Do you think Schoop will be traded?

weams

I just read the first lines. What are you arguing here?

Machado: All-Star caliber player with plus offensive potential and a chance to stick at shortstop.

Schoop: Potential solid-to above-average MLB player at either second or third base.

Ratings are practically the same.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me he has shown an ability to "get hot". He scuffles for weeks at a time them Bam he starts hitting. We really have not had a chance to see how long he can ride one of these hot streaks.

Maybe because he's only gotten hot when he's a UTL player ONLY!

Lots of guys have some raw tools. Felix Pie had raw tools.

One is rated with high upside/All Star at shortstop and the other is rated as an averagish starter at second/third. Read the report and you'll see the differences. Machado and Schoop are not comparable prospects.

One is rated with high upside/All Star at shortstop and the other is rated as an averagish starter at second/third. Read the report and you'll see the differences. Machado and Schoop are not comparable prospects.

The way I read it described was take Machado and turn everything down a notch. That's Schoop.

Exactly. In 2012, Flaherty had a .411 OPA through June 27 and then .820 the rest of the way. In 2013, he had an OPS of .476 on June 17 and then .969 the rest of the way. So who is the "real" Flaherty -- the guy who started off ice-cold both years, the guy who finished red hot both years, the guy who overall has a .658 OPS, or some better version of the guy who has the .658 OPS now that he has a little experience under his belt? I'm willing to find out the answer in 2014 while Schoop is polishing his game -- which needs more polish -- for a couple of months at Norfolk.

When you get aren't playing every day your numbers start to look good. Then when you set up June 17 as the start date when he had a short 8 game hot streak.. those numbers really skew in favor of him..

He hit a 8 HRs, 7 Doubles of his 32 hits during that period. If you have to go to OPA on a guy who had 100 ABs since June 17 then you know you have a problem and need to realize he's not the answer for the future.

I have no problem with Schoop in Norfolk until June/ASG. If he's not up and playing in late July then the Orioles have officially lost the plot.

Specifically the risk assessment. I think Manny graded out with a better arm tool and fielding, but hey they maybe close as raw tools. Meaning I disagree with their initial grade.

Manny was ranked as high as #11 on some lists compared to Schoop and I like Schoop. I think he'll be part of our IF eventually.

Right. As you know I'm not the biggest prospect guy, but what I also got out if it was the differences in risk/upside and projectability.

That's every player... Manny's risk/upside was based on defensive skill. Schoop has been pushed into different positions so he's not defined defensively.

When you get aren't playing every day your numbers start to look good. Then when you set up June 17 as the start date when he had a short 8 game hot streak.. those numbers really skew in favor of him..

He hit a 8 HRs, 7 Doubles of his 32 hits during that period. If you have to go to OPA on a guy who had 100 ABs since June 17 then you know you have a problem and need to realize he's not the answer for the future.

I have no problem with Schoop in Norfolk until June/ASG. If he's not up and playing in late July then the Orioles have officially lost the plot.

You say this having no idea how either player will be doing by that time this year. Buck and Dan will evaluate that and make their best move. That's the plot.

That's every player... Manny's risk/upside was based on defensive skill. Schoop has been pushed into different positions so he's not defined defensively.

You should try reading more. Especially that it's your own reference.

Summation (Machado): Most of value lies in projection of bat. Potential plus hitter with plus power. Really natural hitter with good instincts at the plate and he shows the ability to develop his approach and become a more complete hitter.

You say this having no idea how either player will be doing by that time this year. Buck and Dan will evaluate that and make their best move. That's the plot.

I thought the plot was a curmudgeonly manager learns to feel young again while guiding a group of misfits to an unlikely wild card appearance?

Oh wait that was the plot from 2012.

His injury was a temporary one which lasted several weeks. It's not like he missed a whole season. He was tearing the ball before the injury and suffered statistically a few weeks after the injury but found his groove again. This is no different the a player coming of the DL with talent.

Put Schoop in AAA til June or July.. I have no problem with it. In fact I stated at the start, I'd give Schoop a month or two at Norfolk if he's not ready out of ST. But he should be playing 2nd base for us this year. He's a solid option and does have chance to be a star for the O's in the future. But he can't do worse then Flaherty did last year imho.

Broken Back are not temporary. Now granted it was not a severe broken back. But a back bone had a crack in it.

Archived