Schoop Making the Team

jtschrei

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about, Scott? Crush was up and down between the majors and minors several times. He will have played parts of 8 different seasons in the majors to earn his six years of service time. If anything, Davis is the poster child for why you don't worry about service time. He was promoted to the majors after posting a .945 OPS in his first year after bring drafted (and following that season was the no. 65 prospect per BA) and a 1.029 OPS in AA/AAA for a half season the next year, and yet he still ended up having to go back to the minors for parts of the next three seasons. The odds that Schoop starts on our roster on opening day and never sees the minors again are pretty small for a guy who has been posting .700ish OPS's the last few years because he has been promoted aggressively. He's on our roster because he had a hot spring and Manny is hurt, but chances are high that he will return to finishing school at some point.

He's a bad particular example. I just meant he's kind of a late bloomer. And you never know how a player's career will progress. My point was you grab ALL players' 7th year just in case.

So stoked that Schoop made the team. Give him time between 2B and 3B while Manny recovers and let him earn the spot. If Flaherty shows he can hit and Schoop can't hack it, give him some more time at Norfolk.

In any event, I love this!

Hornsby was a "grump" too?

Famously. Remember he's a full-on inner circle HOFer. But before the 1928 season, in his prime, age 31, coming off a year where he hit .361 and led the league in OPS, following a long string of years where he led the NL in AVG/OBP/SLG every single year, he was traded for Shanty Hogan and Jimmy Welsh. Would be kind of like Miguel Cabrera (for the rest of his career!) for Schoop and... I don't know, Hank Conger or something.

The next year he was traded for a bunch of middling prospects and cash. That kind of stuff doesn't happen if people like you.

He's a bad particular example. I just meant he's kind of a late bloomer. And you never know how a player's career will progress. My point was you grab ALL players' 7th year just in case.

At some point it makes sense to win now and worry about hypothetical 7th years under team control later. Live for today, tomorrow might look like the Orioles of 2001.

Schoop could play every day the next two seasons and still would likely not be arbitration eligible through Super 2 status after the 2015 season. He could not be a free agent until at least after the 2019 season. If he gets sent to the minors later this year at some point, that could become until not after the 2020 season.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/03/the-minor.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> plan on Schoop making team, alternating at second with Lombardozzi and third with Flaherty.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So send Flaherty down?

Slightly off topic... but even without playing any games with Flaherty's service time he can't be a free agent until 2018, when he's 32. He was a first round pick in 2008. Someone of his talent level it's not implausible that his career will be essentially over by 2018, at least he'll be in decline. I have to think that at some point this type of thing will come up in the CBA - there are some late bloomers who will spend 12, 13 years in pro ball without ever becoming free agents. The Phil's Carlos Ruiz, if he hadn't signed an extension, I think wouldn't have been eligible for free agency until 34.

Seems like a dougnut hole - if you aren't any good you become a minor league free agent after six years. If you are good and come to the majors in your early-mid 20s you're a free agent by 30. But if you're a tweener like Ruiz or Flaherty you get no say in your employer until you're pretty close to done and you're probably taking whatever you can get anyway.

Dan made a case last evening for a second baseman with extreme power.

In the Hardy's-gone scenario, Flaherty could be a second baseman with good (not extreme) power, Manny a shortstop with extreme power (for his position), and Schoop a third baseman with good power. An argument for keeping Ryan at second and playing Schoop at third during Manny's recovery?

In the Hardy's-gone scenario, Flaherty could be a second baseman with good (not extreme) power, Manny a shortstop with extreme power (for his position), and Schoop a third baseman with good power. An argument for keeping Ryan at second and playing Schoop at third during Manny's recovery?

This makes a lot of sense overall, but the Orioles feel Flaherty is a much better third baseman than Schoop right now. After seeing how valuable a 3B with very good range was with Machado, I think they rather have Flaherty there at least against right-handers.

Archived