Grade the off-season

atomic

grade the off season  

163 members have voted

1. 1. grade the off season

Wow 10 people have given the Os a c or better. I'd love to hear the justification. The orioles are a worse team than before the season ended. They are no better than a D and I've given them a F .... I don't give points for dumpster diving.

Their business. Their reasons. I didnt vote in the poll.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care about the offseason.
Unfortunately, neither does the Orioles front office.
Ouch, man, my good eye!

At least you have a good eye.

TOMMY GUNN: "The first guy I ever knocked out was my father. In the ring, it's like all I see is him. That's kinda sick, huh?"

ROCKY BALBOA: "Yo, Tommy, at least you had an old man to knock out, you know?"

At least you have a good eye.

TOMMY GUNN: "The first guy I ever knocked out was my father. In the ring, it's like all I see is him. That's kinda sick, huh?"

ROCKY BALBOA: "Yo, Tommy, at least you had an old man to knock out, you know?"

Stallone admits this Rocky movie was the worst in the series. So bad in fact he had to make another, which by many accounts, was the best since the first.

Stallone admits this Rocky movie was the worst in the series. So bad in fact he had to make another, which by many accounts, was the best since the first.

The "Rocky" series gradually lost something little by little after the original, starting with Rocky II. The original was the best, and then II, III, IV, V, and VI all were a little worse than the previous one.

Also, any kind of semblance to reality was completely thrown out in Rocky III when his (Rocky's) sight-threatening eye injury that was such a big concern in Rocky II suddenly disappeared. There was a possibility that he could go blind from a rematch with Apollo Creed, yet he got his head bashed in by Creed in said rematch, made 10 title defenses in the ensuing sequel, got his head bashed in again by Clubber Lang in their first fight, and there was not a mention about a concern for his sight in the entire movie.

I still watch them all from time-to-time though, and enjoy them ........ kind of like how some people get some type of entertainment out of watching cheap, poorly-acted B-movies, I guess.

Salary dumps, half measures, and PR disasters. Whats not to love?

I mean sure you can look at the moves DD made this offseason and easily make the case that they are better bang for the buck than what we gave up, but his moves don't translate into more wins.

- Webb is a slight downgrade over JJ in the bullpen.

- Lough is likely a sidegrade to McClouth.

- Yoon probably belongs in the Steve Johnson/Sweaty Freddy class when talking about MLB effectiveness.

As far as I can tell the only thing Duquette improved this offseason is Petey's bank account.

I will say this: though I gave the offseason a D, that was because of the moves we didn't make. The moves we did make, I liked:

Valencia for Lough: I gave that a solid B, maybe a B+

Ryan Webb: Same there, B to B+ move

Yoon: I'll give that a B- for now

Aceves: Solid B move

Young: C+ (basically no risk here, some possible reward)

Other positional depth moves (Peguero, Casilla, Phelps, Almanzar, Berry, Monell): B to B-.

Pitching depth moves (Brach, De La Cruz, Escalona, Hendriks, Meek): B

The one move I hate, right now, is trading Jim Johnson for Jemille Weeks and Dave Freitas. I would have given that move a C if we had actually taken JJ's $10 mm and reallocated it, as Dan said we would do. But right now, that $10 mm is essentially unspent, and if we're not going to spend it, I'd rather have spent it on JJ than have it going in Angelos' pocket.

100,000% agree.

It's nice to see that the benefit of doubt that was given by some when the O's did nothing last season will not be extended this season. There should be no such benefits given this time when one considers all of the facts.

On a semi-related note: Is their a more active team in showing "interest" while non-active in terms of an actual signing of a player they are interested in? I can't tell if it's just a matter of me primarily paying attention to the O's, or if there really is some truth to this. It feels like every off-season the O's show a TON of interest and little to no actual results. Was there even a token offer this year?

Archived