o

(vs. D-RAYS, 4/26)

1 l Inning Pitched

0 Runs

0 Hits

0 ) Walks 

ll Strikeouts

lPitches )(6 )Strikes, ))Balls

2018 ERA: lllllllllllll 4.66 )  9.67 IP  (5 ER)

2018 WHIP: lll.lllll 1.552 )  9.67 IP  (15 H/BB)

2018 BATTING AVG: Oo .243  )l) (9 for 37)

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. ROYALS, 5/09)

Brach essentially got 5 outs to close the game out tonight.

After walking the first batter of the inning, he induced a double-play grounder ........ except that Jonathan Schoop flubbed it, and both runners were safe.

He then proceeded to get the next 3 batters out to close the game, regardless of what had previously occurred in the inning.

o

44 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ROYALS, 5/09)

Brach essentially got 5 outs to close the game out tonight.

After walking the first batter of the inning, he induced a double-play grounder ........ except that Jonathan Schoop flubbed it, and both runners were safe.

He then proceeded to get the next 3 batters out to close the game, regardless of what had previously occurred in the inning.

o

He’s so mentally weak....?

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 5/11)

Richard Bleier had a rare bad game tonight.

Brach entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base, 2 outs, and 3 runs already in. He got C.J. Cron to ground out to end the inning, and then recorded 3 more outs in the 9th to finish the game.

In the process of recording 4 the outs that he got, he only threw )11 Pitches )(8 )Strikes, )3 Balls.)

o

o

(vs. RED SOX, 5/18)

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd base with 2 outs in the 8th inning, and the Orioles clinging to a 6-4 lead.

After walking the first batter that he faced on 8 pitches, he induced Mookie Betts to pop out to end the inning.

After the Orioles added an insurance run in the top of the 9th, Brach finished off the Red Sox by getting out 3 of the 4 batters that he faced.

1.33 lll Innings Pitched

1 lllllllll Hit ) (Double)

1 lllllllll Walk 

llllllllll Strikeouts

29 lPitches )(19 )Strikes, )10 )Balls

2018 ERA: lllllllllllll 4.00 )  18.00 IP   (8 ER)

2018 WHIP: lll.lllll 1.611 )  18.00 IP   (29 H/BB)

2018 BATTING AVG: Oo .270  )l) (20 for 74)

o

o

Brach is 8-for-8 in Save situations since Opening Day (including an extremely shaky one at Yankee Stadium back in April.)

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 5/25)

lllll Inning Pitched

2 lllll Hits ) (2 Singles)

0 lllll Walks 

llllll Strikeouts

17 lPitches )(11 )Strikes, ))Balls

2018 ERA: lllllllllllll 3.60 )  20.00 IP   (8 ER)

2018 WHIP: lll.lllll 1.700 )  20.00 IP   (34 H/BB)

2018 BATTING AVG: Oo .277  )l) (23 for 83)

o

It hasn’t always been pretty, and Brach’s velocity still seems to come and go, but the accusation that Brach “doesn’t have a closer’s mentality” is being undermined by his performance.    Don’t want to say too much because I don’t want to jinx him.    8 out of 9 is quite decent, though not dominant.   8 out of 10 is awful.    That’s how thin the line is for a closer.   

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Would you re-sign Brach? I wouldn't, but someone will want him.

o

I would consider signing him to a 1-year deal for the 2019 season IF he continues to pitch (at least) reasonably well over the next few months.

I think that the return of Zach Britton next month will help BOTH Brach individually AND the Orioles' bullpen at-large.

o

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

would you re-sign Brach? I wouldnt, but someone will want him.

Nope...other priorities.  I would trade him once Zach is back and pitching well which hopefully will improve Brach's value a bit more as he pitches better in the setup role typically.   And then trade Zach too.     Neither of them would be re-sign priorities for this team in my book. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

Brach is 10-for-10 in Save situations since Opening Day (including an extremely shaky one at Yankee Stadium back in April.)

Yesterday's Save was the 2nd in two consecutive games, and an afternoon game immediately after a night game.

(vs. METS, 6/06)

lllll Inning Pitched

1 lllll Hits ) (1 Single)

0 lllll Walks 

llllll Strikeouts

13 lPitches )(9 )Strikes, ))Balls

2018 ERA: lllllllllllll 3.13  )  23.00 IP   (8 ER)

2018 WHIP: lllllllll 1.565  )  23.00 IP   (36 H/BB)

2018 BATTING AVG: Oo .258  )l) (24 for 93)

o

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/07)

Brach was brought in for the 3rd consecutive day, and promptly coughed up the Orioles' 4-1 lead.

NOW Castro was just brought in, and at best can keep the game at a tie and play for extra innings.

Sometimes, I really wonder what Showalter is thinking.

o

o

What will it take for Showalter to show a little creativity in his bullpen management, and not necessarily bring Brad Brach in for a 3rd consecutive day as though it were a punishable crime not to do so ???

Even with the absence of the injured Zach Britton, I'm all for a primary closer ....... a PRIMARY closer, not a SOLITARY closer.

o

Archived