Some closure, Re: Burnett choosing Philly

avdeuph

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Burnett on whether he had interest from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nationals&src=hash">#Nationals</a>, both of which play closer to his home in Monkton, Md.: “Not much at all.”</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like i said the Orioles never offered him a 2 year deal.

Isn't it funny how we got to a 2/30 deal that was offered by the O's! To Burnett saying they weren't even the slightest bit INTERESTED, much less with a big offer on the table.

How does that happen?

How does one claim that information to be true when all the evidence says it has no basis in reality?

Apologies are in order, but I won't be holding my breath.

Isn't it funny how we got to a 2/30 deal that was offered by the O's! To Burnett saying they weren't even the slightest bit INTERESTED, much less with a big offer on the table.

How does that happen?

How does one claim that information to be true when all the evidence says it has no basis in reality?

Once they found out it gonan cost more then 10m a year the Orioles were out.

Or he could take an apt. in Philly, and his wife and kids can make that exhausting hour forty or so drive from Monkton and stay with him a few days. There's that, plus he avoids having to face the MFY and BOS.

And that still wouldn't be the same as sleeping in your own bed at your own house, for me anyhow. He stunk it up in NY. Playing in Philly is on that level. The media and fans are harsh. Those starts he struggles in won't get the same "thanks for the effort" applause that he got in Pittsburgh. He will get booed and the media will call him out for it. Good luck with that AJ.

And the drive TO Philly isn't bad. It's once your there it become exhausting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Burnett on whether he had interest from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nationals&src=hash">#Nationals</a>, both of which play closer to his home in Monkton, Md.: “Not much at all.”</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

I think taking what he says now means nothing. Someone else had to be in on him and the Pirates were said to never up their offer to even 10 milllion. So no team was interested in him but the Pirates and the Phillies and the Philliess had to offer him 16 million a year to come there. The Phils may have over paid but not sure they thought they had to go almost double what the Pirates were offering to get him. Someone had to have an offer atleast in that range to make the Phils go that high.

How does that happen?

Well someone is fibbing big time here. Burnett? Gammons? Weams? Weams poster,? or the posters "source"?

I think taking what he says now means nothing. Someone else had to be in on him and the Pirates were said to never up their offer to even 10 milllion. So no team was interested in him but the Pirates and the Phillies and the Philliess had to offer him 16 million a year to come there. The Phils may have over paid but not sure they thought they had to go almost double what the Pirates were offering to get him. Someone had to have an offer atleast in that range to make the Phils go that high.

Ummm No A.J 16.5m last year he was never gonna take a huge pay cut.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Burnett says the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nats&src=hash">#Nats</a> expressed little interest in him</p>? Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

HAHAHAH So much for all in

Now now Birdland. Lets wait and see how Duquette spins this one before we pass judgement. If this is indeed true then something is seriously wrong with this team. Either with the owner or the FO. Burnett was the perfect scenr for the Orioles. Minimum number of years and no draft pick. All of the Santana and Jimenez talk is just that...talk.

Well someone is fibbing big time here. Burnett? Gammons? Weams? Weams poster,? or the posters "source"?

And I said it the minute I read that nonsense. It was so obviously made up and a complete fabrication it wasn't even funny. Sorry I am not so naive as some around here.

Little refresher from the thread when I called out that fairy tale of a story and pressed the issue.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138876-Phillies-have-agreed-to-a-one-year-deal-with-A-J-Burnett/page115

Ummm No A.J 16.5m last year he was never gonna take a huge pay cut.

So if the Phils didn't come into the negotations what was he gonna do? The Phils could have cared less what he made last year for a contract he signed 5 years ago. Many players sign long term deals then as they age they have to take less money as they leave their prime or does every player that is making 15 million now mean they will be making 15 million when they turn 36.

So if the Phils didn't come into the negotations what was he gonna do? The Phils could have cared less what he made last year for a contract he signed 5 years ago. Many players sign long term deals then as they age they have to take less money as they leave their prime or does every player that is making 15 million now mean they will be making 15 million when they turn 36.

If I were advising Burnett, and Burnett was not 100% on coming back, I would have told him to push for money and to cite a desire to stay in Pittsburgh if I'm coming back. Wouldn't matter what Pittsburgh's offer was, I'd push the other interested teams as high as I could. If there isn't enough interest out there, you either play for the Pirates at a pay cut or call it a career. It really comes down to leverage, not a scientific escalation of offers. You can bluff as much as you'd like, so long as you are comfortable with your BATNA (best alternative to negotiated agreement).

Archived