Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

Tonight was the best Matusz has looked in quite some time. His fastball hit 93 a few times, sat mostly at 92, and had some nice late life. Command of it looked good too. He mixed in some nice change ups and curve was breaking sharply. Nice to see him have a good outing.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This is me right now.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Avn2nT16FA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No doubt that Buck and his TTTP affected Matusz. However this is not the same guy that was blowing away josh hamilton in the wild card play in game. I'd be real interested in a guy like Mike Dunn from the Marlins for our stretch run. I would not be surprised to see Matusz go to the NL and relax and become a swing guy.

No doubt that Buck and his TTTP affected Matusz. However this is not the same guy that was blowing away josh hamilton in the wild card play in game. I'd be real interested in a guy like Mike Dunn from the Marlins for our stretch run. I would not be surprised to see Matusz go to the NL and relax and become a swing guy.

Yeah. I agree. I think Matusz could definitely benefit from a change of scenery. He is part of the bullpen that can be upgraged. Not sure what happened to the guy that was so dominant for parts of a few seasons.

My theory with Matusz is that once it was clear he would not be getting another chance to start, his heart was no longer in it. It's like working extra hard for a promotion and doing well and seeing them hire someone else. This is based on nothing but speculation but subconsciously I think he has just given up in his current role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got squeezed by the umpire but overall in general he's been underwhelming.

He got squeezed, sure. However, he threw three pitches in the exact same location. When the first one wasn't called a strike, it probably should have been an indication that the next two wouldn't be either.

We need a LHP in the pen. This isn't working.

My theory with Matusz is that once it was clear he would not be getting another chance to start, his heart was no longer in it. It's like working extra hard for a promotion and doing well and seeing them hire someone else. This is based on nothing but speculation but subconsciously I think he has just given up in his current role.

I feel the same way. Matusz needs a change.

The really frustrating thing to me is how much money the O's have wasted on Brian Matusz. They have paid him over 10 million dollars, during which time he was the worst starting pitcher in ML history (2011), and now a LOOGY who can't get out LH'ers. He has a career 5.08 ERA, 1.5 WHIP, and 83 ERA+.

I said this many time in the last 5 years, If he wasn't a #4 overall pick he would have been out of the majors 3 years ago.

The Orioles need to improve the bullpen and they can't keep wasting a spot on Brian Matusz.

The really frustrating thing to me is how much money the O's have wasted on Brian Matusz. They have paid him over 10 million dollars, during which time he was the worst starting pitcher in ML history (2011), and now a LOOGY who can't get out LH'ers. He has a career 5.08 ERA, 1.5 WHIP, and 83 ERA+.

I said this many time in the last 5 years, If he wasn't a #4 overall pick he would have been out of the majors 3 years ago.

The Orioles need to improve the bullpen and they can't keep wasting a spot on Brian Matusz.

You are selectively picking out data to make your point seem better than it is. Matusz was very effective for us as a LOOGY when he was put in that role in 2012, and pretty effective last year. He also was a pretty decent starter for us when he was called up in 2009 and in 2010. He hasn't been very good this year, but that doesn't mean that he was a complete waste the entire time he has been here. fangraphs computes he has been worth $17.5 mm in the time he has been on the Orioles. So, I'd say your opinion is colored by the fact that you expected more from a no. 4 overall pick, rather than the Orioles keeping him around because he was the no. 4 pick.

With all that said, I think Matusz is worth keeping this year, but he will probably be non-tendered in the offseason.

You are selectively picking out data to make your point seem better than it is. Matusz was very effective for us as a LOOGY when he was put in that role in 2012, and pretty effective last year. He also was a pretty decent starter for us when he was called up in 2009 and in 2010. He hasn't been very good this year, but that doesn't mean that he was a complete waste the entire time he has been here. fangraphs computes he has been worth $17.5 mm in the time he has been on the Orioles. So, I'd say your opinion is colored by the fact that you expected more from a no. 4 overall pick, rather than the Orioles keeping him around because he was the no. 4 pick.

With all that said, I think Matusz is worth keeping this year, but he will probably be non-tendered in the offseason.

I love these fangraphs numbers. 17.5 million for an 83 ERA+. Really?

If we went buy fangraph numbers I suspect the O's payroll would be over 250 million dollars

Archived