Bronson Arroyo shut down with bulging disc

24fps

He has not been sent to the DL in 14 years. This may not send him there either. I wanted him in the offseason. Never did I think we'd get Jimenez at that contract after Nolasco signed. I had no idea he had valley fever and still made all of his starts last season. :eektf:

The DBacks are really downplaying this, but disc problems should be worrisome. I would think disc problems requiring epidurals even more so. Given how the O's off season has unfolded so far, I'm really glad DD was slow off the mark with Arroyo.

IIRC, there was an article that came out the day after Arroyo signed with Arizona that said that the Balfour failed physical played into Arroyo's decision to choose Arizona over Baltimore. Interesting. It almost makes one wonder if Arroyo had an inkling that there might be an issue that a thorough physical might uncover, doesn't it?

Arroyo says the back injury is "driving him nuts"

He’s able to play catch, but Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Arroyo was sore and stiff after doing so Monday and could be running out of time to be ready for Opening Day.

The Orioles look luckier and luckier on this one.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/bronson-arroyo-says-back-injury-is-driving-me-nuts/

The DBacks are really downplaying this, but disc problems should be worrisome. I would think disc problems requiring epidurals even more so. Given how the O's off season has unfolded so far, I'm really glad DD was slow off the mark with Arroyo.

Yes, just ask Nolan Reimold. His issues started out with the old "shut down for 7-10 days" deal if I recall correctly

Wow...that's rough. Also surprising! Unless the injury was incurred sometime during spring training. I would expect that something like that would start to show in a physical. Anyway, bad news for Bronson and the Diamondbacks. I hate to see stuff like that happen, it makes all the parties involved look bad. Unfortunate.

Unless the injury was incurred sometime during spring training, I would expect that something like that would start to show in a physical.

O They don't have doctors that do thorough, rigorous physicals, like the Orioles' doctors do. ;)

I hate to see stuff like that happen, it makes all the parties involved look bad.

Except for the Orioles, who were originally criticized (by some) for not signing him ... and instead, eventually signed Jimenez. :cool:

Archived