Nick Hundley for Troy Patton

eddie83

I thought Joseph called a great game, too bad he hit like an old lady.
How can you tell if be called a good game? If the pitcher threw a good game, he very likely didn't call a poor one, but how can you tell what was the catcher's game and what was the pitcher's?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an excellent trade for the Orioles and DD has fleeced the Padres. To get a veteran catcher and 2 million back is like winning the lotto. I hope the pitchers and him adapt to each other quickly. Now send Schoop down, try to move Lough in a deal and.......find a replacement for Flaherty and we will be on the right track. Quinton Berry needs to be brought up for OF help and to give us some more speed on the bases and I would bring Weeks back up. I said this last week.....basically swap Schoop and Flaherty for Lombardozzi (already up) and Weeks.

He better be starting most night. Clevenger has come back to earth.

I don't know why people think that Hundley will automatically become the starting catcher. He's been the backup catcher at San Diego. And even though Clevenger may have come back down to earth a little, he still has better numbers than Hundley does this year. I largely expect to see the same left/right platoon that we had with Clevenger/Joseph.

Well, what can you expect from a deal that (a) nets us a starting-ish catcher when most teams are still in the running for a playoff spot, and (b) costs us Troy Patton?

We will most definitely miss Wieters. Get well Matt!

I'm more responding to people saying we fleeced the Padres, as if Hundley is a very good player. Hundley has always been a part time catcher, and people make it sound like we're getting a legit catcher. Clevenger would probably put up the same numbers over the course of a season. I have no doubt that after watching him for 4 months, people are going to be much more reluctant to say let Wieters walk next year.

.644 career OPS and led the league in steals allowed in only 114 games last season. We won't miss Wieters a bit.

Actually his career OPS is .685. It was .679 last year. He had a 94 OPS+ last year as compared to Wieter's 90 and the career difference is around 8 points. He was 26% CS last year (2% below average) but is average (28%) career. Wieter's is 33% (7% over average). Anecdotally, his reputation is well regarded defensively and as a handler. His durability has always been a question.

We'd all rather have Wieters, especially good hitting Wieter's of this year, but I'm not sure Wieters/Clevenger will be that big of a blow. We need to patch some other areas.

Actually his career OPS is .685. It was .679 last year. He had a 94 OPS+ last year as compared to Wieter's 90 and the career difference is around 8 points. He was 26% CS last year (2% below average) but is average (28%) career. Wieter's is 33% (7% over average). Anecdotally, his reputation is well regarded defensively and as a handler. His durability has always been a question.

We'd all rather have Wieters, especially good hitting Wieter's of this year, but I'm not sure Wieters/Clevenger will be that big of a blow. We need to patch some other areas.

Yeah, I just noticed I cited his OPS for this season. No matter how I look at it, though, he's been in the big leagues for 7 years and has only gotten 1644 AB's. Admittedly, I know nothing of the Padres players and if they had a stud catcher blocking him for the past 7 years, but they clearly felt like he wasn't a full time player. I understand that they got him for basically nothing, but I'm just not as gung ho as the rest of the folks that this is some huge coup. Big upgrade to Joseph, Clevenger could probably do just as well, and I suspect it will be a pretty strict platoon.

Yeah, I just noticed I cited his OPS for this season. No matter how I look at it, though, he's been in the big leagues for 7 years and has only gotten 1644 AB's. Admittedly, I know nothing of the Padres players and if they had a stud catcher blocking him for the past 7 years, but they clearly felt like he wasn't a full time player. I understand that they got him for basically nothing, but I'm just not as gung ho as the rest of the folks that this is some huge coup. Big upgrade to Joseph, Clevenger could probably do just as well, and I suspect it will be a pretty strict platoon.

Some teams believe in resting/platooning their catchers more than we do. Put a little more effort into having 2 competent catchers. From my recollection, many of Hundley's past issues have been related to health and injuries.

Hundley's splits against LHP are very poor and Clevenger is a LHB, so I'm not sure how they are going to handle it, but I suspect both will play regularly with Buck valuing Hundley's defense/experience more. That is of course assuming that Clevenger is the guy staying.

How many batters has clevenger thrown out this year?

One? Two? Can't be more than that.

If he can throw out runners and keep them from tearing up the base paths against us, as long as he is mediocre at the plate he will be a huge upgrade over Joseph. Might even be an upgrade over clevenger all things considered.

Either way, you'd have to be nuts to not see how this helps the team.

Few points:

Hundley is not a workhorse catcher. He has averaged 85 games and 285 AB over the last three years.

Neither Hundley nor Clevenger hit lefties very well.

The prorated portion of Hundley contract that the O's are responsible for is 2.8M.

The prorated portion remaining on Pattons contract is 894K.

Amount of Cash sent to O's is TBD.

Corey Brock who covers the Padres for MLB (same as Britt for the O's) is reporting that the Padres sent just under 2M with Hundley. Sounds like a salary neutral deal.

Hundley's with 2.8M in salary remaining for the rest of the year plus 1.9M in cash,

For Patton and his 900K salary remaining for the rest of the year.

That being the case, I don't think that Hundley's acquisition says anything about Wieters injury. The deal for an experienced, cheap catcher would be a good deal for the O's if Hundley turns out to be a backup catcher.

“Of all the guys that come through that you touch as players, there’s a few guys that you jot down as future staff guys. Managers, coaches, instructors, announcers, whatever,” says current Padres manager Bud Black. “Nick tracks toward the field as a future manager or coach.”

~mlbtraderumors

Corey Brock who covers the Padres for MLB (same as Britt for the O's) is reporting that the Padres sent just under 2M with Hundley. Sounds like a salary neutral deal.

Hundley's with 2.8M in salary remaining for the rest of the year plus 1.9M in cash,

For Patton and his 900K salary remaining for the rest of the year.

That being the case, I don't think that Hundley's acquisition says anything about Wieters injury. The deal for an experienced, cheap catcher would be a good deal for the O's if Hundley turns out to be a backup catcher.

I know nothing about the status of Weiters but we all know Buck hated Clevenger for whatever reason since ST. Well maybe hate is a strong word, but clearly Buck missed his catch and throw guy. I am shocked we didn't get Teagarden back.

I am not sure I see this as any reflection on Weiters. I am not connecting those dots but perhaps Tony has some inside info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many batters has clevenger thrown out this year?

One? Two? Can't be more than that.

If he can throw out runners and keep them from tearing up the base paths against us, as long as he is mediocre at the plate he will be a huge upgrade over Joseph. Might even be an upgrade over clevenger all things considered.

Either way, you'd have to be nuts to not see how this helps the team.

3-19 according to Bref. Could have been 5 if not for a Hardy drop and Nick throwing the ball into OF on a rundown. That was in the same same game.

?Of all the guys that come through that you touch as players, there?s a few guys that you jot down as future staff guys. Managers, coaches, instructors, announcers, whatever,? says current Padres manager Bud Black. ?Nick tracks toward the field as a future manager or coach.?

~mlbtraderumors

Could Buck be on his way out.........:scratchchinhmm:

Archived