Final Day Trade Rumor Countdown thread. (Deadline 4 PM)

weams

We aren't trying to win now. We are a Tier II team that hasn't made a single trade or signing that moves the needle beyond being a Tier II team.

So, you are of course saying we cannot beat the Angels or A's? There is a local scoreboard that will show you that you are wrong. Look, if you are right, trading all of the youth for a shot is wrong, and doing much of anything is wrong. Yet you seem to be opining that doing nothing is wrong and doing something is wrong. May be missing your point, but that's how it reads to me.

This move may or may not help, it didn't cost the world and it could, could I say, mean the world.

I like our guys!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 Bullpen:

4.25 mil - Darren O'Day (team option)

3.0 mil (ARB2) - Tommy Hunter

2.75 mil - Ryan Webb

2.4 mil (ARB2) - Brian Matusz

800 k (ARB2) - Evan Meek

512 k (ARB1) - Zach Britton

510k (p-ARB) - Brad Brach

506 k (p-ARB) - Steve Johnson

505 k (p-ARB) - TJ McFarland

What would you offer Miller to keep him past this year?

Why does Boston just assume every free agent they had is going to resign with them?

Boston charm? I jest but nothing's guaranteed as we know. Everyone thought they'd keep Damon and he went to the Yankees. For all we know Miller could fall in love with Baltimore and realize he's got a better chance to be a winner here.

I was a fan of trading for EdRod. But not trading him for a guy that really doesn't move the needle.

Not getting this "doesn't move the needle" thing.

Previously we were reliably throwing out a hodgepodge of pitchers in the 7th, O'Day in the 8th, and Britton in the 9th. Obviously, O'Day has been nigh unhittable (righties hit .183 and lefties hit .210 off of him), and Britton's been solid in the 9th (lefties hit .183 and righties hit .190 off of him).

Well, with Miller, you can slot him in for the 7th. Or the 8th. You could even let him close if you wanted, but they won't, so let's ignore that possibility and assume he slots in for the 7th inning. You've now added a guy that lefties can't touch (they're hitting .150 off of him) and righties struggle against too (they're only hitting .180). See what I'm getting at? You added a pitcher who is objectively MORE UNHITTABLE than Darren O'Day has been. So now if your starters can't get into the 7th (looking at you, Chen), it doesn't matter. The game's over after 6.

I was a fan of trading for EdRod. But not trading him for a guy that really doesn't move the needle.

Koji was the reason that the Red Sox won the WS last year. Not saying it is likely that a reliever is the crucial piece, but a guy that they signed to pitch the 7th inning (plus an awful off speed pitch to Papi) is the reason for their 3rd WS in 11 years. Locking down innings 7-9 is a cumulative thing, and very valuable IMO.

Previously we were reliably throwing out a hodgepodge of pitchers in the 7th, O'Day in the 8th, and Britton in the 9th. Obviously, O'Day has been nigh unhittable (righties hit .183 and lefties hit .210 off of him), and Britton's been solid in the 9th (lefties hit .183 and righties hit .190 off of him).

Well, with Miller, you can slot him in for the 7th. Or the 8th. You could even let him close if you wanted, but they won't, so let's ignore that possibility and assume he slots in for the 7th inning. You've now added a guy that lefties can't touch (they're hitting .150 off of him) and righties struggle against too (they're only hitting .180). See what I'm getting at? You added a pitcher who is objectively MORE UNHITTABLE than Darren O'Day has been. So now if your starters can't get into the 7th (looking at you, Chen), it doesn't matter. The game's over after 6.

A fantastic upgrade. Helps four days a week and five of seven games in a playoff. Only a rental. A fair trade off.

Koji was the reason that the Red Sox won the WS last year. Not saying it is likely that a reliever is the crucial piece, but a guy that they signed to pitch the 7th inning (plus an awful off speed pitch to Papi) is the reason for their 3rd WS in 11 years. Locking down innings 7-9 is a cumulative thing, and very valuable IMO.

Damn. Beat me by less than a minute. Varmint jumping must improve your reflexes.

Archived