Some closure, Re: Burnett choosing Philly

avdeuph

Right-hander A.J. Burnett lives about a mile away from Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock in Monkton, Md. Their sons are seventh graders who have gone to school together since kindergarten and play on the same recreation-league basketball team.

The article doesn't mention the O's at all, but it does give a little extra insight and possibly some small closure for O's fans.

(Obviously the family angle is a little weak, given that B'more is much closer, but still)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/family-plays-key-role-in-burnett-s-decision-to-play-for-phillies-021614

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah great, he gets to work with his neighbor, whos kid goes to school with his son. Meanwhile, on homestands he gets to stay at a hotel in philly rather than sleep in his own bed at home with his wife and kids.

Maybe the "AJ wanting to be near his wife and kids" angle was overblown. Afterall, Philly is such a family oriented city.

Is there anything to suggest that he did not go to the highest bidder?

Well AJ's guaranteed money with Philly is 23.5M. We have heard on OH that his guaranteed money with the O's would have been 2/30. Presumably that deal would have also included some extras, incentives, etc.

I suppose the case could be made that he actually preferred an option as opposed to a solid second year.

Well AJ's guaranteed money with Philly is 23.5M. We have heard on OH that his guaranteed money with the O's would have been 2/30. Presumably that deal would have also included some extras, incentives, etc.

I suppose the case could be made that he actually preferred an option as opposed to a solid second year.

I never heard. I never was told that it was all guaranteed money. That may have been a similar situation with all incentive being hit. The source may have told our poster that from an ego situation as well. We will never know. Maybe we were cheap and we lost him that way.

I never heard. I never was told that it was all guaranteed money. That may have been a similar situation with all incentive being hit. The source may have told our poster that from an ego situation as well. We will never know. Maybe we were cheap and we lost him that way.

I see...thanks for clarifying.

I see...thanks for clarifying.

Just to clarify, I was told nothing that the poster did not share with each member of our staff. This was not a sourse for me. It was an uncanny set of events that even brought the poster into the loop. I really never thought that it was going to be about Philly, until we were told that it was. At the time I reached out to several media sources to confirm or deny. They were all told it was not true. And it ended up being so. I did truly believe that Pittsburgh was limited in what they could/would offer. We were told that A.J. desperately tried to go back there. But the money was too funny.

Ah great, he gets to work with his neighbor, whos kid goes to school with his son. Meanwhile, on homestands he gets to stay at a hotel in philly rather than sleep in his own bed at home with his wife and kids.

Maybe the "AJ wanting to be near his wife and kids" angle was overblown. Afterall, Philly is such a family oriented city.

Or he could take an apt. in Philly, and his wife and kids can make that exhausting hour forty or so drive from Monkton and stay with him a few days. There's that, plus he avoids having to face the MFY and BOS.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Burnett says the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nats&src=hash">#Nats</a> expressed little interest in him</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">February 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HAHAHAH So much for all in

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Burnett says the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nats&src=hash">#Nats</a> expressed little interest in him</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="
">February 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HAHAHAH So much for all in

What were you saying Weams? Repeat that again for us?

I called that BS from jump street.

Archived