Where will Reimold go? (Update: DFA)

Aglets

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might try to dump Lough just to keep him. Maybe even bring Weeks up for one of the dynamic duo at 2B if Buck feels the need for a backup CF.

I don't think I'd DFA Young for him, and that's something I've been pushing as this was coming to a head.

If we weren't temporarly down to a 24 man roster (because of Manny), I wonder if we wouldn't have kept him and tried to buy some more time.

I still would.

Young's recent success does not mean that we should expect similar production for the rest of the season. Nolan, in my eyes, has superior power, speed and plate discipline. Young should hit for higher average.

Of course the FO is setting itself up for a huge amount of grief if they dump a successful Young for Nolan and he either gets hurt or doesn't produce. It's a lot easier to stay the course.

If Nolan could be remotely relied on to be on the field then it would make sense.

39, 87, 16, 40 .... not not lottery numbers but rather the number of games Nolan has played in each of the last four seasons.

DD would be a fool to DFA a guy who is filling a role productively for a guy with that track record on a team with playoff aspirations. Its just not smart.

I hope Nolan can stay in the organization and if not I hope he can stay healthy and put up stats somewhere else not in the AL lol. DD is absolutely doing the right thing by trying all he can to keep him but is also doing right by not DFA Young instead.

I still would.

Young's recent success does not mean that we should expect similar production for the rest of the season. Nolan, in my eyes, has superior power, speed and plate discipline. Young should hit for higher average.

Of course the FO is setting itself up for a huge amount of grief if they dump a successful Young for Nolan and he either gets hurt or doesn't produce. It's a lot easier to stay the course.

No way dude, Young has actually had decent sustained success on the MLB stage, Nolan has not. He just hasn't and there is no way we can honestly say that he has. Young, for all his problems, has actually produced for the team, Nolan is still a walking MASH unit who has never been able to show any ability to stay on the field.

That being said, Young's history is unfortunate. I would not weep if he were not on the team. But if he didn't have the baggage he has we would not be having the conversation.

Most everyone with a brain would have DFA-Ed lough for Reimold. I would have DFA-Ed Lough for Peguero.

Moral of story: Lough blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lough fills an entirely different role than Nolan would fill. Lough can back up CF, PR and is a good defensive replacement. If there were any two candidates to replace it would be Pearce (um hell no) or Young.

If you DFA Young, Lough or Pearce all of whom are sure to be claimed then Nolan comes up holding some random body part 5 days later that would be an epic fail and Dan would be rightfully lambasted for trusting in Nolan once again. It would also be different if this team was not hot and heavy in a playoff race.

You might as well suggest they give Flaherty or Schoop spot to him..

No way dude, Young has actually had decent sustained success on the MLB stage, Nolan has not. He just hasn't and there is no way we can honestly say that he has. Young, for all his problems, has actually produced for the team, Nolan is still a walking MASH unit who has never been able to show any ability to stay on the field.

That being said, Young's history is unfortunate. I would not weep if he were not on the team. But if he didn't have the baggage he has we would not be having the conversation.

Eh, not so sure about that. He's been a replacement level ball player for many years now. He's had many opportunities to show his potential despite his "baggage". He wasn't good last year. Remember, we initially only gave him a Mil deal, so no other team wanted him as a ML player and probably a lot didn't want him on a Mil deal. He excelled in ST, took advantage of the opportunity and is doing very well for us in his very limited role/niche. Lets not try and rationalize the he's been a very good player. He hasn't been.

Eh, not so sure about that. He's been a replacement level ball player for many years now. He's had many opportunities to show his potential despite his "baggage". He wasn't good last year. Remember, we initially only gave him a Mil deal, so no other team wanted him as a ML player and probably a lot didn't want him on a Mil deal. He excelled in ST, took advantage of the opportunity and is doing very well for us in his very limited role/niche. Lets not try and rationalize the he's been a very good player. He hasn't been.

A replacement level player is better than the guy who always needs to be replaced ....just saying

If I had to choose one of Reimold, Young, or Lough, releasing the other two, I'd take Lough. And I don't even think much of Lough.

Lough fills an entirely different role than Nolan would fill. Lough can back up CF, PR and is a good defensive replacement. If there were any two candidates to replace it would be Pearce (um hell no) or Young.

If you DFA Young, Lough or Pearce all of whom are sure to be claimed then Nolan comes up holding some random body part 5 days later that would be an epic fail and Dan would be rightfully lambasted for trusting in Nolan once again. It would also be different if this team was not hot and heavy in a playoff race.

You might as well suggest they give Flaherty or Schoop spot to him..

Enough with the backup CF. Jones is always playing. If he gets hurt, recall Berry.

Understood your points though just tired of keeping Lough around to play 1 inning of defense and fall around rounding 3rd. Silly me for not seeing the value there:)

If I had to choose one of Reimold, Young, or Lough, releasing the other two, I'd take Lough. And I don't even think much of Lough.

Well, Lough does appear to be an elite defender and a good base runner, but yeah, we're not in the National League where that kind of thing is more of a luxury.

I'd say the points about Remold's ability to stay healthy are pretty fair at this point.

Enough with the backup CF. Jones is always playing. If he gets hurt, recall Berry.

Understood your points though just tired of keeping Lough around to play 1 inning of defense and fall around rounding 3rd. Silly me for not seeing the value there:)

Characterizing his base running skills and speed by saying "fall around rounding 3rd" is kinda disingenuous.

I get you don't value that but seems to me a lot of teams other than the O's do as well.

195/.250/.586 in 128 AB was Nolan's BA/OBP/OPS last year.

.191/.268/.555 in 114 AB is Lough's BA/OBP/OPS

Yea Nolan is vastly superior......maybe he was at one time but injuries, neck surgeries and lack of play have an impact. People act as if Reimold is somehow the same cat we saw in 2009 or at times in 2011

Why would you replace similar numbers with more versatility and speed (Lough) for a guy who cant stay on the field ? I get he was hurt last year but in fairness how often has he not been hurt the past 4 yrs...thats just reality

Archived