Duquette on Johan

Greg

Well of course the more the merrier but there can be no more than 25 and he doesn't appear to be amicable to relieving (just a guess).

John Smoltz wasn't amicable to becoming a closer, but did it anyway and effectively for three years.

Right now, its a whole lot of what ifs and let's just see what actually happens.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see them going to a sort of 5 1/2man rotation, moving Gonzo to the pen but spot starting him frequently, giving extra days rest to the likes of Chen, Santana, and Norris.

I've always favored 6 starters. It is a FACT that 5 starting pitchers just isn't going to get it done. This isn't new.

If we assume 5 SP and each one gets 32 starts per year (and pitches 6 innings per), then we need 5 pitchers capable of 200 innings (close enough). Well, thats just not going to happen.

Last year...............

36 pitchers achieved 200 innings (1 per team)

64 pitchers achieved 180 innings (2 per team) 28 not counting the 36 that pitched over 200 innings

96 pitchers achieved 150 innings (3 per team) 32 not counting the 64 that pitched over 180 innings

We need our starters to pitch roughly 900-1000 innings per year. Since acquiring 5 pitchers that all pitch 180+ innings a year is highly unlikely, a sixth starter fits the bill.

I've always favored 6 starters. It is a FACT that 5 starting pitchers just isn't going to get it done. This isn't new.

If we assume 5 SP and each one gets 32 starts per year (and pitches 6 innings per), then we need 5 pitchers capable of 200 innings (close enough). Well, thats just not going to happen.

Last year...............

36 pitchers achieved 200 innings (1 per team)

64 pitchers achieved 180 innings (2 per team) 28 not counting the 36 that pitched over 200 innings

96 pitchers achieved 150 innings (3 per team) 32 not counting the 64 that pitched over 180 innings

We need our starters to pitch roughly 900-1000 innings per year. Since acquiring 5 pitchers that all pitch 180+ innings a year is highly unlikely, a sixth starter fits the bill.

It is the continued de-evolution (or specialization) of starting pitchers. Throw hard as long as you can, we can mend you with TJ. The 5 or 6 or 5 1/2 will become more of the norm. Having a 6th potential starter could help to get more favorable match ups.

Santana could be a valuable piece and give Gausman a chance to get into a routine and grow some. You look at the plan for Bundy and Harvey the O's had (I realize they were high schoolers and needed that) and Gausman seemed to be thrown right into the lion's den.

It is the continued de-evolution (or specialization) of starting pitchers. Throw hard as long as you can, we can mend you with TJ. The 5 or 6 or 5 1/2 will become more of the norm. Having a 6th potential starter could help to get more favorable match ups.

Santana could be a valuable piece and give Gausman a chance to get into a routine and grow some. You look at the plan for Bundy and Harvey the O's had (I realize they were high schoolers and needed that) and Gausman seemed to be thrown right into the lion's den.

I'm all for Santana, I'd like to see 6 pitchers used as starters, not just throw one them to relief only use. If it means Young goes, so be it. He is seldom used anyways. And I'm not 100% sure, the bullpen would be an issue.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck didn't dismiss idea of 6 man rotation when Johan Santana is ready. Maybe. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Johan has "crafty lefty" written all over him. I fully expect him to have a moderate level of success, considering his age and the injury he's coming back from. Unfortunately, I don't think the success that he will have will make him a noticeably different than any of the 5 guys already in our rotation. The two guys with the lowest ERA+'s right now are Tillman and Jimenez, who are clearly the last two that will be shown the door from the rotation.

I don't think a 6-man rotation is a real option.

Is too much mediocrity a good problem to have?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck on Santana: "I don’t think there will be anything difficult about it. I’ve been hinting at going to 6 starters anyway." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck on Santana: "I don’t think there will be anything difficult about it. I’ve been hinting at going to 6 starters anyway." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Its interesting to me the two very different perspectives we have heard about the O's lately.

On the one hand the media seems to be pushing the idea of the O's as a front runner and deeply interested in Samardzija. On the other hand you have Buck publicly talking about the possibility of a 6 man rotation. If you trade for Samardzija your prob not going with a 6 man rotation long term.

I believe what I hear out of the horses mouth so to speak. I am sure we have interest in Samardzija at the right price but I also don't really believe we are nearly as hot and heavy for him as the media makes us out to be. Time will tell but I doubt the O's even discuss the possibility of a 6 man rotation just to pacify Santana, if they felt he could not help them, I think they would just let him opt out.

What do you think the Cubs would want for Arrieta and Strop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do need another starter who can go 4 2/3 and reliever who is only good when the game is not on the line.

If Johan is healthy, which he appears to be, he has a higher ceiling than any pitcher in our organization. Period. The guy is a multiple time cy young award winner with one of the best change ups in the history of the game.

He will never be the guy with a 95+ mph fastball again, but Greg Maddox dominated for years without a blazing fastball. Again, there is zero guarantee Johan will be Maddox or even his old self, but if he can get anywhere close to where he was before his injury when he was a sub 3 era guy who threw a no hitter in 2012, we absolutely have to let him have the chance to start for us.

Chen, Norris or Gausman can miss a few starts, work out of the pen or spot start for a few weeks while we see what Santana has. If any of them have a problem with it, buck should ask them where their cy young trophies are. If he fails miserably, release him and give whichever of them lost their job their role back.

If he takes the job and runs with it, you won't hear a single poster on this board complain about having Johan freaking Santana in our rotation.

Again, I don't see a problem here.

If Johan is healthy, which he appears to be, he has a higher ceiling than any pitcher in our organization. Period. The guy is a multiple time cy young award winner with one of the best change ups in the history of the game.

He will never be the guy with a 95+ mph fastball again, but Greg Maddox dominated for years without a blazing fastball. Again, there is zero guarantee Johan will be Maddox or even his old self, but if he can get anywhere close to where he was before his injury when he was a sub 3 era guy who threw a no hitter in 2012, we absolutely have to let him have the chance to start for us.

Chen, Norris or Gausman can miss a few starts, work out of the pen or spot start for a few weeks while we see what Santana has. If any of them have a problem with it, buck should ask them where their cy young trophies are. If he fails miserably, release him and give whichever of them lost their job their role back.

If he takes the job and runs with it, you won't hear a single poster on this board complain about having Johan freaking Santana in our rotation.

Again, I don't see a problem here.

Hyperbole much? Higher than Gausman , Bundy, Harvey, and even Tillman?

I think not.

If Johan is healthy, which he appears to be, he has a higher ceiling than any pitcher in our organization. Period.

The guy has pitched 117 innings since 2010. You may call "healthy" throwing a few innings in extended spring against babies but it is a far cry from being effective (and debatable whether or not he has shown he is truly healthy) but to say he has a higher ceiling than any pitcher in our organization is a giant, giant stretch. 117 innings since 2010. You can basically count the number of pitchers who successfully come back from that kind of situation on one hand. I am rooting for Santana, but counting on him to be an important addition is a bit of a pipe dream IMO. To believe that he will be outstanding is definitely a pipe dream IMO. Past history suggests it is likely that he gets hammered and ends the year on the DL or is ultimately released. I'm all for giving Santana a chance, but I think a lot of folks are likely to be very disappointed.

The guy has pitched 117 innings since 2010. You may call "healthy" throwing a few innings in extended spring against babies but it is a far cry from being effective (and debatable whether or not he has shown he is truly healthy) but to say he has a higher ceiling than any pitcher in our organization is a giant, giant stretch. 117 innings since 2010. You can basically count the number of pitchers who successfully come back from that kind of situation on one hand. I am rooting for Santana, but counting on him to be an important addition is a bit of a pipe dream IMO. To believe that he will be outstanding is definitely a pipe dream IMO. Past history suggests it is likely that he gets hammered and ends the year on the DL or is ultimately released. I'm all for giving Santana a chance, but I think a lot of folks are likely to be very disappointed.

I can't think of any that have come back from two shoulder surgeries to be even mildly effective, for even 3 months.

Archived