Maybe one of Cust or Paul is released or opts out. Almanzar is shipping up to Boston. Peguero is DFAd, and potentially headed to Norfolk. Reimold and Young make the team. If Reimold can't cut it, then he goes to the DL and Urrutia or Colvin is the DH.

You left out Berry OF with Minor league deal

Why? He has been cleared for baseball activities. He isn't currently broken.

How many OF are in ST? I lost count.

He wont be shipped to AAA, enough younger bodies to fill those spots.

I guess because I dont feel Reimhold is going to be better than some of the other guys in camp, and the Birds end up putting him on the DL with some excuse.

How many OF are in ST? I lost count.

He wont be shipped to AAA, enough younger bodies to fill those spots.

I guess because I dont feel Reimhold is going to be better than some of the other guys in camp, and the Birds end up putting him on the DL with some excuse.

I think that if Nolan isn't performing (DH not OF imo) then they will do the same thing they did with Bergesen and try to recoup the one million.

I don't see how stashing him on the DL does anything except delay the inevitable. If they don't think he can hack it a couple week "rehab" trip to the minors isn't going to fix things.

Why? He has been cleared for baseball activities. He isn't currently broken.

Cold, wet weather in April is not a good situation for Reimold. He would be better activated in May. Even if he does well in Florida, do you want him trying not to pull something in 50 degree weather in April?

I think that if Nolan isn't performing (DH not OF imo) then they will do the same thing they did with Bergesen and try to recoup the one million.

I don't see how stashing him on the DL does anything except delay the inevitable. If they don't think he can hack it a couple week "rehab" trip to the minors isn't going to fix things.

You could very well be right, the first week of April, we will know the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say.

Cold, wet weather in April is not a good situation for Reimold. He would be better activated in May. Even if he does well in Florida, do you want him trying not to pull something in 50 degree weather in April?

I would rather he continue playing then go on a phantom DL assignment and minor league rehab.

Either he is healthy or he isn't, either he can hit, or he can't.

I am a Nolan fan but he has to produce or go.

Archived