Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right field is the sun field that time of day. My guess is that Nick didn't see the ball coming off the bat. But the bottom line is that Matusz had absolutely nothing today.

I think this is just who Matusz is.

As a matter of fact I dread whenever he is put into a game.

Pretty much any run of the mill lefty reliever is more deserving of a roster spot than he.

Matusz just isn't that good. It makes no difference whether he's pitching to LH or RHB.

Say what?

Entering today, lefties had a .618 OPS against Matusz. Righties had a 1.000 OPS. How can you possibly say it "makes no difference"? He was awful today, and has been atrocious against righties, but let's not act like he hasn't been getting lefties out this year.

Say what?

Entering today, lefties had a .618 OPS against Matusz. Righties had a 1.000 OPS. How can you possibly say it "makes no difference"? He was awful today, and has been atrocious against righties, but let's not act like he hasn't been getting lefties out this year.

I honestly think he would thrive in the NL. I would trade him for Jake Arrietta with the Cubs:)

Say what?

Eh, because he's not being used exclusively vs LHB? I'm not arguing his effectiveness and my statement was a bit clumsy, but what has indicated he would be used only against LHB?

Eh, because he's not being used exclusively vs LHB? I'm not arguing his effectiveness and my statement was a bit clumsy, but what has indicated he would be used only against LHB?

Ah, you mean that Matusz's ineffectiveness against righties makes him a poor relief option overall. I agree with that, actually. Even LOOGYs need to be able to hold their own against righties, since there's no such thing as a pitcher who faces 100% lefties.

Where are all the people who keep clamoring for the team to make him a starter? I have always said he can't start because he can't get right handlers out. And people said I don't know what I was talking about. He had one decent start against the Rays a couple of years ago and I mentioned how the Rays line up had a bunch of left handlers who couldn't hit lefties at all and I was blasted.

The guy has always looked scared out there. I never saw anything in him and I could never tell what made people think he was a top draft pick.

Matusz has made 36 appearances. He has allowed earned runs in 10 of them (28% of games). In 11 of those appearances he has walked at least one batter. In 4 of those appearances he has allowed at least one homer. In 22 of them he has allowed at least 1 hit (61% of games).

He had a very good stretch at one point this year, however.

His peak ERA was against the Yankees on April 8th (allowed 1 ER, 2 H in 2/3 IP) for a 11.57 ERA. From that point on to May 28th (not counting that Brewers game) he had an ERA of 2.60. That was pretty impressive.

Since May 28th, however?

12 1/3 IP, 12 ER, 19 H, 4 BB, 5 HR, 8.76 ERA 333/387/702 - 1.089.

Even if we remove his most recent clunker?

10 IP, 12 H, 4 BB, 7 ER, 6.30 ERA 279/354/558 - 912.

FWIW, I fully blame Buck on how he handles Matusz. Matusz is not in any shape or form anything more than a LOOGY.

For someone that is definitely a LOOGY, his splits this year:

LHB: 59 plate appearances, 236/288/418 - 706 OPS

RHB: 81 plate appearances, 348/432/652 - 1.084 OPS

Matusz is a LOOGY but he's seeing more righties than lefties. That is all on Buck.

I think he wants to start and isn't fully engaged. I have no proof, just a thought.

If I were another team, I would def take a flyer. Change of scenery might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I don't think that at all. He knows he sucks as a starter. Already been there and proved that to be so. What I think his problem is he can't handle hot weather. Trade him to the Twins or Seattle and he would probably be fine in the pen, just not in hot, humid, dog days of summer in Baltimore. He always looks like he is about to have a heat stroke this time of year.

Sorry, but I don't think that at all. He knows he sucks as a starter. Already been there and proved that to be so. What I think his problem is he can't handle hot weather. Trade him to the Twins or Seattle and he would probably be fine in the pen, just not in hot, humid, dog days of summer in Baltimore. He always looks like he is about to have a heat stroke this time of year.

His apparent fatigue in hot weather always surprised me until I heard this year that he has asthma.

How did drafting a player who has asthma to play in Baltimore with the highest pollen count in the nation, heat and humidity to boot not raise a red flag?

His apparent fatigue in hot weather always surprised me until I heard this year that he has asthma.

How did drafting a player who has asthma to play in Baltimore with the highest pollen count in the nation, heat and humidity to boot not raise a red flag?

Scouts not doing their proper due dilligence. I call it laziness or lack of dedication to their craft if I was trying to be more diplomatic.

Archived