Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

Just looking at his line, there's not much to complain about. 7 innings, 3 ER, just 92 pitches thrown. And, as you mentioned, no walks. The only thing that bothers me is that it didn't look like Tillman had command of his fastball (again) and it was pretty slow (again). Both Tillman and Jimenez are operating with a razor-thin margin for error right now. But at least Tillman seemed to have a pretty good grip on his offspeed pitches today.

He did hit 92-93 a few times today but I agree with you. The ability to pitch at that velocity for both of them regularly allows them more room for error. I only remember one, maybe two games when Ubaldo was up in that area for a good part of the game.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did hit 92-93 a few times today but I agree with you. The ability to pitch at that velocity for both of them regularly allows them more room for error. I only remember one, maybe two games when Ubaldo was up in that area for a good part of the game.

Ubaldo's definitely not putting much, if any, distance between himself and Tillman in the velocity department. I do think Ubaldo's FB moves more than Tillman's, but regardless...89-91 isn't going to get you as much of a cushion as 92-93. I think the reduced velocity also poses a big problem for Ubaldo because, unlike Tillman, he relies on getting hitters to chase breaking pitches out of the zone. IMO, Tillman's done a better job of throwing his offspeed stuff for strikes.

It's really is funny that, depending on how Gonzo does in his next several starts, we really could be looking at a situation in which the "odd man out" just...has to be one of the two guys who was supposed to lead the freakin' rotation this year. On my current "confidence" scale for the O's rotation, I'd have to put Tillman/Jimenez dead last.

Ubaldo's definitely not putting much, if any, distance between himself and Tillman in the velocity department. I do think Ubaldo's FB moves more than Tillman's, but regardless...89-91 isn't going to get you as much of a cushion as 92-93. I think the reduced velocity also poses a big problem for Ubaldo because, unlike Tillman, he relies on getting hitters to chase breaking pitches out of the zone. IMO, Tillman's done a better job of throwing his offspeed stuff for strikes.

It's really is funny that, depending on how Gonzo does in his next several starts, we really could be looking at a situation in which the "odd man out" just...has to be one of the two guys who was supposed to lead the freakin' rotation this year. On my current "confidence" scale for the O's rotation, I'd have to put Tillman/Jimenez dead last.

I agree, but I think they have higher ceilings than at least three of the four other starters. Well, maybe not Chen. He's been surprising of late.

I agree, but I think they have higher ceilings than at least three of the four other starters. Well, maybe not Chen. He's been surprising of late.

I want to be cautiously optimistic about Chen. Improved FB + doesn't walk people = relatively inexpensive unicorn. Hopefully he can keep it up.

I want to be cautiously optimistic about Chen. Improved FB + doesn't walk people = relatively inexpensive unicorn. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Cautious with how he finishes out the season, i.e. does he taper off again like he has before after having a strong first half.

Ok,he only gave up one but are people really happy with his performance? It could have easily been four to five runs. 6 BB in less than 6 IP and it was excruciating at least for me.

If Jones doesn't bail him out with a great throw to double up a runner at the plate there's at least another run and maybe more in that inning and then later TJ bails him out.

One of the strangest outings I've seen. And again, when he's on he has really good stuff, but the lack of command from one inning to the next is so frustrating.

Ok,he only gave up one but are people really happy with his performance? It could have easily been four to five runs. 6 BB in less than 6 IP and it was excruciating at least for me.

If Jones doesn't bail him out with a great throw to double up a runner at the plate there's at least another run and maybe more in that inning and then later TJ bails him out.

One of the strangest outings I've seen. And again, when he's on he has really good stuff, but the lack of command from one inning to the next is so frustrating.

Ubaldo was awful tonight. Orioles could have easily lost this game by 6-7. He was saved by some sharp D and poor clutch hitting from NYY.

Buck agrees with you.

All the hand wringing about Ubaldo only going 5 2/3's makes me wonder. Do the O's understand what the bought in signing Ubaldo? He averaged 5 2/3 in 2012. He averaged 5 2/3 in 2013. Why do they think that will change? Just accept it and move on.

The O's needed to add a starter this off season so Gausman had time to develop. Mission accomplished. The O's are still in it and Gausman is ready to be in the rotation. So don't think that Ubaldo is something he is not. He normally is not going to go deep in games.

All the hand wringing about Ubaldo only going 5 2/3's makes me wonder. Do the O's understand what the bought in signing Ubaldo? He averaged 5 2/3 in 2012. He averaged 5 2/3 in 2013. Why do they think that will change? Just accept it and move on.

The O's needed to add a starter this off season so Gausman had time to develop. Mission accomplished. The O's are still in it and Gausman is ready to be in the rotation. So don't think that Ubaldo is something he is not. He normally is not going to go deep in games.

100% correct.

But man four years was a high price to pay.

I think if he was on a one or two year deal folks wouldn't be so antsy about how he is doing.

100% correct.

I think if he was on a one or two year deal folks wouldn't be so antsy about how he is doing.

I doubt he is with the O's for four year. He will have some good streaks. The O's will trade him at some point along the way. Not this season though.

I doubt he is with the O's for four year. He will have some good streaks. The O's will trade him at some point along the way. Not this season though.

I found myself thinking the same thing. And then I think,"What if he has a good streak and they want hold into him because they think he'a finally turned it around?"

I'd like to be able to recoup some value for what I considered a bad contract from the outset, but I don't want his inefficiency hurting the team in the long run.

I don't have confidence that the good "streaks" will outweigh the bad. And I'm an optimist, but pragmatism reigns supreme.

Here's to Wallace and whatever combination of pitching coaches we have to get him throwing strikes.

100% correct.

It was unlikely that they were going to get him, or someone of similar quality (however little weight people give that word as applied to Ubaldo) for one or two years. In hindsight, Tim Hudson was probably the best investment that could've been made, and the Giants snatched him up in November. After that, Colon's doing...OK for the Mets as an NL pitcher (how his 3.88 ERA in the NL East would translate to this league is up for debate), and everyone else has an ERA over 4.00 (albeit barely in a couple cases), unless Feldman's 3/30 deal is starting to look attractive?

I still don't understand why people are so shocked by what Ubaldo is. The only thing that surprises me thus far is that he's walking people at a career high pace. He's walking almost a full batter more per nine innings right now than he did in his career worst year in 2012. But other than that, everything else, including the "short" outings, is right in line with what everyone should have expected going in. And if anyone in the O's organization is surprised, shame on them for not doing nearly enough homework.

Last winter's "plan" seemed more like a hastily contrived, "get who we can get once other teams make their picks" slopfest than a coherent strategy for long term success. Maybe the Ubaldo contract is simply a product of that. I still think he'll improve over the long haul, though.

Archived