If Davis is out for any extended period of time, signing Morales becomes a no brainer

AlbionHero

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you could get him for one year deal, I would be open to considering it. I am not willing to tie up those resources for the next 3-4 years. O's have a lot of guys in their arbitration years, you sign him now you are going to have to lose some of those guy during the offseason. Cutting Markakis loose only saves so much.

Do you think we sign either Wieters or Davis? I think Davis is more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were already considering signing him BEFORE the injury, so they obviously have a plan. Morales to DH and Cruz to LF, I'd assume.

Get off the Morales train.. it left the station a looooooooooooooooong time ago.

It was between Cruz or Morales. O's signed Cruz because in a pinch or need be he could play a position and not kill us. Morales could just DH in the opinion of O's scouts and FO.

O's never had a plan for both of them. They had a plan for a hitter and a pitcher and that's what we got.

If you could get him for one year deal, I would be open to considering it. I am not willing to tie up those resources for the next 3-4 years. O's have a lot of guys in their arbitration years, you sign him now you are going to have to lose some of those guy during the offseason. Cutting Markakis loose only saves so much.

If Morales was willing to sign a one year deal he would be signed already. He will sign a 1/2 year deal after the draft.

I think that is the only way.

Not sure but saw this in the Sun:

The easiest solution would have been Steve Pearce, but he was designated for assignment on Tuesday meaning the Orioles have 10 days to trade, release or ask waivers on him. They can't pull him back from the designation, and releasing him and then re-signing him doesn't work in this situation because he wouldn't be eligible to return to the active roster until 30 days after the release.

Their best hope is if he clears waivers and returns to the team -- and were not privy to when he was placed on waivers -- so it's hard to say what that timetable could be. Or if he gets through waivers.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-the-chris-davis-oblique-injury-fallout-20140425,0,5272498.story#ixzz300nyvYxg

Not sure but saw this in the Sun:

The easiest solution would have been Steve Pearce, but he was designated for assignment on Tuesday meaning the Orioles have 10 days to trade, release or ask waivers on him. They can't pull him back from the designation, and releasing him and then re-signing him doesn't work in this situation because he wouldn't be eligible to return to the active roster until 30 days after the release.

Their best hope is if he clears waivers and returns to the team -- and were not privy to when he was placed on waivers -- so it's hard to say what that timetable could be. Or if he gets through waivers.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-the-chris-davis-oblique-injury-fallout-20140425,0,5272498.story#ixzz300nyvYxg

How does that work?

I don't think it'll happen, but I'd be interested to hear Christian Walker's name in the mix. He's inexperienced, but he's also 23. Not necessarily too young to have a cup of coffee.

Walker is the fall back if Davis goes. Let's see what he does at Bowie for most of this season.. first.

If Davis has been playing hurt it explains some of the drop in production. Everyone was expecting some regression so perhaps looking at 4 to 5 WAR from a healthy Davis rather than 6.

So if he's out for a month, it costs the team about a W or so. More if it is a longer period of time. With the AL East already demonstrating itself as being particularly difficult this year, the FO's short term decision is whether or not we concede that win without trying to replace that value as much as we possibly can.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

If Davis has been playing hurt it explains some of the drop in production. Everyone was expecting some regression so perhaps looking at 4 to 5 WAR from a healthy Davis rather than 6.

So if he's out for a month, it costs the team about a W or so. More if it is a longer period of time. With the AL East already demonstrating itself as being particularly difficult this year, the FO's short term decision is whether or not we concede that win without trying to replace that value as much as we possibly can.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Davis wasn't playing hurt. In fact when these aches and pains he said were starting was about the time Davis found his power. So Davis was struggling a good bid on the power side because he was being pitched differently then last year.

He's not gonna be out a month. I doubt it's more then 10 days. It's a Grade 1.. and happened on a cold rainy night. Weather can make injuries seem bigger which is why the O's haven't made a move yet. In 48-72 hrs we'll know for sure. But like I said I'll be surprised if it's longer then 10 days. It's not like he keeled over or anything.. just a wince.

We don't have to really worry about AL EAST teams until later in the season. So going .500 with Davis, Jones and others "struggling" while being lifted by Cruz for wins there is no reason for anybody to panic or make a panic roster. There are still over a 130 games left to play.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> have continued dialogue with kendrys morales, but gap still exists. <a href="http://t.co/zz4bOgk3L4">http://t.co/zz4bOgk3L4</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">May 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived