Does Trout Deal Set The Market for Machado? (Update: 6/$144.5M)

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Confirmed: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Angels&src=hash">#Angels</a>, Trout in agreement on six-year deal for more than $140M. First reported: <a href="https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez">@Alden_Gonzalez</a></p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">March 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will the Orioles even be players for their own Free Agents at these AAVs?

Nope which is sad cause those AAV wont be going down.

Man this is a horribly bad deal for the Angels. They are giving Trout 140 million and getting 2 free agency years??? The Angels GM has to be the stupidest GM in the league by far. We should feel so lucky that he turned us down.

Man this is a horribly bad deal for the Angels. They are giving Trout 140 million and getting 2 free agency years??? The Angels GM has to be the stupidest GM in the league by far. We should feel so lucky that he turned us down.

I think it starts next year, so it is buying three FA years.

If so, how much? Yes, I know we're waiting to see how Manny recovers, but so far indications are he should be ready for Opening Day.

Trout is Pre-Arb3 and Manny is Pre-Arb2. There are rumors of 6 - $150M for Trout.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Angels&src=hash">#Angels</a>? desire is to sign Trout to 7-year contract in $150M-$160M range. Sides discussing 6-year, $150M deal, per <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan">@JeffPassan</a>.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This ended up being very close to the deal.

I have to admit that I don't spend a ton of time looking at baseball team finances, but I did see two days ago that 14 teams are still under 100 million in total payroll, so these two contracts signed in the last few days would mean that Trout and Cabrera would both be singlehandedly earning more than 25 percent of the total payroll of nearly half the teams in the game. Those of you who study this carefully...how alarmed should O's fans be about retaining our own...?

Sorry to copy the questions of Weams and others...I am slow tonight...

IMO, now would be the prefect time to offer Manny a similar deal. He's coming off an injury. Having 6-10 years of security now knowing how easy it is to have a serious injury might make him more receptive to signing now. A 6 year deal would be less then what Trout just got. Also offering it to him now would probably be less then if you wait until after this year or next year. If he improves on last year the price goes up. If he moves to SS next season the price will be more then it is right now as a 3B! I say strike while the iron is HOT!!

No, this deal starts in 2015, so it will buy out three free agency years. That makes it a pretty solid deal for the Angels IMO. I'd assume something like:

Arb 1: $12 mm

Arb 2: $18 mm

Arb 3: $24 mm

FA1: $28 mm

FA2: $30 mm

FA3: $32.5 mm

That's actually pretty cheap if Trout continues to perform as he has.

Will the Orioles even be players for their own Free Agents at these AAVs?
Nope which is sad cause those AAV wont be going down.

I hope not and won't bother me a bit at that kind of money. Just because a player reaches a certain benchmark in years employed and thus increases his salary by 3 or 4 times, doesn't make him 3 or 4 times a better player than he was yesterday. Which is to say that you can likely get 2/3 of the production at 1/3 of the cost from another player.

No, this deal starts in 2015, so it will buy out three free agency years. That makes it a pretty solid deal for the Angels IMO. I'd assume something like:

Arb 1: $12 mm

Arb 2: $18 mm

Arb 3: $24 mm

FA1: $28 mm

FA2: $30 mm

FA3: $32.5 mm

That's actually pretty cheap if Trout continues to perform as he has.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it cheap, but it's probably around market for Arb years and maybe a slight discount for the FA years. My guess is it ends up a moot point and the Angels extend him after year 3 or 4 to THE monster deal.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it cheap, but it's probably around market for Arb years and maybe a slight discount for the FA years. My guess is it ends up a moot point and the Angels extend him after year 3 or 4 to THE monster deal.

If he is like he has been, I consider the deal to be an overpay of 10 million for the Arb years and around value for the first three FA years. If he is ANYTHING less, it's a huge overpay.

If he is like he has been, I consider the deal to be an overpay of 10 million for the Arb years and around value for the first three FA years. If he is ANYTHING less, it's a huge overpay.

Don't let the internet catch you even implying something negative about Trout. Just a friendly suggestion...

Archived