Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

I don't know if we all did, but I did.

If I am thinking of the same one you are, I came away from it feeling real concerned for both the player and the organization - considering what they/we are expecting of him.

Can't recall specific mention of diagnosed anxiety in the article (although I could be "mis-remembering"). I DO remember him not wanted to be a pitcher though.

I'm no psychologist, but this picture does appear to show he is conflicted...

hi-res-4bc3e4c0d566ff50f48f838f9d69c7fa_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

...happy, sad, or both?

Sorta looks like Mona Lisa pitching

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries, isn't it about time for Drungo or someother OH guru to check in with some stat that says on his 13th start of a season every third year (if not a leap year) he will go 7.3 innings with only two walks and 11.1 strikeouts and from that point on he will post an ERA under 1.98 in day home games and 2.78 in night away games. so he will be fine. :laughlol::);)

I think Gonzo is better suited to the pen.
Because of the need for the extra MPH and the fact that his splitter sometimes works.
Yes .

My OP cited a scout outside the organization who felt Jimenez could work out his mechanics in the BP. Wallace has already helped Tillman with a mechanical and maybe he can have similar success with Jimenez given some time.

Gonzalez doesn't look to have mechanical issues just marginal ML stuff that would be better utilized in the BP. And he can bolster that unit making expendable the likes of guys such as Meek.

With some luck maybe maybe Jimenez can help us for the stretch run.

My OP cited a scout outside the organization who felt Jimenez could work out his mechanics in the BP. Wallace has already helped Tillman with a mechanical and maybe he can have similar success with Jimenez given some time.

Gonzalez doesn't look to have mechanical issues just marginal ML stuff that would be better utilized in the BP. And he can bolster that unit making expendable the likes of guys such as Meek.

With some luck maybe maybe Jimenez can help us for the stretch run.

I gotta wonder if putting Jimenez in the pen would not make things worse? Not so sure that taking a guy who runs hot and cold like Jimenz does benefits from being demoted essentially. He is the kinda guy I think you have to ride itout with because most years he eventually works it out enough to give ya a run of really good starts.

Ubaldo in June/July:

18 ER in 37 2/3 IP for a 4.30 ERA. 29 BB's, though. That's a 6.9 BB/9. The walks are the only thing holding him back this year. Everything else is really good. Not including today, batters are only hitting 246 off of him. 8.3 H/9. 7.9 SO/9. It all comes down to fastball command with Ubaldo.

You're comfortable putting a guy in the bullpen whose entire issue is control?

I think weams was referring to Gonzo, but I could be wrong. I have said all along, though, that going to the BP would allow him to work through these issues while possibly motivating him. You can also limit the damage out of the pen. Give him a clean inning with a lead, if he gets into trouble he's gone.

The walks are killing us.

You're comfortable putting a guy in the bullpen whose entire issue is control?

Yes if it means that we keep a guy in the rotation that is better than he is. This vontract is going to be like Boston's Lackey contract. We have to hope we get a good year or two. The rest is likely to be miserable.

Yes if it means that we keep a guy in the rotation that is better than he is. This vontract is going to be like Boston's Lackey contract. We have to hope we get a good year or two. The rest is likely to be miserable.

Do you really realize how failed your logic is unless he is limited to garbage time? Do you really want a non-strike thrower come into a close game in the 7th or 8th? He certainly has his issues as do 3 others in the rotation. Keep flip-flopping a 6 man rotation, give rest where needed, etc. He can give 6 ugly innings often enough and leave with the O's in a position to win most of the time.

I think weams was referring to Gonzo, but I could be wrong. I have said all along, though, that going to the BP would allow him to work through these issues while possibly motivating him. You can also limit the damage out of the pen. Give him a clean inning with a lead, if he gets into trouble he's gone.

The walks are killing us.

I'm at a loss to explain Jimenez's BB problem this year. I really am. As Puck pointed out, his other numbers are pretty good. The walks, though...

I went back and reviewed Jimenez's career game logs, and (since becoming a full time starter in 2008) he's only had two seasons in which he threw six games with 5+ walks: 2008 and 2012. Well, before this year, anyway. In 2014, he's already pitched in six games in which he gave up 5+ walks. In his other seasons, you're talking about 31+ starts over the course of a full year, and yet he's only made 18 starts in 2014.

Just one more game with 5+ walks, and Jimenez will have himself a career high. One more 6-walk game, and he'll tie a career high set in 2010. He's never given up 7+ walks in a game, so let's hope that Buck doesn't let him reach that milestone.

I really like Jimenez because he strikes me as a smart pitcher who uses all his offerings to keep hitters off balance, but the control issues are starting to wear me down. It's really unprecedented for him, regardless of his rep coming into this season.

Archived