Does anyone believe the payroll with be $100 million?

Ibanezsondajuice

Whether they were no brainer or not I guess is a matter of opinion. My point is the only ones we've gotten right are ones in the top 7 overall.

No it isn't. He wasn't regarded as a top 10 talent and some teams liked him better as a pitcher. The O's picked him because he would be an inexpensive sign.

The only way he could be viewed as a no brainer at #7 is with the benefit of hindsight.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said when they traded Johnson that what would drive this off season would be decreasing payroll.

I said when they wouldn't go to three years on Balfour that this team was hesitant to put payroll for 2016 and beyond.

I will repeat that they will not offer Arroyo three years, which he has said that he wants.

For some reason, I don't know why, the Orioles are lowering payroll and not adding liabilities to the 2016 payroll. I can only hope it is to sell the team, because it is quite indicative of an owner preparing to sell.

Unfortunately, I've read that this years is an extremely strong and deep draft for pitching. And if we don't have a pick or two, someone else gets two good pitchers.

Remaining stagnant is the worst thing to do. It's not just giving the picks away. We'd be using them to add two good players. Otherwise I don't get it. This team as constructed has some real flaws.

My point is any top 7 pick should be a can't miss. To suggest otherwise is just making my point for me...

Plenty of top 7 picks amount to nothing. There are more #1 picks who flamed out in the minors than there are in the Hall of Fame, though Griffey and Chipper Jones will change that in the coming years.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The club is worth over a billion dollars according to Bloomberg. We shouldn't be penny pinching over a mid first round draft pick. The odds are that pick will not be as good as Cruz.

Cruz going forward isn't likely to be much of a player, and he is going to be paid. Even without the draft pick I wouldn't be interested in him for longer then 2 years.

Cruz going forward isn't likely to be much of a player, and he is going to be paid. Even without the draft pick I wouldn't be interested in him for longer then 2 years.

I'm not a Cruz fan. If there were no pick, I would not be afraid to have Peter throw his money away on him.

I said when they traded Johnson that what would drive this off season would be decreasing payroll.

I said when they wouldn't go to three years on Balfour that this team was hesitant to put payroll for 2016 and beyond.

I will repeat that they will not offer Arroyo three years, which he has said that he wants.

For some reason, I don't know why, the Orioles are lowering payroll and not adding liabilities to the 2016 payroll. I can only hope it is to sell the team, because it is quite indicative of an owner preparing to sell.

Ding, ding... we may have a winner...

It's hard to draft late in the first round when you are a perennial losing team for 14 years. Before 2013, the Orioles hadn't had a late first round draft pick since 2001.

The Orioles actually got pretty good value with Hunter Harvey last year with the 22nd pick.

Hunter Harvey has pitched 3 games total at Aberdeen. How can you say they got value from that pick?

Archived