Duquette on Johan

Greg

No, do you think I made it up? I would never have guessed he wasn't already the leader in that race if I hadn't read it somewhere. I read it when he first signed with the O's. I didn't realize I should curate the link.

No, my point in asking is that I'd like to see it and I'm surprised they'd want someone who would put an individual goal ahead of the team like that. I guess it's a little different for guys closing in on the end of their careers but I'm not crazy about the idea of catering to a players wants so he can attain personal goals.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No where have I seen a non-starting role in the cards for Johan.

Maybe we roll with 6 man rotation to give Santana a spot, move Guilmet or Brach back down. Right? What other scenarios happen that doesn't involve another trade?

Here's a NY Post article from when he signed. Notice all the incentives are for starts. Here's a quote from the article:

Also, the Orioles believe they have a motivated athlete, in part because Santana (139 wins) wants to usurp Freddy Garcia (156 and on a minor league deal with the Braves) to have the most victories for any pitcher from Venezuela. Seattle’s Felix Hernandez has 110 wins and is likely to one day own that mark.

Here's a NY Post article from when he signed. Notice all the incentives are for starts. Here's a quote from the article:

Thanks, it makes sense when read in context, but I'm still not crazy about the idea because of what I previously stated about our rotation. I wonder if this is the hold up in negotiations and not the money. He wants assurances that he won't be moved to the BP and they are trying to figure out if/when or how many starts they can give him.

Thanks, it makes sense when read in context, but I'm still not crazy about the idea because of what I previously stated about our rotation. I wonder if this is the hold up in negotiations and not the money. He wants assurances that he won't be moved to the BP and they are trying to figure out if/when or how many starts they can give him.

I suspect the holdup is that he has no clear path to the rotation with the O's. My guess is that he'll opt out and sign with the Rangers later this week.

I suspect the holdup is that he has no clear path to the rotation with the O's. My guess is that he'll opt out and sign with the Rangers later this week.

Well, a six man rotation is not a thing in the Major Leagues. Not with good teams at least.

Our starters are 25th in MLB in ERA; the Rangers' starters are actually a little better. I'd say Johan has as good a chance breaking into our stellar rotation as anywhere...

Our starters are 25th in MLB in ERA; the Rangers' starters are actually a little better. I'd say Johan has as good a chance breaking into our stellar rotation as anywhere...

I think his chances of playing in the postseason are just as good in Baltimore as well.

Tillman can go on the DL and get his groin healthy like Hunter just did.

After that Gonzalez has relieved and started so he can go to the pen until someone else gets hurt or doesn't perform well.

Brach or Guilmet can go to AAA for a while.

If Santana can pitch effectively the O's can find a way to get him in the rotation. The question is does he have anything left?

More than 116 innings of Rangers pitching has come from pitchers now on the DL.

Archived