Nick Hundley for Troy Patton

eddie83

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You missed the natural progression.

I hope you are jumping to conclusions. We don't know about Wieters yet. But even if he comes back his year it is probably not until July.

If DD got a good deal on Hundley and the difference in salary his not too much over Patton, the O's may make that deal any way. Clevenger has been slipping offensively and Joseph is not hitting.

Is there any reason in particular that you want the O's to acquire a poor defensive OFer with a .714 OPS who's making $15.5 million this year (and who's owed at least another $53.5 million through 2017), or is Markakis not enough for you when it comes to suspect defensive OFers who're somewhat seriously overpaid.

And actually...haven't you been one of the people calling Markakis "terrible" this season? Why do you want to trade for an even more expensive Markakis clone?

Ethier wasn't bad defensively last year playing CF. The guy mashes righties and has a good walk rate. I'm sure LA could eat some salary. And no, I like Nick. Just needs to up his slugging percentage a bit.

I don't think this really says anything about Wieters. I think it means this team can't afford to have a guy in the lineup that is struggling to hit over .050. Heck, we could probably let Britton do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ethier wasn't bad defensively last year playing CF. The guy mashes righties and has a good walk rate. I'm sure LA could eat some salary. And no, I like Nick. Just needs to up his slugging percentage a bit.

Yes. Yes, he was. He wasn't atrocious, but he was pretty bad.

Nick's SLG is actually higher than Ethier's right now.

Sequence of moves.

Lombardozzi up; Patton traded.

When Hundley arrives; Joseph to be sent down.

Davis leaves tomorrow for paternity leave: Guilmet activated.

Davis returns on Tuesday; Lombardozzi or Schoop optioned.

Thanks for saving my hungover brain from having to figure that out.

Yes. Yes, he was. He wasn't atrocious, but he was pretty bad.

Nick's SLG is actually higher than Ethier's right now.

Ethier has never had an OPS under .820 in a full season. For his career he has a .901 OPS against righties with a 141 wRC+. He has pretty much been 2012 Markakis or better each year so I don't know how you think he wouldn't help the team...

Ethier has never had an OPS under .820 in a full season. For his career he has a .901 OPS against righties with a 141 wRC+. He has pretty much been 2012 Markakis or better each year so I don't know how you think he wouldn't help the team...

Uhh...what? He's had some injury issues, but it's not like he suffered OPS drops below .820 only in seasons in which he was limited to like 40 games. Since 2011, his OPS's have been .789 (135 games), .812 (149 games), .783 (142 games), and .714 through 41 games this season. Last year he hit righties well (.854 OPS), but he's posting a .752 OPS against them this year.

Regardless, you're playing with the numbers in some pretty disingenuous ways. I'm going to have to agree with CoC that this sounds like a case of name recognition more than anything.

Btw, it's not that I think he's a "bad" player. But I don't think he'd help the O's all that much, and certainly not for what he'd cost in re: his contract this year and going forward.

I hope you are jumping to conclusions. We don't know about Wieters yet. But even if he comes back his year it is probably not until July.

If DD got a good deal on Hundley and the difference in salary his not too much over Patton, the O's may make that deal any way. Clevenger has been slipping offensively and Joseph is not hitting.

I jumped to no conclusion beyond the scope of what you did. You are doing pretty good with your predictions of cause and effect.

Hundley probably will see the bulk of the action behind the dish though Clevenger should still see some action as well. This also suggests that Wieters may be heading for surgery.

Of course it does. Too much money for a backup deal. Good read.

Archived