Nick Markakis: 1,500 Hits (1,501)

OFFNY

why are you jumping on the word fair?

It just seemed like an odd way to phrase it I guess. Like the Orioles have to find a way to do right by Nick. When the Orioles really only need to do what is in their best interests, whether that is "fair" or "unfair" to Nick is purely a collateral consequence.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It just seemed like an odd way to phrase it I guess. Like the Orioles have to find a way to do right by Nick. When the Orioles really only need to do what is in their best interests' date=' whether that is "fair" or "unfair" to Nick is purely a collateral consequence.[/quote']

Not like we are talking buying 100 heard of livestock.

When you sit down with your boss and talk salary, do you want him to be fair and compassionate, keeping an eye on what he can afford, what the market is, and what your value is.

Or do you want him to be a cold hearted SOB and cut your current pay by 50%, because he can, and anything that happens to you, is just co lateral consequences?

Within the next few weeks he's going to pass Mike Bordick, Melvin Mora, Doug Decinces, Paul Blair, Larry Doby, and Jackie Robinson. Closing in on Hughie Jennings and Javy Lopez. Will also go past Riggs Stephenson, who hit .336, and just passed Jim Sundberg who hit .248.

Also just passed HOFers Tommy McCarthy and Ross Youngs, who are on my shortlist for worst inductees. McCarthy is in a league of his own, with a career value of 16 rWAR, and over 1/4 of that in the 1890 American Association, a very weak major league.

Not like we are talking buying 100 heard of livestock.

When you sit down with your boss and talk salary, do you want him to be fair and compassionate, keeping an eye on what he can afford, what the market is, and what your value is.

Or do you want him to be a cold hearted SOB and cut your current pay by 50%, because he can, and anything that happens to you, is just co lateral consequences?

I want my boss to be beyond "fair" and give me 100X more than the value I bring. But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

It just seemed like an odd way to phrase it I guess. Like the Orioles have to find a way to do right by Nick. When the Orioles really only need to do what is in their best interests' date=' whether that is "fair" or "unfair" to Nick is purely a collateral consequence.[/quote']

That may have been true prior to 1975, when players had almost no say in where they played. Players are less likely to see Baltimore as a good place to sign if they treat people like you want them to.

So do you not believe that free agents consider the reputation of the organization they're considering signing with?

Seems like players do, at least the smart ones. And I hope the Orioles as an organization don't low-ball people and don't do anything that is to the detriment of the organization, hence why I said: the Orioles really only need to do what is in their best interests.

Seems like players do' date=' at least the smart ones.[b'] And I hope the Orioles as an organization don't low-ball people and don't do anything that is to the detriment of the organization, hence why I said: the Orioles really only need to do what is in their best interests.
[/b]

All you have done, is restated what I said, but with far more words.

You have to be fair to the person and fair to the organization.

[/b]

All you have done, is restated what I said, but with far more words.

You have to be fair to the person and fair to the organization.

I guess my problem is I think the word "fair" is probably the worst word in the history of the world. And I think when teams get into not trying to do what is in their best interest, but instead, what instead what is fair to the person, you get into some Bobby Bowden-FSU type situation. Where you are no longer doing what is best for the team, because you aren't thinking about the team, you are thinking about the fairness to the person. And then you've set the team back for years. Which you see a lot in sports when there is a sentimental attachment to a particular figure, whether it be a coach or player.

I guess my problem is I think the word "fair" is probably the worst word in the history of the world. And I think when teams get into not trying to do what is in their best interest' date=' but instead, what instead what is fair to the person, you get into some Bobby Bowden-FSU type situation. Where you are no longer doing what is best for the team, because you aren't thinking about the team, you are thinking about the fairness to the person. And then you've set the team back for years. Which you see a lot in sports when there is a sentimental attachment to a particular figure, whether it be a coach or player.[/quote']

So what you're saying is that you hope the Orioles, when weighing fairness and the needs of the organization, don't weight those two factors like 100%-0%, or 90%-10%.

You probaby won't get a lot of disagreement there.

I guess my problem is I think the word "fair" is probably the worst word in the history of the world. And I think when teams get into not trying to do what is in their best interest' date=' but instead, what instead what is fair to the person, you get into some Bobby Bowden-FSU type situation. Where you are no longer doing what is best for the team, because you aren't thinking about the team, you are thinking about the fairness to the person. And then you've set the team back for years. Which you see a lot in sports when there is a sentimental attachment to a particular figure, whether it be a coach or player.[/quote']

This is the payroll situation here, there isn't unlimited funds.

DD has to work with financial responsibility here to the organization, since it's mid-market and not large market team.

It's a waste of money this year as well. Give that money to Hardy or to a FA.

So Markakis is a waste of money yet you want to give Hardy 3 40/45 million a year. Nick has a better average, has scored more runs, hit more homers, drove in more runners, has a much better OBP, a better slugging perfcentage, higher OPS and a better offensive WAR and is also a year younger then Hardy.

Yeah giving Markakis money is a waste but giving it to Hardy is better.

So Markakis is a waste of money yet you want to give Hardy 3 40/45 million a year. Nick has a better average, has scored more runs, hit more homers, drove in more runners, has a much better OBP, a better slugging perfcentage, higher OPS and a better offensive WAR and is also a year younger then Hardy.

Yeah giving Markakis money is a waste but giving it to Hardy is better.

I have no problem just giving Hardy a QO and letting him walk. But if we are going to extend somebody, I'd rather it be Hardy.

I have no problem just giving Hardy a QO and letting him walk. But if we are going to extend somebody' date=' I'd rather it be Hardy.[/quote']

SS is a harder position to find a replacement for than RF, I will give you that.

I think if DD was going to extend JJ, he would have already done it, but maybe I am wrong in my thinking.

Not sure what DD is thinking as long term plans.

Archived