Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

In 2012 from April 7-June 2 Flash hit 175 .204 .379 in 59 PA

From June 4 -July 25 .258 .303 .403 .706 in 68 PA

From August 1 - Oct 3 .243 .300 .514 .814 in 40 PA

In 2012 playoffs .273 .273 .545 .818 11 PA

In 2103 from April 4th - May 31 .150 .234 .250 .484 in 112 PA

From June 1 -July 13 .300 .333 .475 .808 in 84 PA

From July 22 -Sept 29 .242 .333 .500 .833 in 75 PA So for two stretches early in the season totaling 171 PA he was a sub .500 OPS hitter. Then for one stretch of 68 PA in 2012 he was a .700 OPS guy

and for 211 PA late in 2012 and late in 2013 he was an .800 OPS hitter. So which is he? A guy who can't hit and never will, or a guy who might have the potential to be a .700+ OPS hitter, not bad for a middle IF?

You forgot one:

From March 31, 2014 - April 26, 2014... .188 BA, .268 OBP, .234 SLG, .502 OPS (71 PA)

So which is he? A guy who, when looking at his entire body of work, proves to be...not very good, and suited, at best, for a utility role? Or a potential figment of your imagination who, almost inexplicably, has convinced you of his talent beyond a reasonable doubt due to his ability to, every now and again, string together several dozen decent-to-good ABs?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You forgot one:

From March 31, 2014 - April 26, 2014... .188 BA, .268 OBP, .234 SLG, .502 OPS (71 PA)

So which is he? A guy who, when looking at his entire body of work, proves to be...not very good, and suited, at best, for a utility role? Or a potential figment of your imagination who, almost inexplicably, has convinced you of his talent beyond a reasonable doubt due to his ability to, every now and again, string together several dozen decent-to-good ABs?

I agree ... MLB hitters have found ways to get him out often. If he doesn't adjust the team should look for a util guy that hand get a hit more than 18 out of 100 times.

So what is your suggestion, we DFA him? You don't se any potential value with him? Do you have a point?

My point is Flaherty hasn't proven to be sufficiently compelling a talent to warrant any further investment beyond that which expediency dictates.

Perhaps he is someone with 500+ PA's over a two year period who has not proven to be sufficiently compelling a talent to warrant any further investment beyond that which expediency dictates.
That would be roughly 2017 or 2018 at Flaherty's current rate. If it were up to me, I'll risk being premature.
So what is your suggestion, we DFA him? You don't se any potential value with him? Do you have a point?
My point is Flaherty hasn't proven to be sufficiently compelling a talent to warrant any further investment beyond that which expediency dictates.

I'm having a hard time following this. First of all, Flaherty has all three options remaining, so DFAing him isn't on the table. Second, what are we "investing" in him? I think this is a simple matter of, when Manny comes back, are we best off with Schoop/Lombardozzi, Schoop/Flaherty, or Lombardozzi/Flaherty? (Ignore the order in which I listed the two players in each pair, I didn't mean to suggest anything by that.) All three players have their pros and cons right now. For me, Schoop is the only one likely to be a long-term regular, but it isn't clear that he's ready right now, and there is the service time issue to consider. Flaherty and Lombardozzi are more complementary players, with Flaherty having more defensive versatility, Lombardozzi having better contact and baserunning skills.

At this point how can anyone defend Flaherty? I am sure Brandon Fahey could play 4 positions, but who cares he couldnt hit.

In fact, you can't spell Flaherty without "Fahey." And the letters are even in the same order.

Or did I just blow your mind?

I'm having a hard time following this. First of all, Flaherty has all three options remaining, so DFAing him isn't on the table. Second, what are we "investing" in him? I think this is a simple matter of, when Manny comes back, are we best off with Schoop/Lombardozzi, Schoop/Flaherty, or Lombardozzi/Flaherty? (Ignore the order in which I listed the two players in each pair, I didn't mean to suggest anything by that.) All three players have their pros and cons right now. For me, Schoop is the only one likely to be a long-term regular, but it isn't clear that he's ready right now, and there is the service time issue to consider. Flaherty and Lombardozzi are more complementary players, with Flaherty having more defensive versatility, Lombardozzi having better contact and baserunning skills.

Honestly I think Schoop will go back to play everyday at Norfolk. He's looked good to me but he needs to cut down on the Ks and no sense to excellerate the clock. So for its Flaherty/Schoop unless you can trade for somebody better. My problem with the bench has to do with not getting production. If you are going to carry a ton of pitchers your 3 to 4 bench players need to contribute with the bat.

Really here I'm blaming Buck as part of the problem. Pearce had no opportunity to contribute. Now after a hot start Delmon Young is rotting on the bench. You have to actually use the guys to be able to get anything out of them. That said Flaherty is almost an automatic out and paired with Teagarden our bench just stunk.

Okay, now that we have theory, what does that mean in practice?

It means start looking for a replacement UTIF with better hitting skills. His defensive ability makes it expedient to keep him around until that happens. His offensive performance after 500+ ML PA's (.636 OPS) makes it reasonable to start searching for his replacement now. I completely buy the notion that a utility IF is increasingly important as the trend turns to carrying more pitchers. I don't buy the notion that all Flaherty needs is more PA's to turn the corner and finally find consistency. IMO opportunity needs to be seized. His has been ample and it looks like it will remain there for at least a while longer. I hope he makes the most of it because the clock ought to be ticking.

My use of the word investment meant roster spot and PA's. So far that's two years, 500+ PA's and counting. I advocate keeping him around only long enough to find a better alternative. I'm not suggesting that will be easy hence the use of the word expedient. I never suggested Flaherty be DFA'd.

I agree with your assessment of the situation once Manny returns. The only thing I'm "invested" in is the development of Schoop. Personally I would like to see that happen at the ML level even if it meant a few growing pains this season while he adjusts to ML pitching.

The only thing I'm "invested" in is the development of Schoop. Personally I would like to see that happen at the ML level even if it meant a few growing pains this season while he adjusts to ML pitching.

My opinion on this changes almost daily, mostly due to the service time issue. If he will be clearly better than the others this year, I might throw the service time issue to the winds. Otherwise, I'd be sorely tempted to have him spend some time in AAA.

My opinion on this changes almost daily, mostly due to the service time issue. If he will be clearly better than the others this year, I might throw the service time issue to the winds. Otherwise, I'd be sorely tempted to have him spend some time in AAA.

Schoop has been more valuable than Flaherty thus far. IMO, that's unassailable. However, and unfortunately, I think Schoop hasn't made the gap wide enough to take service time/financial considerations completely off the table. Right now, their OBP's are identical, despite the differences in BA, and it's possible that Flaherty has the defensive edge at 2B.

That said, I see Flaherty as the worst option for the O's at 2B right now. Lombo is younger, gets on base at a better clip, and, while he's probably worse at 2B, represents a slight, overall upgrade to Flaherty. Weeks, based off the smallest of small sample sizes, has shown an ability to work the count/get on base, and also...uh...has a glove? Accordingly, it might just make sense to send Schoop down for however long he needs to be down in order to preserve that extra year of service time because the gap between him and the O's worst alternative just isn't that large.

Of course, as indicated by the above, I don't mean any of that to imply that Flaherty should be starting once Schoop is demoted. I think Manny's return should signal Flaherty's corresponding return to the bench. Hopefully for long stretches at a time.

I always pull for our Oriole players but after a while it gets old seeing someone struggle for so long at a time. I have been a Flaherty supporter for about as long as I can handle it, when he bats it's like one of the many backup catchers we have had recently with a homer every now and then. I just can't see him hitting even .230 which he has not done yet and don't seem like he will at any time soon. I like his glove and versatility but after awhile the automatic out thing gets old. If a runner is on third with less than two outs I just hope he makes some kind of contact so he may get lucky and hit a dribbler that scores the run. He needs to be on the bench as a utility player like his stats prove he should. Okay now that I got that out last year when I done this he went on a little tear so maybe lightning can strike twice. (I won't hold my breath tho)

I doubt he ends up being much more than he is but Flaherty's been hitting into some horrible luck too, his BABIP is around .240 but his LD% is in the mid 20's. His BB% and Contact rate are up, and his K% is down. I've always been a Flash fan cause of his defense but I don't think what he's doing with the bat right now is a true representation of what he can do.

Archived