Do you think Schoop will be traded?

weams

We sure do have a lot of second base types that are close to being everyday guys.

Season	Team	G	PA	HR	R	RBI	SB	BB%	K%	ISO	BABIP	AVG	OBP	SLG	wOBA	wRC+	BsR	Off	Def	WAR2014	Steamer	91	365	11	39	39	4	6.7 %	21.7 %	.151	.270	.232	.289	.383	.294	80	-0.1	-8.3	2.4	0.72014	Oliver	143	600	21	64	74	3	6.2 %	24.8 %	.168	.277	.231	.289	.399	.301	85	0.3	-10.0	7.9	1.92014	Fans (8)	105	406	11	43	43	4	7.4 %	21.4 %	.137	.284	.240	.300	.377	.299	83	-0.3	-8.0	6.6	1.3

These are Ryan Flaherty's 2014 projections and he is already in camp working to be the everyday starter. Jim Thome think's he'll be a star.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is no good choice in the FA pool to improve our pitching. You either give up a pick for a marginal, questionable pitcher or you sign a guy who likely is no better than the in house options. We have definitely stockpiled outfielders. I have no idea if the plan is to trade for a high salaried pitcher, but it does make sense for us, especially if that team would take back Markakis in the deal to neutralize a little bit of the contract. The Cliff Lee scenario, although a bit far fetched, might make a great deal of sense all the way around.

Agree with RZNJ here. But I don't think Schoop gets traded before we find out if Flaherty can handle 2B as an everyday player. This is really a make or break year for Flaherty. Either he becomes an everyday player or he sucks and stays as a utility guy or guy that rides the shuttle between AAA and the ML. He's not that young anymore and we really need to see what kind of numbers he can put up with an everyday spot.

Schoop is still very young. I think DD is waiting to see what will happen with Flaherty. If Flaherty stinks, Schoop will be brought up fairly soon.

I can't form an opinion on this until I know whether Hardy re-signs with us or not, i.e. whether we'll have one or two IF positions in question.

This.

There are several factors involved in whether Schoop gets traded.

1) Does Hardy get extended?

2) Can Schoop improve his numbers at AAA to improve his value?

3) Is Schoop better at 2B or does he outgrow it and become a better 3B?

4) Does Hardy have a no trade clause in the extension?

5) Can Flash hit lefties? Does he improve his hitting overall?

It too early to know whether Schoop gets traded.

We need Schoop as backup in case 1) Flaherty stinks 2) Hardy is not extended and 3) Machado has a setback. If any of those things happen, we will need a full time IF prospect in 2014 or 2015. Also, all signs are pointing to the O's trying to build long term. I think if anything they will trade Hardy and Wieters to acquire more prospects rather than trade our best prospects to go for it now.

Schoop has a plus arm that would be wasted at 2B

He needs to be groomed as a 3B

Machado needs to be moved to SS

Hardy needs to be traded for the best starting pitcher prospect(s) that we can get.

Why increase Machado's value for the free agent market. Hardy is a perfectly good SS.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• His real age will match his baseball age in June.   He could have a role next year assuming Hays doesn't come back.  
    • High school players are also less likely to make the majors than college players. Picking Abrams or Witt would also increase the chances your 1:1 pick is a bust, or at least less than you hoped for. When I say Adley wasn't a "safe" pick, I meant that the Orioles didn't sacrifice much, if any, ceiling to raise the floor. I remember the vast majority of pundits saying that Adley was the most likely player in the draft to be an excellent baseball player. A few said they thought Witt or Abrams had a higher ceiling, but they also were less likely to reach it than Adley. And even they were like, "slightly higher ceiling, much lower floor, and C is more valuable than SS." Even if more all-star level players come out of high school, in that particular draft Adley was a special player who had a super high floor and a super high ceiling. The fact that high school players are more likely in general to be all-stars shouldn't blind one to the fact that there was an incredibly special college talent available at 1:1. Bottom line is the idea that the O's should have picked anyone other than Adley in that draft was a small minority opinion on draft day, and the fact that Witt and maybe Abrams ended up hitting their ceilings doesn't change the fact that Adley was the obvious choice with the information available at the time, and it's not like it didn't work out awesome for us. I would say Adley is definitely more likely to be a HOF than Abrams and probably Witt, too.
    • Yeah, but Westburg has become such a staple to the lineup and begun to establish himself offensively I thought they might do the Gunnar thing and say 3B is yours.  No more back and forth. 
    • I'm rambling now, but the 1928 A's may have been one of the coolest teams ever to hang around. Not only did they have a bunch of these old IL Orioles, and an unbelievable stock of young talent. But Mack had brought in some old guys, I guess to provide leadership and mentoring and the like. So on this one team they had the younger HOFs: Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove. They had the Orioles in Boley, Bishop, Grove, Earnshaw. But on top of all that, they had 41-year-old Ty Cobb, 40-year-old Tris Speaker, 41-year-old Eddie Collins, 44-year-old Jack Quinn, and 35-year-old Bullet Joe Bush. Of course Cobb, Speaker, and Collins are inner-circle HOFers, among the best to ever play their position. Quinn was a grandfathered spitballer, probably worthy of a book or three, who won 96 games in his 40s and pitched his last MLB game at the age of 50. And Bush had a 17-year career where he won 196 games. The '28 A's won 98 games and only finished 2.5 games behind a Yanks team that was the freakin' '27 Yanks the year before. For '29 Mack say goodbye to Cobb, Speaker, made Collins a coach, plugged in the kids, and ran away with the league for three straight years. Until the Depression hit, Connie didn't have any other sources of income or wealth, and for the 2nd time had to sell off his stars to make payroll.
    • If they really want to get his bat going, send him to Delmarva!
    • Sounds like the FO believes Norby and Mayo (both righties) need to work more on their defense Holliday and Stowers (both lefties) need to work more on their hitting
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now