Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

You and I have a different definition of "steal". BTW, what makes you think the guy has nothing left in the tank? I know at least one professional scout who I've talked to who has seen every single game this spring who would disagree. Obviously, the Tigers do as well.

The fact he's only played 65 games the last two years, and when he has played he's been absolutely terrible? A veteran guy hitting well against spring training players trying to make the ball team isn't really that big of a deal. He's shown he can't hit it against real major league pitchers anymore. Heck, he was more than -1 WAR in only 100 or so at bats last year, thats about as bad of a MLB player as it gets.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think we will trade an excess second baseman to the Rangers? Or do you think they will just use Roghned Odor?

That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not sure who will play 2B in Texas, but maybe DD can get some value back for one of his extra 2B.

The fact he's only played 65 games the last two years, and when he has played he's been absolutely terrible? A veteran guy hitting well against spring training players trying to make the ball team isn't really that big of a deal. He's shown he can't hit it against real major league pitchers anymore. Heck, he was more than -1 WAR in only 100 or so at bats last year, thats about as bad of a MLB player as it gets.

The last 2 years say you're correct. However, the fountain of youth is alive and well in baseball (see Ortiz, David), so spring observations shouldn't necessarily be discounted.

The last 2 years say you're correct. However, the fountain of youth is alive and well in baseball (see Ortiz, David), so spring observations shouldn't necessarily be discounted.

Even if he did somehow play well enough to not be a detriment to the team, he would be gone the moment Manny was activated from the DL. So would you take a couple weeks of average play over a solid utility guy we have years of control over?

So far as I can tell, Lombardozzi has all three options remaining. He was drafted in 2008, called up at the end of 2011 and has never played in the minors since his first call-up.

Lombardozzi is a scrappy player but not much of a hitter from what I've seen on him on the Nats the last three years.

This is correct.

Perhaps, I guess I just don't see what value Lombardozzi brings to the table really other than versatility. Having Flaherty already gives us a very versatile player. Overall this isn't a big deal, but I'm just not too entralled with Lombardozzi. I do know that Buck loves his defense so this may have more to do with that than anything else even though Gonzalez can play the left side of the defense very well.

Lombardozzi is 25, has a .264/.297/.342 line in 755 PA in the majors, and has a .298/.369/.411 line in 2001 PA in the minors.

Flaherty is 27, has a .221/.279/.378 line in 438 PA in the majors, and has a .278/.345/.464 line in 1968 PA in the minors.

Basically, they are similar players, with Lombardozzi being two years younger with somewhat better OBP skills, and Flaherty having more power. Both are versatile and have several options that can be used. Neither has the upside that Schoop has, but either could be a useful utility player once Schoop takes over as full time 2B.

Even if he did somehow play well enough to not be a detriment to the team, he would be gone the moment Manny was activated from the DL. So would you take a couple weeks of average play over a solid utility guy we have years of control over?

This is the right question to ask. Tearing down Gonzalez just isn't the way to answer it.

Lombardozzi is 25, has a .264/.297/.342 line in 755 PA in the majors, and has a .298/.369/.411 line in 2001 PA in the minors.

Flaherty is 27, has a .221/.279/.378 line in 438 PA in the majors, and has a .278/.345/.464 line in 1968 PA in the minors.

Basically, they are similar players, with Lombardozzi being two years younger with somewhat better OBP skills, and Flaherty having more power. Both are versatile and have several options that can be used. Neither has the upside that Schoop has, but either could be a useful utility player once Schoop takes over as full time 2B.

I think Schoop's future at second base is tied to JJ's extension. It seems feasible to me that Schoop starts the year at third base for the Tides.

How feasible is this for opening day?

Flaherty starts at third

Lambardozzi stars at second.

Castillo bench uti.

Weeks second base Norfolk.

Schoop third base Norolk.

I have no idea why we signed Alexi Castilla..sigh...I would not be happy if he were on the major league club, but whatever...

I have no idea why we signed Alexi Castilla..sigh...I would not be happy if he were on the major league club, but whatever...

I guess I can understand the signing if Flaherty is your starting second baseman and Manny is starting at third. He would be your bench utility player who could play SS in that case. However, big changes have occurred since we signed him. Most importantly, Manny is starting the year on the DL. In this scenario the O's apparently like Lombardozzi more as their starting second baseman then the do Weeks or Castilla. I think they still like Castilla as their UT Man who can play SS. The interesting call will be who goes when Manny returns.

Archived