Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

It is a combination of a couple things.

1- His strong finish last year with a hint of that big start to the season he had back in the day.

2- Guy gets the biggest contract ever for a pitcher from a team and folks' expectations go up.

I tried to point out how miserable he was in 2012 but most folks didn't listen.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a combination of a couple things.

1- His strong finish last year with a hint of that big start to the season he had back in the day.

2- Guy gets the biggest contract ever for a pitcher from a team and folks' expectations go up.

I tried to point out how miserable he was in 2012 but most folks didn't listen.

I thought the contract was fine, and still do, based on the going rate for FA pitchers, coupled with the Orioles' near-total inability to develop pitchers of their own. That inability might, might be ending thanks to guys like Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey...but those are just three names, and I think it was 100% fair to think over the winter that "help" needed to come from outside the organization.

If he gets the walks under control, I expect this issue to go away. In 2012 Ubaldo was a different kind of terrible (more HR/9, significantly more FBs, fewer Ks, (slightly) higher LD%, etc.).

I thought the contract was fine, and still do, based on the going rate for FA pitchers, coupled with the Orioles' near-total inability to develop pitchers of their own. That inability might, might be ending thanks to guys like Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey...but those are just three names, and I think it was 100% fair to think over the winter that "help" needed to come from outside the organization.

If he gets the walks under control, I expect this issue to go away. In 2012 Ubaldo was a different kind of terrible (more HR/9, significantly more FBs, fewer Ks, (slightly) higher LD%, etc.).

Agree with this. 12.5M per year isn't the end of the world, but it would be a lot more palatable on a 3 year deal. Once the walks calm down, and I see no reason to think they won't, we should find him to be a serviceable MOR SP.

Well, again I'm wondering which Ubaldo we see tonight. He can't be much more uninspiring than Gonzalez was last night and he certainly won't be a candidate for the pen unless they think it's too get him on track with his mechanics. I certainly think his stuff is better than Miggy's right now, but the control issue looms.

Well, again I'm wondering which Ubaldo we see tonight. He can't be much more uninspiring than Gonzalez was last night and he certainly won't be a candidate for the pen unless they think it's too get him on track with his mechanics. I certainly think his stuff is better than Miggy's right now, but the control issue looms.

I am going out on a limb here. He only walks a couple but line drives all over the place.

Watching this guy pitch makes me want to smoke again. Not joking, I have a hard time watching when he pitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Ubaldo has a hard time watching as well. I swear, sometimes it seems like he is on the verge of tears when the camera finds him between innings in the dugout.

Would not be surprised one bit to find out that he suffers from bouts of anxiety (more so than average player).

Sometimes it just seems like baseball is bad for Ubaldo.

I still don't understand why people are so shocked by what Ubaldo is. The only thing that surprises me thus far is that he's walking people at a career high pace. He's walking almost a full batter more per nine innings right now than he did in his career worst year in 2012. But other than that, everything else, including the "short" outings, is right in line with what everyone should have expected going in.

He may walk less than his career year once this is one. Other than that, I think this is the part of your post with facts allowed to breathe.

I think Ubaldo has a hard time watching as well. I swear, sometimes it seems like he is on the verge of tears when the camera finds him between innings in the dugout.

Would not be surprised one bit to find out that he suffers from bouts of anxiety (more so than average player).

Sometimes it just seems like baseball is bad for Ubaldo.

Didn't we all read that article about loss of identity in 2012?

Didn't we all read that article about loss of identity in 2012?

I don't know if we all did, but I did.

If I am thinking of the same one you are, I came away from it feeling real concerned for both the player and the organization - considering what they/we are expecting of him.

Can't recall specific mention of diagnosed anxiety in the article (although I could be "mis-remembering"). I DO remember him not wanted to be a pitcher though.

I'm no psychologist, but this picture does appear to show he is conflicted...

hi-res-4bc3e4c0d566ff50f48f838f9d69c7fa_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

...happy, sad, or both?

I am going out on a limb here. He only walks a couple but line drives all over the place.
So do I get credit or not?

What do you want, a ribbon? No, pretty good.;)

They tried to send Ubaldo to the bullpen, but, he missed it.

Norris' MRI may delay it but it's coming.

I don't know if we all did, but I did.

If I am thinking of the same one you are, I came away from it feeling real concerned for both the player and the organization - considering what they/we are expecting of him.

Can't recall specific mention of diagnosed anxiety in the article (although I could be "mis-remembering"). I DO remember him not wanted to be a pitcher though.

I'm no psychologist, but this picture does appear to show he is conflicted...

hi-res-4bc3e4c0d566ff50f48f838f9d69c7fa_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

...happy, sad, or both?

My word, what a perfect picture for this thread. I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy.

Archived