Does anyone believe the payroll with be $100 million?

Ibanezsondajuice

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mid to late. It's in the 2nd half of the draft. Who was the last great player drafted 17th? Anyone know?

There have been quite a few great players drafted in the 16-20 range. Roy Halladay and Cole Hammels were picked at 17, among others.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One final payroll note. <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks">@OrtizKicks</a> points out that Feldman's deal pays $12M in 2014. So he'll make more than current projected O's rotation</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">February 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My quick look at poss Os 25-man payroll: Just about $83M right now. That's approx $11M for rotation; $14.5M for pen and $57.2M for offense.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">February 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What are you looking for, superstar players? The Orioles have developed Jim Johnson, Nolan Reimold, David Hernandez, Chris Ray, Erik Bedard, John Maine, Zach Britton, Brad Bergesen and some others - all drafted after the first round. Not the greatest list in the world but still major league talent.

Not really a great argument. Chris Ray? Brad Bergeson? Sure, they played in the majors, but since the Orioles don't sign any decent FA's, someone has to fill out the 25 man roster. And a team of these guys is certainly not going to get you to the promised land, and after all, isn't that the ultimate goal? Some fans would like to see some proof that this organization wants to win. And while some think every move this front office makes is awesome, some of us are completely disappointed with this sorry off season.

The sad truth is that the Orioles now only have two choices--do nothing and write off 2014, or mortgage the future to sign someone who might help them win now. It didn't have to be like this but that's where they are at.

You're wrong on both accounts...doing nothing may not be the best move but it certainly isn't indicative of writing the season off. It's not like the core players were traded and we're competing with the Astros for the 2015 #1 pick. Also, giving up the draft pick isn't mortgaging the future. It's quite a blow to a team that is insistent on pulling talent from a farm system rather than free agency but certainly not equal to a Blue Jays type of farm system blow out of last off-season.

Let's not confuse boring with careless.

Not really a great argument. Chris Ray? Brad Bergeson? Sure' date=' they played in the majors, but since the Orioles don't sign any decent FA's, someone has to fill out the 25 man roster. And a team of these guys is certainly not going to get you to the promised land, and after all, isn't that the ultimate goal? Some fans would like to see some proof that this organization wants to win. And while some think every move this front office makes is awesome, some of us are completely disappointed with this sorry off season.[/quote']

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything I said. You don't need to fit every single post into your us vs. them narrative. I'm not happy with this off season and I also believe that you can find useful major league players late in the draft - those are two completely unrelated things.

If they don't sign AJ then I don't want 100 million payroll to start the season. Barring of course some out of the blue trade where they take on payroll. Not much left worth paying for.

Well, I certainly don't. Does anyone think Maholm or Capuano are going to be better than Gausman? Not me. Save the marbles.

Well, I certainly don't. Does anyone think Maholm or Capuano are going to be better than Gausman? Not me. Save the marbles.

So does that mean that if we have an 83 million payroll rather than 100 this year, that the 17 million will be added to next years 100 million budget making 117 million? Raise your hands if you think is the way Potter's bank account works.

The front office keeps saying that the payroll will be $100 million this year? Does anyone actually believe this? If so, how??

I may be in the minority, but breaking the $100M mark does not get me excited. It is about addressing flaws from the previous season(s) and in the case of the Orioles it is about stabilizing the staff to decrease the load on the pen and adding another more accomplished DH. That might be as simple as adding one middle of pack starter and a high OBP guy who can hit 20+ homeruns. This offseason has seen a ton of teams better themselves on paper and we have done little outside of add depth. If the Orioles add a proven middle of the rotation starter and get a competent bat than the idea of being north or south of $100M doesn't concern me.

So does that mean that if we have an 83 million payroll rather than 100 this year, that the 17 million will be added to next years 100 million budget making 117 million? Raise your hands if you think is the way Potter's bank account works.

Of course it doesn't, but I'm not convinced that what remains is worth spending on this year. Unfortunately, we're probably fed the same story next year as well when it comes to the budget. There's no certainty of anything with PA.

I think it's obvious what Angelos is going to allow DD to do... Since we're the only team that wants to build from within - we've cornered the market on that bumper sticker slogan...well us and the Yankees actually...so two teams with that slogan...well also the Rangers and Cubs are doing that too...

Okay every team is focused on that bumper sticker slogan.

So if we have an extra $17m to spend theoretically and we're going to focus on building from within + cast-off free agents well it seems there is one place we could put those extra $17 marbles.

The Yankees are allotted just over $2MM to spend on international free agents this summer, but the ESPNNewYork.com duo reports that the club may spend a staggering $18MM in bonuses as they look to restock their minor league ranks with high-upside talent. Such an expenditure would come with the harshest of penalties laid out in the newest CBA; the Yankees would pay a 100 percent tax on their overage and would not be allowed to sign a player for more than $250K in the following international signing period. While those measures are undoubtedly harsh, they haven't stopped the Cubs and Rangers from spending more than $8MM each on international free agents during the current signing period.

From MLBTR

Oh wait - we don't go after high ticket international free agents either. Yankees are doing this supposedly because of a coming international draft so they'll do it this year - take the penalty next year - do it again the year after - no penalty because they believe the draft will be in place then.

Looks like they are playing an existing market inefficiency - to build from within. So with an extra $17m we should be able to do that right? And I'm sure we won't.

Some fans would like to see some proof that this organization wants to win. And while some think every move this front office makes is awesome' date=' some of us are completely disappointed with this sorry off season.[/quote']

Most people are disappointed with this offseason. You want proof that they want to win despite this? Go see then in Sarasota next week. Every one of them is going to work hard to win. And I do just mean the players. Everyone on the Orioles organization.

I think it's obvious what Angelos is going to allow DD to do... Since we're the only team that wants to build from within - we've cornered the market on that bumper sticker slogan...well us and the Yankees actually...so two teams with that slogan...well also the Rangers and Cubs are doing that too...

Okay every team is focused on that bumper sticker slogan.

So if we have an extra $17m to spend theoretically and we're going to focus on building from within + cast-off free agents well it seems there is one place we could put those extra $17 marbles.

From MLBTR

Oh wait - we don't go after high ticket international free agents either. Yankees are doing this supposedly because of a coming international draft so they'll do it this year - take the penalty next year - do it again the year after - no penalty because they believe the draft will be in place then.

Looks like they are playing an existing market inefficiency - to build from within. So with an extra $17m we should be able to do that right? And I'm sure we won't.

I agree. Money should be spent there.

Archived