Some closure, Re: Burnett choosing Philly

avdeuph

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A.J. Burnett - S - Phillies

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports the Pirates offered A.J. Burnett $12 million to return for 2014.

The Phillies ultimately blew the Pirates out of the water with their $16 million offer, coaxing Burnett away from Pittsburgh. It would have been interesting to see how things would have played out if the Bucs had offered Burnett a $14.1 million qualifying offer earlier this offseason, but it was obviously a price they were unwilling to pay to retain the services of the 37-year-old. They'll roll with a rotation of Francisco Liriano, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton, Wandy Rodriguez and Edinson Volquez this season.

Related: Phillies

A.J. Burnett - S - Phillies

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports the Pirates offered A.J. Burnett $12 million to return for 2014.

The Phillies ultimately blew the Pirates out of the water with their $16 million offer, coaxing Burnett away from Pittsburgh. It would have been interesting to see how things would have played out if the Bucs had offered Burnett a $14.1 million qualifying offer earlier this offseason, but it was obviously a price they were unwilling to pay to retain the services of the 37-year-old. They'll roll with a rotation of Francisco Liriano, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton, Wandy Rodriguez and Edinson Volquez this season.

Related: Phillies

Kind of odd a 2/30m supposed offer isn't even mentioned. Guess AJ just has some hidden agenda against the Orioles.

Birdland: Burnett said that he had no idea about NTC before he signed the contract. I mean; who agrees to a contract without knowing what is in it?

What if the Orioles called, made an offer and basically said: "take it or leave it." Burnett basically himmed and hawed and waited for the Pirates to match it (because he really wanted to stay in the NL). Until, finally, the Phillies got stupid and gave Burnett a contract that is largely considered to be stupid and the Orioles would be dumb for matching.

By comparison the Orioles "didn't do much" in that situation.

My guess is that there is no way that Burnett wanted to be in the AL East and that this factored somewhere into the "Orioles not being much interested." As in his agent communicating that the Orioles would have to be far and away better for him to go to the AL East. The Fox sports article that cites "family" as being the "key factor" is just AJ (and or his agent's) PR spin on what turns out to be just about money (number 1 since he wanted to go back to Pittsburgh but less money), and number 2, professional ego (only want to be in the inferior NL rather than the AL East) and not about family a very far distant third. Good riddance. Enjoy those Philly fans.

Kind of odd a 2/30m supposed offer isn't even mentioned. Guess AJ just has some hidden agenda against the Orioles.

They all do don't they? Just a giant conspiracy against the O's.

You just know Burnett is lying, has every reason to right now. Just a foot soldier carrying out his mission to destroy the credibility of this proud franchise under the Angelos regime.

I know one thing, I am not going to just sit here and take it. No way.

Birdland: Burnett said that he had no idea about NTC before he signed the contract. I mean; who agrees to a contract without knowing what is in it?

What if the Orioles called, made an offer and basically said: "take it or leave it." Burnett basically himmed and hawed and waited for the Pirates to match it (because he really wanted to stay in the NL). Until, finally, the Phillies got stupid and gave Burnett a contract that is largely considered to be stupid and the Orioles would be dumb for matching.

By comparison the Orioles "didn't do much" in that situation.

Yet the Orioles according to a "source" offered 2/30m. I guess they were dumb but just not quite dumb enough.

They all do don't they? Just a giant conspiracy against the O's.

You just know Burnett is lying, has every reason to right now. Just a foot soldier carrying out his mission to destroy the credibility of this proud franchise under the Angelos regime.

I know one thing, I am not going to just sit here and take it. No way.

By the way, were you asking for an apology from me?

All I'll say it that it's odd that we don't see any reports of a 2/30M offer by the Orioles. Things like that don't stay secret usually. I'd expect to see a leak from the Orioles side to show how much they were willing to go for Burnett to show the fans how hard they were trying. They could have offered 2/30 but so far it doesnt' pass the smell test.

Wait.....so you think Burnett is lying?? Really?

LOL. This is pure comedy at it's finest.

Since a direct quote right from the man's mouth isn't good enough what is? Do you need a hand on the bible under oath?

There was no offer. Period.

You are living in the land of delusion if you think there is even a tiny bit of a chance that ever happened, because it didn't. Like I said 2 days ago.

By the way, were you asking for an apology from me?

I didn't specify anyone, including yourself.

But an explanation about how these sources, who were "right about everything, verified" and all that good stuff could be so incredibly wrong would be in order.

So anything to say about that or no?

Wait.....so you think Burnett is lying?? Really?

LOL. This is pure comedy at it's finest.

Since a direct quote right from the man's mouth isn't good enough what is? Do you need a hand on the bible under oath?

There was no offer. Period.

You are living in the land of delusion if you think there is even a tiny bit of a chance that ever happened, because it didn't. Like I said 2 days ago.

I stand by what our poster told us. I believe that Burnett never wanted to come here. I believe the reason that he is not in Pittsburgh is because of money. and a NTC. As we were told.

If you believe there was no offer, I'm ok with that. I never saw where Burnett said the Orioles and Nationals did not make offers. But I do believe it advances your agenda to make it appear that he did. I believe what I was told.

Folks it's all about the money A.J went to the team that offered the most. IMO the Orioles never made a offer who do you trust more? A.J himself or the team that hasn't signed someone good in years.

Archived