Markakis add 15-20 LBs of muscle

Roll Tide

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's funny that there is any doubt about the weight gain whatsoever. For a guy that's already in such good shape to begin with, it's very easy to shift the focus and intensity of his maintenance workouts to a strength-building workout for a few months. Adding 5-10% of your body weight is not impossible with the right diet and other supplements.

Now I've never played pro sports and don't have the conditioning of one that's played nearly his whole life either, but I am nearly the same age as Nick.

20 lbs of muscle in 4 months is very possible with an altered diet and weight training regime. As someone coming off of surgeries also, I know how hard you have to work to add that weight. But it can indeed be done without any supplemented aids.

I'll also say... I've never gained any major muscle weight. But I have lost massive amounts of weight in a short time, several times in my life. Recently too, at 50 years old. Quoting weight loss or gain as proof of anything is just not pertinent. You can do it bad or you can do it clean. The actual gain is NO proof of how you did it. ;)

I'll also say... I've never gained any major muscle weight. But I have lost massive amounts of weight in a short time, several times in my life. Recently too, at 50 years old. Quoting weight loss or gain as proof of anything is just not pertinent. You can do it bad or you can do it clean. The actual gain is NO proof of how you did it. ;)

You go on that special liquid diet? One arm curls and all?

Done deal. No questions asked. This is over. We all love you. Move on please. We need our peace now.

10 lbs. in four month I believe. 20 lbs. not likely without help.

10 lbs is what he gained additionally above his normal start weight. Please note that he normally starts the season at about 210 and loses 13 lbs from the grind, etc. of the season. That lost 13 lbs would NOT be difficult to put back on. He probably gained that in past off seasons without doing a whole lot of fitness. If Markakis normally did not do much over the years during the offseason and then this year he did an intense fitness and lifting program to work on all his muscles, it is very easy to see where he added an additional 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason over past off seasons. So instead of weak, unfounded speculation, give the guy a hand for getting in shape this year.

On a side note, next offseason, I hope that Machado is physically healthy and then Markakis can take him along for some workouts. If Machado did workouts, he could gain 5 lbs of muscle in an off season. And that would just be 5 lbs of muscle in each of his chicken legs.

I can believe this. I have been working out about 10 hours a week. My work outs are heavy on the weight lifting and so far since Jan 1 I have lost a whopping 6 lbs. However most people think I have lost at least 20. Basically I've turned all my fat weight into muscle thus not really losing much weight. I dunno the exact numbers, but I'd guess in one month with no where near professional workouts I've gained 5 lbs of muscle, mostly in my legs.

I also read the other day that Lolo Jones consumed 9000 calories a day to gain 20lbs of muscle to help her in the bomb sled. Nick is a thin guy which would require a similar approach to gain serious muscle. So who's to say he didn't meet up with an expert and bust his ass twice a day every day to get bigger to last the whole year?

Remember, his only job the last 4 months was to work out. If most of us can get 5-10 lbs of muscle and hold a full time job in four months, why couldn't he double it?

It bugs the hell out of me that the OP makes the incorrect claim of Nick adding 15-20 lbs of "muscle"....which IS NOT what Showalter said.....and then see some people run with it like it was gospel and start alluding to PED's.

From Roch: "Nick Markakis is noticeably bigger this spring after working out hard in the offseason. He's put on 15-20 lbs., according to Showalter."

Buck said he had put on "15-20 lbs" - of total weight - which is quite easy to do in 4 months with regular workouts and the right kind of diet.

2008 (24) OPS 897

2009 (25) OPS 801

2010 (26) OPS 805

2011 (27) OPS 756

What does surgeries in 2012 and 2013 have to do with that?

I'm not into making excuses for Nick. It is what it is. However, he had surgery after the 2011 season due to injuries that he played through during the 2011 season, and then when they did the surgery they found scar tissue from a prior injury. So there are some plausible reasons for decline other than ostensible offseason laziness. Bottom line, we really don't know. At this point, I am just hoping for Nick to have a great 2014 and I'll leave it for others to argue about why Nick didn't perform as well as we hoped in certain years.

Archived