Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

Yes if it means that we keep a guy in the rotation that is better than he is. This vontract is going to be like Boston's Lackey contract. We have to hope we get a good year or two. The rest is likely to be miserable.

Not quite as miserable. Ubaldo is nowhere near the jerk that Lackey is. One thing to consider is that Ubaldo has never pitched out of the bullpen in the minors or majors. Yet another adjustment to be made. No, i think we have to keep working on it trying to get him right. Suppose he does get his mechanics fixed in bullpen. Let's say Ubaldo has three or four great bullpen appearances in a row, then what do you do in the middle of a pennant chase? Throw him back in the rotation and risk screwing him up or keep a 50 million dollar guy in the pen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm at a loss to explain Jimenez's BB problem this year. I really am. As Puck pointed out, his other numbers are pretty good. The walks, though...

I was all ready to blame poor framing but then Wieters got hurt and the O's brought up the second coming of Jose Molina.

The previous statement is false.

Just one more game with 5+ walks, and Jimenez will have himself a career high. One more 6-walk game, and he'll tie a career high set in 2010. He's never given up 7+ walks in a game, so let's hope that Buck doesn't let him reach that milestone.

I really like Jimenez because he strikes me as a smart pitcher who uses all his offerings to keep hitters off balance, but the control issues are starting to wear me down. It's really unprecedented for him, regardless of his rep coming into this season.

This is where I'm at as well. I know he has good stuff but watching the guy when he struggles with command is an exercise in tedium.

I'm not advocating putting him in the own long term, that would be a waste of resources. No, I'd rather he go there and see if we can tinker with his delivery until he finds some consistency. I just want him to be right.

You're comfortable putting a guy in the bullpen whose entire issue is control?
I think weams was referring to Gonzo, but I could be wrong. I have said all along, though, that going to the BP would allow him to work through these issues while possibly motivating him. You can also limit the damage out of the pen. Give him a clean inning with a lead, if he gets into trouble he's gone.

The walks are killing us.

I was. But I've changed. ;)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so again he strings together a few nice innings after putting us in the hole in the first inning. My argument for the BP is close to when I started this but mainly it gets him out of the rotation. You can't release him and you can't send him down without his permission.

Actually, that may not be a bad idea. Tell him you want him to work on some mechanical issues instead of going to the BP. If he says no, then you put him in the pen as the mop up guy only. It sucks because maybe TJ has to go down so Gonzo can come back up, but Ubaldo has to go.

I can't watch him any longer. Maybe an off season of throwing and he comes back motivated next year ready to go.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The way Ubaldo pitched tonight, September 1st can't come fast enough <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/buriedinbullpen?src=hash">#buriedinbullpen</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="

">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The way Ubaldo pitched tonight, September 1st can't come fast enough <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/buriedinbullpen?src=hash">#buriedinbullpen</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="
">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script# async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#buriedinthebullpen

Ain't that the truth!

Archived