Adam Jones is The Man

Rene88

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was quite a torrid June for Jones: .348/.383/.643, 9 HR, 20 RBI. Arguably, the best month of his entire career (though he had a higher OPS in April 2009, and more HR and RBI in May 2012).

Extend him? ;)

I don't know what his true dollar value is worth but I really hope he's an Oriole for life (though he started in Seattle) whatever we have to pay, for several reasons.

1. He's constant. While our other vets and best players have all had ups and downs over the past 4-5 years (Kakes, Wieters, Crush, JJ to an extent, any of our pitchers) — Adam has been extremely productive and reliable every year.

2. He's the face of our team on and off the field, and has embraced Baltimore with arms wide open. I'm reminded of his comments when he signed his contract in 2012: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7977406/adam-jones-signs-largest-contract-baltimore-orioles-history

Several media members asked Jones about his decision to commit to an organization that hasn't fielded a winning team since 1997. Over the past decade and a half, the Orioles are neck-and-neck with the Pittsburgh Pirates in rebuilding plans gone awry.

Jones' response: He wants to stick around because he can't conceive of the alternative.

"You see a lot of different guys go to free agency and switch teams,'' Jones said. "I fit here in this city. I fit here on this team. I fit in Camden Yards. I really don't see myself wearing another white uniform that doesn't have 'Orioles' across the chest.

"If we win here, this is my championship. This is our championship. I'm not part of someone else's championship. Putting all that in perspective, that makes me even hungrier to win. As a competitor, that's ultimately what I want. We can beat the odds here. I want to be a part of that.''

Everything about that is just full of awesome.

Anyone else noticed his OPS is up to .840, and his OBP is at .330? I mean yeah it's still largely average driven but I've come to expect that from him. I took a while, but he's really come on the last month or so.

Adam Jones, top 15 hitter?

Adam Jones, top 15 hitter?

He's 9th in all of baseball in terms of fWAR among position players. He's ahead of...a lot of good names, and a lot of good OFers (e.g., Puig, McCutchen, Heyward, Cespedes, etc.). In fact, he trails only Trout, Gordon, Stanton, Bautista, and CarGo among OFers.

Some WAR statistics just annoy me. For instance according to ESPN, Adam Jones has an offensive WAR of 3.0 while St. Louis shortstop Jhonny Peralta has an offensive WAR of 3.4. Peralta is hitting .239, with a .321 OBP, .754 OPS, 11 HR, 36 RBI.

No matter how you slice is Peralta's offensive ranking — by any measure — should not be above Jones'.

Some WAR statistics just annoy me. For instance according to ESPN, Adam Jones has an offensive WAR of 3.0 while St. Louis shortstop Jhonny Peralta has an offensive WAR of 3.4. Peralta is hitting .239, with a .321 OBP, .754 OPS, 11 HR, 36 RBI.

No matter how you slice is Peralta's offensive ranking — by any measure — should not be above Jones'.

ESPN uses baseball-reference WAR, but regardless...the number you're citing isn't oWAR. It's overall, including defense (Peralta's has been exceptional, which is why the number is so high). Peralta's oWAR is 1.8, versus 2.9 for Jones.

For so many years for the past 15 or so I would say to myself, 'why can't we have just one player like X'. You know, that guy you can plug into the middle of the order who is consistent and makes the lineup around him better.

Sometimes I don't appreciate that we have that now in Jones. Add on top of that he is a good fielder, a leader and funny. My favorite O's player in a long time and if he brings a championship to Baltimore he will definitely be among the O's greats.

Appreciate him while he's in his prime everyone!

No matter how you slice is Peralta's offensive ranking ? by any measure ? should not be above Jones'.

Maybe Peralta is a really really good baserunner?

No matter how you slice is Peralta's offensive ranking ? by any measure ? should not be above Jones'.

I just looked at fangraphs and I'm not sure where you're getting your stats; fangraphs has Jones WAY ahead of Peralta offensively, and baseball ref has Peralta at 1.8 and Jones at 2.9 oWAR.

Archived