New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.797 OPs last year v LHP, .736 career, so he's not a guy thats gonna kill you against LHP and if he can build on last year, might even be a small asset.

If we acquire him, he starts 150 games at 1B in 2007. If he is down in the low .700s v LHP, then platoon him the next year, if he's hitting well against them, then we've found our 1B for a few years. Unless the pitching really takes off, we're not gonna compete anyways, so it won't be a huge problem to find out how well he hits LHP.

Ok, changing pace again.

We get LaRoche and Giles.

Flip Giles and Liz/Olson and whoever else it takes(Gibbons/Wright/Benson?) for Peavy.

Rlo for Jenkins

Sign Lugo.

2b Lugo

3b Mora

RF Markakis

ss Tejada

1B LaRoche

DH Millar

LF Jenkins

c Hernandez

cf Patterson

Peavy

Bedard

Benson/Wright

Loewen

Cabrera

WOO HOO!!!

Ok, changing pace again.

We get LaRoche and Giles.

Flip Giles and Liz/Olson and whoever else it takes(Gibbons/Wright/Benson?) for Peavy.

You'll have to give up a lot more than that to get Peavy.

I posted something like this earlier, but here's what I'm thinking.

Since we seem to be the ones wanting more on a Roberts/Penn for Giles/LaRoche deal, we offer them Roberts + Liz/Olson for Giles + LaRoche

We then move Giles, Penn, Reimold, and Benson/Wright for Peavy.

Essentially we trade Roberts, Penn, Reimold, Liz/Olson, and Benson/Wright for Peavy and LaRoche. I'd definitely make that trade, even though we do give up 3 of our top 10 prospects. We get back a very solid, young, power hitting 1B, and a stud SP.

It's that kind of mentality that had the O's being content to stay with guys like BJ Surhoff and Jeff Conine. If you can improve the team by trading Roberts, you do it. There's no reason for sentimentality when you lose 90 games every year.

Quoth the Fonz, "exactimundo." The only 3 O's position players that will yield any sort of capital on the trade market are Brian, Miggy or Nick. If our FO is truly planning to "make a splash" or "be creative" at these meetings, we're going to need to part ways with one or more of them -- and Nick really is untouchable, AFAIC. We're certainly not going to improve our lot by dangling Jay and RLo in front of everyone.

You'll have to give up a lot more than that to get Peavy.

I posted something like this earlier, but here's what I'm thinking.

Since we seem to be the ones wanting more on a Roberts/Penn for Giles/LaRoche deal, we offer them Roberts + Liz/Olson for Giles + LaRoche

We then move Giles, Penn, Reimold, and Benson/Wright for Peavy.

Essentially we trade Roberts, Penn, Reimold, Liz/Olson, and Benson/Wright for Peavy and LaRoche. I'd definitely make that trade, even though we do give up 3 of our top 10 prospects. We get back a very solid, young, power hitting 1B, and a stud SP.

It doesn't look like you are giving that much more than my proposal.

You are really giving up unproven talent instead of solid pitchers.

I mean I wouldn't mind getting rid of Benson and Wright in my deal. It wouldn't have to limit 3 players.

It looks like San Diego might want to contend this year and they may be willing to part with their best piece to fill 3-4 holes.

It doesn't look like you are giving that much more than my proposal.

You are really giving up unproven talent instead of solid pitchers.

I mean I wouldn't mind getting rid of Benson and Wright in my deal. It wouldn't have to limit 3 players.

It looks like San Diego might want to contend this year and they may be willing to part with their best piece to fill 3-4 holes.

If they'd prefer Benson, Wright, and Gibbons to Penn and Reimold then I'd be all for that, I just dont think that would be the case.

It will take alot more than Laroche and Giles for me to part with Roberts and Penn. It would have to blow my socks off. Something like Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. Or even Teix. And thats how much I value our guys. Roberts is a huge part of this team. HUGE

If they'd prefer Benson, Wright, and Gibbons to Penn and Reimold then I'd be all for that, I just dont think that would be the case.

I suppose it depends on what the outlook for the season is. Plus if we have Giles, that might be of major intrest for them.

I don't know much about the Pads, so its hard to specualte what they would want for Peavy, even though the kid is legit as all hell.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...

If this trade goes through, and Giles is indeed spun off in a followup deal, one option for 2B that hasn't been mentioned is former O's farmhand Mike Fontenot. He's one of the guys you sent over for Sammy Sosa.

He had a solid year in AAA and is basically ML-ready. He'd probably give you enough OBP to be passable as a leadoff hitter.

He's been left exposed to the Rule 5 draft, so the O's could have him basically for free.

I want something better than this for BROb and Penn.

I agree with Mackus..Pursue Peavy.

What about this 3 way deal:

Atlanta gets:

Ray

BRob

SD gets:

Giles

Penn

Orioles get:

LaRoche

Peavy

No way SD accepts just Penn and Giles for Peavy, plus no way should we give up Ray and Brob for just LaRoche and Giles.

I really think we should be able to get LaRoche and Giles for Roberts and Liz / Olson. That way we could ship Giles, Penn, and then whatever else we need to add in to get Peavy. I'd offer them Giles, Penn and either Reimold, Wright, and Gibbons or Ray. Would much prefer they take Reimold, Wright, and Gibby though.

If this trade goes through, and Giles is indeed spun off in a followup deal, one option for 2B that hasn't been mentioned is former O's farmhand Mike Fontenot. He's one of the guys you sent over for Sammy Sosa.

He had a solid year in AAA and is basically ML-ready. He'd probably give you enough OBP to be passable as a leadoff hitter.

He's been left exposed to the Rule 5 draft, so the O's could have him basically for free.

Good call Dave.

Wow, now you are thinking too much Dave.

Tisk tisk. Haven't you learned?! ;)

No way SD accepts just Penn and Giles for Peavy, plus no way should we give up Ray and Brob for just LaRoche and Giles.

I really think we should be able to get LaRoche and Giles for Roberts and Liz / Olson. That way we could ship Giles, Penn, and then whatever else we need to add in to get Peavy. I'd offer them Giles, Penn and either Reimold, Wright, and Gibbons or Ray. Would much prefer they take Reimold, Wright, and Gibby though.

We'd be giving up Ray and BRob for Laroche and Peavy in that proposal, which I would do. I think you're right about SD not accepting it though.

Archived