Adam Jones is The Man

Rene88

He's about as close to Frank Robinson as Chris Tillman is to Jim Palmer.

Frank through age 28: .304/.390/.566, 291 HR, 896 RBI, 150 OPS+.

Adam through age 28: .281/.322/.466, 154 HR, 528 RBI, 110 OPS+.

I like Adam a lot, but let's not kid ourselves.

Robinson had huge stats right out off the get go though so he is going to have a lot more homers and RBI. However if you look at the numbers the last three years at the same age you get numbers a bit closer..

Robinson numbers 26-28: .305 89 homers 323 RBI .942 OPS Frank had a huge season at 26. 27 and 28 were ok at best.

Jones 26-hlalf 28 season .290 79 Homers 237 RBI .820 OPS

No he is not Frank but his average is not far off from him and he will have more homers over the span and will not be far off on RBI.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robinson had huge stats right out off the get go though so he is going to have a lot more homers and RBI. However if you look at the numbers the last three years at the same age you get numbers a bit closer..

Robinson numbers 26-28: .305 89 homers 323 RBI .942 OPS Frank had a huge season at 26. 27 and 28 were ok at best.

Jones 26-hlalf 28 season .290 79 Homers 237 RBI .820 OPS

No he is not Frank but his average is not far off from him and he will have more homers over the span and will not be far off on RBI.

The one big differnce in the two is Frank had a much higher OBP which caused his OPS to be a lot higher as well.

I think perhaps weams meant he's like Frank Robinson in the locker room. 'Cause yeah, the best comp to Frank on the field in today's game would be Miguel Cabrera with an OF glove.

The closest Hall of Fame comp to Adam Jones may be Andre Dawson. Dawson was better than Jones through age 28, but might be worse than Jones through his 30s. Another RH bat with power who didn't walk much. Would Jones eventually need to move off CF like Dawson did? Time will tell.

He's about as close to Frank Robinson as Chris Tillman is to Jim Palmer.

Frank through age 28: .304/.390/.566, 291 HR, 896 RBI, 150 OPS+.

Adam through age 28: .281/.322/.466, 154 HR, 528 RBI, 110 OPS+.

I like Adam a lot, but let's not kid ourselves.

I meant he is our team leader. He's a rock.

And yet, he has not been voted in to the ASG.

As of right now (polls close Thursday):

OUTFIELD

1. Jose Bautista, Blue Jays: 4,460,245

2. Mike Trout, Angels: 4,085,647

3. Yoenis Cespedes, A's: 1,941,553

4. Melky Cabrera, Blue Jays: 1,929,506

5. Adam Jones, Orioles: 1,853,268

6. Michael Brantley, Indians: 1,630,452

Autobots... Roll out! And vote Jones in.

And yet, he has not been voted in to the ASG.

As of right now (polls close Thursday):

OUTFIELD

1. Jose Bautista, Blue Jays: 4,460,245

2. Mike Trout, Angels: 4,085,647

3. Yoenis Cespedes, A's: 1,941,553

4. Melky Cabrera, Blue Jays: 1,929,506

5. Adam Jones, Orioles: 1,853,268

6. Michael Brantley, Indians: 1,630,452

Autobots... Roll out! And vote Jones in.

He should atleast be ahead of Melky... The Top three seem about right. In my opinion

He should atleast be ahead of Melky... The Top three seem about right. In my opinion

I wonder if Bautista's going to make the ASG. That would clear the room for Adam Jones to possibly start. Michael Brantley's having a killer season though.

Adam is a smart guy. I know he hung around the Ravens locker room periodically and I have often wondered if he picked up a thing or two about leadership from Ray Ray. You can say what you want about Ray Lewis but the guy knew how to lead. AJ being a smart kid may have absorbed some of the principles and applied them to his surroundings if that makes sense. In any case I love his clubhouse role and think it is far more valuable than we give it credit for

Adam is a smart guy. I know he hung around the Ravens locker room periodically and I have often wondered if he picked up a thing or two about leadership from Ray Ray. You can say what you want about Ray Lewis but the guy knew how to lead. AJ being a smart kid may have absorbed some of the principles and applied them to his surroundings if that makes sense. In any case I love his clubhouse role and think it is far more valuable than we give it credit for

No matter what you think of Ray Lewis, the odds that Adam Jones got any leadership skills from being in the Ravens locker room are slim to none. So far as I know, his only visit to the Ravens locker room was after the playoff win in New Englabd in January 2013. Jones has had a vocal role in the Orioles locker room for at least five years. And baseball players don't build themselves to an emotional fever pitch before games the way football players do. It's counterproductive in baseball.

For all the talk about how Jones is overrated defensively he still has a positive dWAR score. He's had only one really bad season (2012). I think that's the one where he was playing too shallow.

I think when most people say he's "overrated" (defensively) they don't think of a "Gold Glover" as being an average to below average defender. Which he has been since 2009 (by the metrics). Also, he's particularly poor when you isolate the "range" component.

Great all around game from Jones tonight. Two of the best defensive plays I've seen him make this year.

It seems like AJ's cut more balls off this year than ever before. I wonder if that's simply because he's playing deeper or because we have among the slowest LF/RF combination in the major's.

I don't think of AJ as a speed demon but he's been making lots of those sliding/sprinting plays to keep base runners to fewer bases. And his arm strength (eyeball test: one of the best among all CFs) would probably allow him to play deep most of the time.

No matter what you think of Ray Lewis, the odds that Adam Jones got any leadership skills from being in the Ravens locker room are slim to none. So far as I know, his only visit to the Ravens locker room was after the playoff win in New Englabd in January 2013. Jones has had a vocal role in the Orioles locker room for at least five years. And baseball players don't build themselves to an emotional fever pitch before games the way football players do. It's counterproductive in baseball.

It worked for Ty Cobb and John McGraw. At least for the stereotypes of them as seen from 100 years away.

Jones is actually still a Colts fan.

Archived