Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price

Greg

Don't rule out a return to the Mariners for Kendrys Morales, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Cafardo hears that the Pirates aren't willing to forfeit the draft pick they would need to sign Morales. He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/al-west-notes-garza-morales-cruz-lewis-milone.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't rule out a return to the Mariners for Kendrys Morales, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Cafardo hears that the Pirates aren't willing to forfeit the draft pick they would need to sign Morales. He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/al-west-notes-garza-morales-cruz-lewis-milone.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Shocking....

I'm sure that will stir up plenty of talk here, but it's hard to believe that is true.

I really hope this isn't true. Cause if it is we wont be getting a SP.

I really hope this isn't true. Cause if it is we wont be getting a SP.

Well, it flies in the face of DD publicly saying numerous times that he expects the payroll to be north of $100MM by Opening Day. It doesn't really make sense for Duquette to lie about the payroll, since its something he didn't have to offer up if he didn't want to or if it wasn't true.

Maybe they ARE budgeting for a pitcher that puts them very close to $100MM and Morales would put them far enough over that they'd require ownership approval, or maybe Angelos just doesn't like Morales for some reason (Doesn't really make sense) or maybe ownership hasn't even been approached about making an offer to Morales.

It will get people here worked up because it doesn't take much, but it seems like a non-story to me.

One in the plus column for Angelos if he won't let DD pick up Morales.

Yeah it's always smart to tell you GM no. You hired him for a reason stop handcuffing him. I guess you would love AL Davis type of owner.

Not giving up the draft pick I can understand, it seems everyone does. However, provided this is true, why would that be an issue now? I'd have to imagine Morales has come down from his demands a little compared to when the winter started, or at least you'd think he would have, provided he wants to be in camp.

Jesus... what has changed this year to make Angelos so tight with the budget? I know he always has been, but it seems extra ridiculous this year.

My long standing theory is that it's less about him being Scrooge McDuck, and more about him limiting long term financial commitments (unless they offer substantial value to the team) in the interests of estate planning and/or future franchise sale value.

Yes because PA really cares about the pick:) I hope you really don't think that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's always smart to tell you GM no. You hired him for a reason stop handcuffing him. I guess you would love AL Davis type of owner.

I am going by what move I prefer the O's to make pure and simple.

I don't honestly care how or why they came to the same conclusion that I did.

Archived