Which dominant pitcher are the Orioles going to acquire?

mdbdotcom

Word is that the O's are continuing to look for a dominant starting pitcher. DD says it, reporters say it, and Brady Anderson says it. We also know that after all the arbitration raises are done, they will be at least $15 million south of the suspected budget limit of $100 million (as implied by DD after trading JJ).

Which pitcher do you think they will acquire, either by free agency or trade? Let's splurge a little and say they'll go up to $20 million for the right arm. "None, because Angelos is too cheap," is not an option.

To help you with your thinking, here's a link to stats for all 2013 qualifying pitchers, ranked in order of ascending ERA.

Have fun, stay positive, and go O's!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He averaged just under 6.5 innnings per start, with opponents hitting .253 off of him. Keep in mind that he becomes your #1, so Tillman becomes 2, Chen 3, Gonzo 4 and Norris 5. He basically would be replacing Gausman, Britton or whoever we were gonna run out there for the 5th starter spot. Last year we gave Sweaty Freddie some of those starts.

If Garza can pass an O's physical, I'd give him 3/54 with a $20 mil option 4th (also that includes him actually taking that).

But I think the O's are pretty much thinking trade at this time (highly doubtful it will be a dominant pitcher if it does happen) & are content in waiting to see who falls through the cracks as far as free agents.

At this point it seems like the Os are sniffing around Aroyyo and AJ Burnett on the free agent front. The talk continues to be around some kind of trade. Cliff Lee sure seems like a good fit.

Sounds good to me.

Garza is what I would suggest. We also need another arm for insurance. I want J Santana.

Reality: the best we get is Bronson.

I think part of the frustration for O's fans are guys like Brady and Bordick running around speaking about trades for front end starters. The O's need to master the art of under-promise and over-deliver. Setting the expectations or getting fans hopes up for deals that most likely are not going to happen is not a good PR move.

I still can't believe that people are still talking about Garza. We are NOT going to sign him.

If we have been kicking the tires around with Arroyo and checking in on Burnett from time to time..... that is not screaming that we are going to open our checkbook.

If the Cubs can land Tanaka.. I think Samardzija would be our top target.

I think part of the frustration for O's fans are guys like Brady and Bordick running around speaking about trades for front end starters. The O's need to master the art of under-promise and over-deliver. Setting the expectations or getting fans hopes up for deals that most likely are not going to happen is not a good PR move.

What do you call under promising and failing to even meet drastically lowered expectations?:)

I still can't believe that people are still talking about Garza. We are NOT going to sign him.

If we have been kicking the tires around with Arroyo and checking in on Burnett from time to time..... that is not screaming that we are going to open our checkbook.

If the Cubs can land Tanaka.. I think Samardzija would be our top target.

"Angelos is too cheap" is not an option:)

Who shot Lincoln? And you can't say John Wilkes Booth....

Be positive. Listen to Tony Robbins.

I've said this elsewhere, but Keith Law mentioned that a lot of teams were being scared away by the medical reports on Garza.

Also, add Chris Davis to the list of people pining for a SP:

But, for us, starting pitching obviously is going to be the issue again for us. We have some young guys who can still improve this year, but we still lack that really experienced starter, a guy that has gone through the fire and really knows what to expect, because he’s been around for a while.

Archived