Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

They've been taking amphetamines in baseball forever. I agree with murphdogg, maybe it asking too much of these guys. 20 days off per season with 4 coming at the all star break. Maybe they should schedule more DH so these guys get more time off.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Less Travel. More regional play.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't that a huge indictment against fWAR?? These advanced metrics leave a lot to be desired by this owg. WAR relies too much on very unscientific defense metrics...

Give me his good first base defense and power- particularly against the elite level pitching in the platoffs.

I know when carefully measured conclusions disagree with my half-considered opinions I assume the guys doing the careful measuring are idiots.

What should we do, tar and feather him? He clearly made a mistake and is being punished. If amphetamine use is rampant in professional baseball perhaps we should look at why. Maybe asking MLB players to play 162 games in 182 days without using performance enhancing drugs is unreasonsable.

I didn't say tar and feather him. He's being punished. Appropriately. People cheat in baseball as in other aspects of life. Davis cheated. He got caught and is being punished. Some people are making excuses because he's an oriole. If he were a Yankee or Red Sox not a single poster would be defending Chris Davis or making convoluted justifications.

So I guess steroid abuse in baseball means mlb should move the fences closer to home field? That's analogous to your reasoning above.

Davis cheated. He got caught. He's paying the price. And so are the team and fans. I'm extremely disappointed. But I'm not calling for stiffer punishment. Just suggesting that some are making excuses because he is an oriole. Not condemning them for it. Just pointing it out.

What was the schedule before?

Before what, amphetamines? Well they played 154 games until 1961 and the league had a much smaller footprint so there was much less travel. I am curious to know the position breakdown of the 120 players with therapeutic use exemptions. It would seem to me that amphetamines would benefit hitters more than pitchers so I am curious how divergent the percentage of hitters vs pitchers with TUEs is compared to the overall MLB population.

I didn't say tar and feather him. He's being punished. Appropriately. People cheat in baseball as in other aspects of life. Davis cheated. He got caught and is being punished. Some people are making excuses because he's an oriole. If he were a Yankee or Red Sox not a single poster would be defending Chris Davis or making convoluted justifications.

So I guess steroid abuse in baseball means mlb should move the fences closer to home field? That's analogous to your reasoning above.

Davis cheated. He got caught. He's paying the price. And so are the team and fans. I'm extremely disappointed. But I'm not calling for stiffer punishment. Just suggesting that some are making excuses because he is an oriole. Not condemning them for it. Just pointing it out.

If everybody was on steroids and each team averaged 120 home runs a season and then nobody was on steroids and each team averaged 20 home runs a season, yeah it would be reasonable to talk about moving the fences in.

They've been taking amphetamines in baseball forever. I agree with murphdogg, maybe it asking too much of these guys. 20 days off per season with 4 coming at the all star break. Maybe they should schedule more DH so these guys get more time off.

Stop making excuses for him. Davis is a cheater no different than Arod.

Stop making excuses for him. Davis is a cheater no different than Arod.

Stop ignoring the fact that 120 players have a waiver for Adderal this season. The question is why do so many need it? Do they all have adhd? It's not a PED. It's an amphetamine which have been taken in baseball for 60+ years. I'm not giving him a pass but a great point was brought up and shockingly it went 10 miles over your head.

Or maybe the manager shouldn't ride them like rented mules.

How about a compromise? Bump the roster up to 28 so there is room on the bench for a couple more position players.

Or maybe the manager shouldn't ride them like rented mules.

How about a compromise? Bump the roster up to 28 so there is room on the bench for a couple more position players.

"People are going to react in the public, are going to rip him and say all this. Let them say what they want. In this clubhouse, there's 25, now 40 guys and we support him. Everybody makes bad decisions. We're going to have to pick it up in other places because he is a big part of our team and our lineup and our clubhouse. We're just going to have to pick it up."

Stop ignoring the fact that 120 players have a waiver for Adderal this season. The question is why do so many need it? Do they all have adhd? It's not a PED. It's an amphetamine which have been taken in baseball for 60+ years. I'm not giving him a pass but a great point was brought up and shockingly it went 10 miles over your head.

Everything I have read leads me to believe it enhances performance.

Archived