Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

If Gonzalez doesn't find his splitter, he won't be in the majors much longer. He can't survive without it and he hasn't had it for three straight starts. It was awful today.

This. We have known Matusz for what he is for a while. Gonzo needs that splitter to be Gonzo again, then we aren't kvetching about Matusz. Well, at least not as much.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bull. He was playing him to pull and the ball wasn't hit that high. Very, very few rightfielders catch that ball. I know it is lots of fun to act like Nick runs terribly, but he got a good jump on that ball and looked to be moving well on it.

I get so tired of the BS about Markakis in right. The guy is fine rightfielder. He doesn't run great, but he usually gets good jumps, take good routes, catches anything he touches, throws well, and is extremely accurate yet people bash his defense all the time. He will be gone soon though so guys like you will be happy.

Of course, my guess is you won't be happy. You'll just complain about something else. Complaining about stuff like Nick Markakis' speed on defense is just complaining to complain IMO. Markakis, Jones, and several others are what is RIGHT about this team. If you can't root for and support them wholeheartedly, I just don't know what it takes for you.

I was just hoping that Nick would dive and catch it. He did not appear to be overly slow on it.

Get serious. Anyone who thinks Ubaldo is going to the pen is living in a fantasy land. There is nobody short of KG who has the upside that Ubaldo has when he gets going. No chance they put him in the pen. It will be and should be Gonzales if one of them is not traded

I agree. And the fact that Ubaldo often cannot throw strikes to save his life makes putting him in the bullpen an even worse option.

People keep writing this, but it isn't true. He gave up a two run double to the first batter he faced James Loney WHO IS LEFT HANDED. He also gave up a massive two run homer to Matt Joyce WHO IS LEFT HI IANDED. Both pitches were AWFUL. He didn't get hit by just righties.

Buck left him in once he blew it to save the pen. It wasn't bad managing. It was good managing.

Matusz just isn't that good. It makes no difference whether he's pitching to LH or RHB.

I agree. And the fact that Ubaldo often cannot throw strikes to save his life makes putting him in the bullpen an even worse option.

Not if he's in a mop up role or is given a very short leash. The goal is to get him to where he is mechanically sound. Adjustments like that may be easier to apply while he's in the BP with the understanding that he gets back in the rotation with any improvement.

Stevo, I said "needs", not would. We're stuck with Ubaldo starting for a long while.

KK sry misunderstood.

Call it a gut feeling but I think he has a good second half. Not spectacular but pretty good. Prob wrong but we can hope I am not

Ubaldo is streaky, everyone knows that. I only hope he's half as good as he's been bad so far. I love watching him when he's on, but when he's not be drives me crazy. I used to feel that way about Daniel Cabrerra. But Ubaldo at least has a no hitter, so at least there is hope.

Not if he's in a mop up role or is given a very short leash. The goal is to get him to where he is mechanically sound. Adjustments like that may be easier to apply while he's in the BP with the understanding that he gets back in the rotation with any improvement.

Hard to see how an already strained pen can hide Ubaldo easily in only mopup or short leash situations. Meek came in today, Matusz, there is no way to just limit Ubaldo to those infrequent situations and be in a pennant race. Plus, as far as I can tell, he has never pitched even once out of the bullpen in either the minors or majors.

Ubaldo is streaky, everyone knows that. I only hope he's half as good as he's been bad so far. I love watching him when he's on, but when he's not be drives me crazy. I used to feel that way about Daniel Cabrerra. But Ubaldo at least has a no hitter, so at least there is hope.

It is maddening to watch him pitch sometimes...agree with that sentiment 100%. I just got a feeling he gets it somewhat straight in the second half.

Hard to see how an already strained pen can hide Ubaldo easily in only mopup or short leash situations. Meek came in today, Matusz, there is no way to just limit Ubaldo to those infrequent situations and be in a pennant race. Plus, as far as I can tell, he has never pitched even once out of the bullpen in either the minors or majors.

Its a Utopian exercise anyway. Unless he completely melts down and pitches worse than has for the next 6-8 weeks there is no chance he goes to the pen and even then I would guess he would hit the DL first

If you get rid of him the question is who replaces him. Rapada is a strict loogy, at this point maybe that is all Matusz is either. I think you keep TJ as a long man.

Britton

O'Day

Webb

Hunter

Matusz

TJ

Brach

Maybe we can afford a LOOGY, not like Buck can trust Matusz vs a RHP anyway.

I was just hoping that Nick would dive and catch it. He did not appear to be overly slow on it.

Right field is the sun field that time of day. My guess is that Nick didn't see the ball coming off the bat. But the bottom line is that Matusz had absolutely nothing today.

Archived