Hardy having MRI on back tomorrow in Baltimore

Greg

Guest rochester
Just where are we going to get this young defense plus SS for next year? Are other teams giving them away? Do we have one parked in our farm system?

The BRob debacle is irrelevant to me. The guy smacked himself in the head with a baseball bat and messed up his career. That could have happened to any player at any age, if he was stupid enough to do the same thing. I don't think it is wise to make decisions based on a fluky experience like that.

I'm happy to consider any studies you want to present about how rare it is to get value from a long term contract with a middle infielder. That's far more relevant than looking at a one-off situation like BRob. Here's a post of mine from before the season started:

That was before this year was played. Since then, he's put up a season worth 3.7 rWAR, 3.5 rWAR -- valued by fangraphs at $19.1 mm. So, I haven't seen a whole lot to change my mind about what he'll be worth in the future. I'd pay the man 3/$36 mm without blinking, even considering the fact that he'll have sat out 17-20 games by the time this year is through.

I completely agree. Pre-Manny injury our defense may have been the strongest part of this team. I also believe that knowing you had that D behind you makes the pitchers better. Any ball hit in the park (except LF at times) that was playable was executed. Even some that weren't playable :) Then add in the OF assists, perfect relay execution and the rising phoenix named Caleb I was confident that we can beat anyone in the playoffs. Now?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he from the KBO?

Yes, former catcher so the arm should play. Described as "savvy" defensively. Sounds like code for limited range.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RhdnNc9WQN0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SPzhkChhdBQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice oppo power in the second vid.

I completely agree. Pre-Manny injury our defense may have been the strongest part of this team. I also believe that knowing you had that D behind you makes the pitchers better. Any ball hit in the park (except LF at times) that was playable was executed. Even some that weren't playable :) Then add in the OF assists, perfect relay execution and the rising phoenix named Caleb I was confident that we can beat anyone in the playoffs. Now?

Yeah, now the path doesn't seem so clear. If Flaherty continues to get significant time at SS I might think his defensive numbers from last year were a fluke. Utility is a label I am more and more comfortable with when discussing Ryan Flaherty.

And Joseph? He makes me left wanting for the return of Matt Wieters. Alright, maybe not in the same capacity that I feel Flaherty is a UIF, but I feel Back Up Catcher is a far more appropriate label than is replacement. Let me talk to Drungo about that catcher ERA for a moment.

As I suspected....

Yeah, now the path doesn't seem so clear. If Flaherty continues to get significant time at SS I might think his defensive numbers from last year were a fluke. Utility is a label I am more and more comfortable with when discussing Ryan Flaherty.

And Joseph? He makes me left wanting for the return of Matt Wieters. Alright, maybe not in the same capacity that I feel Flaherty is a UIF, but I feel Back Up Catcher is a far more appropriate label than is replacement. Let me talk to Drungo about that catcher ERA for a moment.

As I suspected....

They were out of character considering his prior track record.

Just like I am a bit nervous about if Schoop can maintain his level of defense.

They were out of character considering his prior track record.

Just like I am a bit nervous about if Schoop can maintain his level of defense.

The Flash is actually a +2 at 2B and 3B this year. The Flash makes him sound like a super hero doesn't it?

I'll stop that.

Guest rochester

As I suspected....

You worded the Caleb situation better. To have Wieters would be the ultimate but both "back-ups" have filled in well enough to not hurt our chances that greatly but without JJ and Manny - ughhh.

I was thinking a couple day ago that I wonder where we would be with having Wieters and Manny all year - I know the injury thing but....

This is very annoying, but it sounds like the kind of thing where the Orioles are being extra cautious because they have a big lead in the division race and can afford to rests guys who have aches and pains. If the season depended on winning the Boston series, I suspect Hardy would be out there.

As to the long term ramifications for Hardy's contract, I do think his various maladies this season knock his market value down a little, since there's a risk that these types of issues will increase with age. That doesn't change my mind about wanting him to remain in an Orioles uniform, however.

Agreed. Especially the part about if we were playing more meaningful games right now he'd be out there. I am not too worried.

No reason for Hardy to play anymore this regular season' date=' unless it's to test out his back before the playoffs.[/quote']

I agree totally. The big three on this team which we cannot afford to lose ala Manny and Wieters are Jones, Cruz, and Hardy. We lose any of them and stick a fork in us in the playoffs.

No reason for Hardy to play anymore this regular season' date=' unless it's to test out his back before the playoffs.[/quote']

It would be nice for him to get a few games in on 161 and 162 just so he isn't going into the playoffs stone cold.

But yes, in general I agree.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hardy MRI clean. Got injection in back.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hardy MRI clean. Got injection in back.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cortisone injections work well on chronic inflammation for a short while.

I'd prefer to see Hardy playing the majority of the games, but with some rest, just so that he doesn't get rusty. Hopefully we can clinch the division title some time during the 10-day homestand that begins on Friday, and then the Orioles can afford to be as cautious as they wish on the final road trip.

Archived