Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

No one probably had HIV or Ebola either...are they BS too? Just because ADHD might be over diagnosed doesn't make it BS.

You really just don't know what you're talking about. And we wonder why people are afraid to talk about or address their mental health issues in our society...

I don't think anyone takes that guy seriously. Typical internet tough guy.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But why do you consider this drug abuse? Because baseball banned it?

Davis didn't bother applying for an exemption this year or last year. We've heard nothing, to my knowledge, about whether he has a current, valid prescription from a doctor. If he's regularly taken prescription medication without a prescription, then that's sprinting towards the dictionary definition of drug abuse, no?

Of course, even if he does have some kind of prescription...why on Earth wouldn't he have renewed his attempts to get an exemption prior to either of the last two seasons?

Davis didn't bother applying for an exemption this year or last year. We've heard nothing, to my knowledge, about whether he has a current, valid prescription from a doctor. If he's regularly taken prescription medication without a prescription, then that's sprinting towards the dictionary definition of drug abuse, no?

Of course, even if he does have some kind of prescription...why on Earth wouldn't he have renewed his attempts to get an exemption prior to either of the last two seasons?

Sorry my question wasn't really in relation to Davis. I don't really know what his story is. I guess I asked why he blankety considers it a drug of abuse? Is it just because baseball has it on the banned list?

You are being ridiculous. We are talking about drug abuse. Not using glasses or a bandaid.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to wonder why a drug that helps you focus gets you banned for 25 games, but Brian Roberts' red contacts that helped him see the ball better are perfectly fine. Or even why having a UCL unsuited for the stresses of MLB pitching is perfectly fine to get fixed through surgery, but if you have some other deficiency that could be helped by popping some pills you're out of luck. I think a lot of what is thought of as totally acceptable and what is terribly unfair isn't necessarily logical or consistent.

Not sure. I thought contacts and glasses only got you to 20/20, at best. If they did, wouldn't more people get them to see even better?

You can get contacts that make your vision better than 20/20 but it would make it harder to read. I don't know if seeing better than 20/20 would improve your hitting. It is not like you can't see 90 feet well with standard vision.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to wonder why a drug that helps you focus gets you banned for 25 games, but Brian Roberts' red contacts that helped him see the ball better are perfectly fine. Or even why having a UCL unsuited for the stresses of MLB pitching is perfectly fine to get fixed through surgery, but if you have some other deficiency that could be helped by popping some pills you're out of luck. I think a lot of what is thought of as totally acceptable and what is terribly unfair isn't necessarily logical or consistent.

If you don't live in an open-carry state, it's probably not a good idea to walk into a bank with a loaded handgun.

Davis was well aware of the rules as they currently exist (and have existed). Moral stances aside, his suspension is entirely justified. And before you protest, wondering about why he was suspended vs. why Roberts could wear special contacts is an argument concerning whether Davis' suspension was justified.

Plenty of people who abuse drugs get them from a doctor.. For example Elvis and Michael Jackson.

Plenty of people who abuse drugs get them from a doctor.. For example Elvis and Michael Jackson.

I'm trying to avoid arguing about things that we know nothing about (i.e., the identity and/or ethical disposition of Davis' doctor...or if he even has one who's prescribed him Adderall recently).

No one probably had HIV or Ebola either...are they BS too? Just because ADHD might be over diagnosed doesn't make it BS.

You really just don't know what you're talking about. And we wonder why people are afraid to talk about or address their mental health issues in our society...

I am sure some people have it but probably less than 5 percent of the people who are prescribed the drugs for it as children. I used to have foster kids and I saw kids on all sorts of drugs and psychiatrists who would prescribe stuff by asking kids what they were taking and not even looking up to see which kid they were talking to.

I'm trying to avoid arguing about things that we know nothing about (i.e., the identity and/or ethical disposition of Davis' doctor...or if he even has one who's prescribed him Adderall recently).

Maybe he gets them mailed to him from Canada. None of us know.

If you don't live in an open-carry state, it's probably not a good idea to walk into a bank with a loaded handgun.

Davis was well aware of the rules as they currently exist (and have existed). Moral stances aside, his suspension is entirely justified. And before you protest, wondering about why he was suspended vs. why Roberts could wear special contacts is an argument concerning whether Davis' suspension was justified.

Questioning if such suspensions should occur is not the same as saying that Davis' suspension isn't justified.

Archived